What's new

BYU @ Florida State Game Thread

David Stern

I don't see this one going well for the Cougars. QB controversy, receivers who can't catch, and a defense who can't stop anybody doesn't spell success for this young team. I'm a Cougar fan too, and i'm picking FSU to win 48-3.

Supposedly Riley Nelson might be injured and they might run him out for the opening snap only and then play Heaps the rest of the game. If that happens and Heaps is given the full playbook and allowed to make a few mistakes, I think they win. And even if they don't, I think Heaps will play well enough to end the QB battle.

If Nelson is not injured and plays the majority of the snaps, they'll get crushed.

Supposedly Riley Nelson might be injured and they might run him out for one snap and then play Heaps the rest of the game. If that happens and Heaps is given the full playbook and allowed to make a few mistakes, I think they win.

If Nelson is not injured and plays the majority of the snaps, they'll get crushed.

Yeah, cause Heaps has played flawlessly so far and hasn't missed on a single throw.

Yeah, cause Heaps has played flawlessly so far and hasn't missed on a single throw.

It's not going to take a perfect game to beat Florida State; It's going to take a good arm to negate Florida State's speed, however.

He had a pretty good first game and the second they pulled the plug after giving him 6 whole pass attempts because they wanted to "protect him". Stop the QB rotation nonsense and let him get in a rhythm and he'll be great within a few games.

It's not going to take a perfect game to beat Florida State; It's going to take a good arm to negate Florida State's speed, however.

He had a pretty good first game and the second they pulled the plug after giving him 6 whole pass attempts because they wanted to "protect him". Stop the QB rotation nonsense and let him get in a rhythm and he'll be great within a few games.

K.

I am still mystified why cougs fans are so in love with Heaps. What has he done, exactly? I think the hype machine has done it's job.

Yeah, he has a good arm, but he is (at this point) not any more valuable to BYU than Nelson. Just my .02

I think this is the last game for the two headed QB. Heaps gets Nevada next week, and after watching that game last night, good luck to him.

I think this is the last game for the two headed QB. Heaps gets Nevada next week, and after watching that game last night, good luck to him.

Which is why BYU needs the gunslinger. They are not going to beat Nevada 10-7 because their defense is a typical BYU defense, but they have the weapons to throw the ball around and win in a high scoring game.

Why would this ever happen? Is Riley Nelson the new A.C Greene?

I'm not going to pretend to know what our bonehead coaches are thinking at times, but if I had to guess maybe just a little gamesmanship. Kind of letting Florida State know that any of the time they spent focusing on preparing for Riley Nelson this week was wasted time. I'll bet he plays the majority of the game though.

I'm not going to pretend to know what our bonehead coaches are thinking at times, but if I had to guess maybe just a little gamesmanship. Kind of letting Florida State know that any of the time they spent focusing on preparing for Riley Nelson was wasted time.

Couldn't they send that same message by simply not playing Nelson? You really are a "Happy Valley" resident, aren't you?

Couldn't they send that same message by simply not playing Nelson? You really are a "Happy Valley" resident, aren't you?

It's all about the head fake. You have to look at it like K-Whitt's last fake timeout...... It's not exactly coaching genius at work, just a little head game.

Duck, Salty is easily the biggest homer on this board. You however, are gaining ground and are clearly at #2.

I wonder why so many BYU fans are down on Nelson but so high on Heaps considering Heaps has failed to beat Nelson out to be the clear-cut starter. This Dual-QB idea of Bronco's is not because both QB's are so great, it's because both QB's have failed to seperate themselves from one another.

Duck, Salty is easily the biggest homer on this board. You however, are gaining ground and are clearly at #2.

I wonder why so many BYU fans are down on Nelson but so high on Heaps considering Heaps has failed to beat Nelson out to be the clear-cut starter. This Dual-QB idea of Bronco's is not because both QB's are so great, it's because both QB's have failed to seperate themselves from one another.

No it's not, it's because Riley is 4-5 years older than Jake and has D-1 experience(and something like a horrible 2-7 record including his games at Utah State at that). Heaps smoked him in spring ball and has been smoking him first team vs. first team all throughout fall camp. It's been pretty clear to all the writers/fans that have been at practices, the coaches are just being stubborn for some reason. It's a good way to lose ballgames nonetheless.

Ute fans will be shaking in their moccasins after watching this game! FSU is a team full of nobody losers. Duckman is right, Heaps will win this game! 31-24 win for the Cougs!