What's new

"but I'm fully recovered now."

So you're just regurgitating the criticism of his rookie season as if he's still going to play the same as he was half way through his first season.

And again, what is it that you know that the Jazz hierarchy who see him day in, day out at practices etc and who are completely 100% still sold on him can't see ??

What gives you hope that he will play better? He is coming of major injury. Thats a huge concern.

I think both Hood and Lyles have far more potential than Gobert. I don't think he'll ever be a star. I don't think he has the offensive tools to be more than an average offensive player. I think his defense is as good as it's ever likely to get, it's really good so that's not a bad thing. I think Gobert is the most over rated Jazz player in a long while.

You seem old

What gives you hope that he will play better? He is coming of major injury. Thats a huge concern.

thank you captain obvious Your insight is enthralling.

You still haven't answered my question, not that i expected you would. You obviously want to hang on to your blinkered view. We'll see how things progress over the next few years.

You guys ignoring the fact that he is soft. He is fast yet very rarely drives in the paint and if he does he ends up knocked on the *** due to being so weak. He is mentally weak and is afraid of contact. Now coming of the major surgery he will be even more scared of contact.

He was an 18/19 year old rookie coming from basically a high school level of competition. You talk about him like he was a seasoned fully developed out of college player at 24/25 years old with a year of experience in the NBA. Of course at 18/19 he's going to look physically overmatched at times. That doesn't mean he's mentally weak or soft. You have no idea why he didn't drive to the paint often. Did you ever think coaches wanted him to work on that outside shot to gain confidence? When he did drive to the paint he had success. And he will only improve as he gets older as he gets bigger and stronger. The last part of your comment is pure assumption.

I think both Hood and Lyles have far more potential than Gobert. I don't think he'll ever be a star. I don't think he has the offensive tools to be more than an average offensive player. I think his defense is as good as it's ever likely to get, it's really good so that's not a bad thing. I think Gobert is the most over rated Jazz player in a long while.

Good points on Gobert's potential. I wouldn't call him overrated though. He is a great defensive player despite his offensive limitations.

Exum has more potential than anyone on the roster. Elite athlete, elite measureables, already good on defense, we saw his shot improve throughout his rookie year, he can get to the rim whenever he wants. Nobody else on the roster touches his potential as an offensive AND defensive player. It just comes down to whether he reaches it or not. I'd put Gobert second on that list. Hood and Lyles on the next tier. Favors and Hayward are what they are at this point. Their potential has been reached, no significant improvements are coming.

Actually, his shot improved mildly throughout his rookie year and was still pretty bad at the end. Click on the image to see the stats (per Yahoo Sports).

exum shooting.jpg

Actually, his shot improved mildly throughout his rookie year and was still pretty bad at the end. Click on the image to see the stats (per Yahoo Sports).

View attachment 4912

33 % by the last few months of the season for a rookie isn't necessarily "pretty bad" given that wasn't meant to be a strength at all. He sure does have a lot to improve on skill wise tho something like 36-37 % this year with a much tighter handle would be a big improvement for him.

Dante's shooting and confidence in his shot improved throughout his rookie year.

Any stats to back this up?

No way he will ever sniff anything close to All star or first team defense. In fact I will bet he won't be resigned after his rookie contract is over. Predicted that correctly for Kanter as well.
Kanter wasn't re-signed after his rookie contract? Is he playing for free?

it's going to take a little while before he's game fit and picked up the speed and feel of the game again ... nothing will simulate game intensity. He's still got tonnes to learn

Metric tonnes, even