What's new

BYU Football 2012

I've never understood why Ziggy Ansah plowed up the NFL draft charts ahead of Van Noy. In a sane world, Kyle is the first round draft pick and Ziggy is a 3rd or 4th round gamble.

I said earlier in this thread I didn't think Van Noy was going to leave this year. After tonight's game, I changed my mind. That was freaking incredible. He's gone for sure.

Wow Lark is 100x better than Nelson.

Having said that...

While Nelson receives most of the criticism for this year, I personally think that it's debatable that he actually wasn't the worst player on that offense.

That O-line is horrible. I'm not sure I've ever seen a worse offensive line. If Nelson was thee worst player out there then several of those offensive linemen were right there with him.

Last point on that offense, Doman really needs to go. That playcalling was just awful. I loved how the announcers (both in game and halftime) made fun of BYU's offensive playcalling. How often did they criticize BYU running the option? How often did they criticize that lil bubble screen WR pass which never worked? I remember once the announcer said, "You can't run this play when the defense plays man to man." LOL. Essentially saying, "Doman, what the hell are you calling?"

I want Webber and Doman gone.

Wow Lark is 100x better than Nelson.

Having said that...

While Nelson receives most of the criticism for this year, I personally think that it's debatable that he actually wasn't the worst player on that offense.

That O-line is horrible. I'm not sure I've ever seen a worse offensive line. If Nelson was thee worst player out there then several of those offensive linemen were right there with him.

Last point on that offense, Doman really needs to go. That playcalling was just awful. I loved how the announcers (both in game and halftime) made fun of BYU's offensive playcalling. How often did they criticize BYU running the option? How often did they criticize that lil bubble screen WR pass which never worked? I remember once the announcer said, "You can't run this play when the defense plays man to man." LOL. Essentially saying, "Doman, what the hell are you calling?"

I want Webber and Doman gone.

Eh, he looked about as good as Nelson did before the back injury. That deep ball was injured-nelsonesque. Also, maybe Lark should make an audible if the man is in press coverage and the call is a WR screen. Its not all on doman

I've never understood why Ziggy Ansah plowed up the NFL draft charts ahead of Van Noy. In a sane world, Kyle is the first round draft pick and Ziggy is a 3rd or 4th round gamble.

Dominant pass rushing D ends make a huge difference. Just ask the giants. Not saying Ziggy will be dominant but he has the tools to become pretty damn good.

It's just gonna come down to need. Van Noy will go to a 3-4 team. He's a little undersized but I'm sure will put on some weight. And he does have the ability to drop into coverage.

Ansah has the highest ceiling of any DE in the draft and that's his ticket. He could go to a 3-4 or a 4-3 team and be successful at either. The senior bowl will ultimately determine where he gets drafted.

Comparing the two is an apples/oranges exercise.

That Van Noy news is awesome. After the Utah State game, I remember somebody on a BYU message board saying that they saw him busing tables right after the game at a restaurant....so the fans are there stuffing their faces and acting like they just won the lottery in celebration of a football game they watched from the stands, meanwhile the star of the team is cleaning up their messes on a Friday night after he is probably exhausted while his buddies are probably out celebrating with the Mormon version of groupies. Kid's a stud. And a pleasure to watch. And what that story also tells us is that he has no reason financially to remain at BYU, and probably could use the NFL money. He's just enjoying the experience enough that he doesn't want to give up a year of college football or let his buddies down.

Hoffman coming back is good too...... but it was more expected.

Last edited:
Bad move. For both. Hoffman should just go. He had a good enough year. Just go.

I feel horrible for Van Noy. That kid is only hurting his chances of becoming well off financially. He should go to the NFL. He isn't getting any younger and I doubt his draft stock will increase enough to justify staying another year in college. Jump while you still can and make as much dinheiro as possible. Finish your degree later after you're financially set and don't have to bus tables anymore.

while both coming back is good news for BYU. I don't see much improvement from this team unless they finally get an offensive line and finally dump Doman for a real coordinator. that BYU offense might be even worse than Crowton's last year. Horribly inept.... If anything Van Noy's stock will drop by staying another year.

I think now that KVN and Hoffman are already on scouts radar they wont be hurt by coming back. Unless they get hurt literally. Moving just a few spots up in a NFL draft can make a huge monetary difference.

Barring injury, coming back will pay dividends on many fronts. I'd like to see them both get insurance policies.

I know there was a Notre Dame guy that would be lottery pick that is staying, too. Said he watched what the seniors experience and wanted that.

Van Noy could easily be a early first rounder with 10-20 lbs added and similar production next year. If Rob Morris can go 28th in a draft, Van Noy can go earlier.