What's new

BYU Football 2012

Just the hoffman bet, where you said he wouldnt get drafted, he will get drafted next year. I'll give you the Hartsock guarantee.

Just the hoffman bet, where you said he wouldnt get drafted, he will get drafted next year. I'll give you the Hartsock guarantee.

The only thing I know about Hoffman is he goes to byu.

I don't know if he's white or black or where he's projected to go or anything like that.

I've definitely heard his name before, but I'm shocked there's a byu WR people think is a lock to get drafted.

The only thing I know about Hoffman is he goes to byu.

I don't know if he's white or black or where he's projected to go or anything like that.

I've definitely heard his name before, but I'm shocked there's a byu WR people think is a lock to get drafted.

The only thing I know is you are avoiding this bet like a bitch.

Just some guy, 6-4 215, 100 catches 1248 yds 11 tds all with possibly the worst QB in NCAA throwing to him. 203 career catches for 2,718 yards and 28 tds. Probably a 4th round type of guy. Not a first rounder but he will get drafted. KVN hes a 2nd or 3rd rounder unless he puts 20 pounds on, then he might be a late first rounder.

Hoffman's problem is a lack of speed. He is great for the other stuff but he is no burner (BYU hasn't had one of those for awhile I think they have one guy that runs a 4.5). Still, if he can put up similar numbers next year he will get drafted no question but it's not like he is some huge star WR 1st-rounder. He's a big fish in a little pond. 4-6 rounder at this point. Could probably do that if he came out this year. If he duplicates this last year and really no reason he doesn't than he could be more 3-4 round type.

Van Noy's versatility alone will get him drafted sub-3rd round. The question is will he beef up in the offseason and what will that do to his speed.

Heard a rumor that the whole offensive staff had to re-interview for the jobs. Haha probably why Hoffman stayed.

Van Noy's versatility alone will get him drafted sub-3rd round. The question is will he beef up in the offseason and what will that do to his speed.

I'm thinking that's his goal. Add 20 lbs of muscle and keep the speed (or lose only a minimal amount). That would probably bump him a round.

Van Noy could easily be a early first rounder with 10-20 lbs added and similar production next year.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The way this makes sense for him financially is if he found out teams are worried about his size/weight, and feels that he can put on 10-20 pounds this coming year (while maintaining production).

Where was he projected to go if he came out this year?

I don't know if he was projected to go at all, but if so it was likely a late round. Even though his yardage production was quite good, his TDs were down--due in my opinion to the stupid QB situation. So it makes perfect sense for him to come back... the offense can't be much worse next year than it was this year. I think it's likely he'll be a mid round selection next year, let's say 4th or 5th round.

He's on track to break the BYU record for #catches and #yards, and if I'm not mistaken # receiving TDs also. Since the people who hold those records were both drafted (Pitta and Collie), yes I think it's safe to assume he'll be drafted as well if he has a productive year. See: https://www.deseretnews.com/article...-in-2013-gives-BYUs-program-a-huge-boost.html

Just some guy, 6-4 215, 100 catches 1248 yds 11 tds all with possibly the worst QB in NCAA throwing to him. 203 career catches for 2,718 yards and 28 tds. Probably a 4th round type of guy. Not a first rounder but he will get drafted. KVN hes a 2nd or 3rd rounder unless he puts 20 pounds on, then he might be a late first rounder.

Good point. 4th round seems about right to me as well, unless he can improve his speed. Seems like some receivers practice with track coaches to prepare for the NFL combine. That's what he should do.

I think Hoffman is NFL caliber, but probably wasn't noticed as much due to the worst QB in BYU history. I still he'd be drafted this year, but will benefit from a better QB next year, boosting his numbers.

Very long article on Ansah, on front page of Yahoo news today.
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--...uperathletic-de-to-make-waves--200203777.html

The pass-rush project: Ezekiel 'Ziggy' Ansah is the latest 'raw' superathletic DE to make waves

Is the answer to the NFL's present trend of run-option quarterbacks a guy with almost no football past?

That is the daunting question revolving around BYU defensive lineman Ezekial "Ziggy" Ansah. In so many ways, Ansah is the latest version of Jason Pierre-Paul, a tall, fast and uber-athletic defensive end who didn't have much experience with the game. The difference is that Ansah not only has even less football experience than Pierre-Paul, but also Ansah has less experience with this country as a native of Ghana.

Ezekiel Ansah has the size and speed NFL teams crave. (Getty Images)"It is crazy, to go from where I was a year ago to how much people are paying attention to me," Ansah said in his slightly halting English that reverberates through his kettle-drum voice. Ansah is viewed much like Pierre-Paul in 2010, a mid-first-round pick (Pierre, from South Florida, went No. 15 overall to the New York Giants) with high upside and lots of risk.

To hear Senior Bowl executive director and former longtime NFL scout and executive Phil Savage talk about Ansah, the top 10 appears to be a sure thing heading into the NFL scouting combine, which starts this week in Indianapolis.

"I'm thinking that maybe even the top five with the way that teams are so desperate to adjust what they're doing for all these read-option quarterbacks," said Savage, who watched Ansah take over the Senior Bowl last month as if he were already a level better than the competition. "You're going to need guys on the defensive line who can chase those guys down. Ansah is that guy."

Ansah finished the Senior Bowl with seven tackles, including 3 ½ for losses (1 ½ were sacks), and forced a fumble from Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib. Savage and many other observers said he was clearly the best player in the game.

(much, much more)

Was just at a clinic with a bunch of BYU and football coaches. Didn't get to see them all. Kafusi was meh. Tuja is the man. Erickson was very dissappointing.

Tuja is the man.

That's good to hear. The O-Line was clearly the emphasis in recruiting this year and also in the hiring. Safe bet there will be marked improvement in that area this year, which means BYU should be a lot better overall too.

Interesting visit the other day down there.

Met with Anae for an hour or so and he came across as pretty dull. Then talking to other coaches they said wait til practice. He was totally different in practice. Very intense and very plugged in to what they are trying to do. The offense was brutal but they are currently missing a ton of guys. Taysom looks great even at 80%. Everyone gave him the greenlight to sit out the spring but he was determined to play apparently. Hope that doesn't burn him. Williams is insanely good. They are deep at RB with Alisa and Hine and some walk-on from Dixie who actually looked pretty good.

They better get healthy quick and those stupid juco line transfers better catch up or else a bowl game is not within reach with that schedule.

Another Ansah article
https://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9172873/2013-nfl-draft-how-ezekiel-ansah-became-draft-top-defensive-end-espn-magazine

Omoregie Uzzi, Georgia Tech right guard
"As complicated as people think our offense option is, the goal is really simple: All of us on the offensive line just look across to see who we're facing and say, 'Okay, that's the guy I have to beat on this play.' We're constantly sizing players up, and it takes a lot to surprise me. I'm 6'3", 300 pounds -- not a giant, but not small either. Well, we lined up against BYU [on Oct. 27, 2012] and I saw this 6'5" guy standing in. I thought, Whoa! I looked over at [left guard] Shaquille Mason and was like, 'Good luck, dude.' Ansah killed us. He was all over the place all day. But the crazy thing was, the whole time he was smiling and very polite, like, 'This is fun; thank you for playing with us today.' You don't want to like a guy who is beating up on you, but you couldn't help it with him."

Nothing really new, but interesting anyways.
There were more articles on him on Insider, maybe someone has an interesting bit here and there they want to post?

It's going to be cool to see him drafted so early, but I'm still saying he is not worth that high of a pick.

He is if NFL teams need fast ends that can run down fast run oriented Quarterbacks these days. The athletic QB's have increased the defensive need for faster ends, and he is that. This is why teams are salivating over him regardless of the fact that he has not played very long.

He is worth is to plenty of teams.

He is if NFL teams need fast ends that can run down fast run oriented Quarterbacks these days. The athletic QB's have increased the defensive need for faster ends, and he is that. This is why teams are salivating over him regardless of the fact that he has not played very long.

He is worth is to plenty of teams.

All BYU hate aside, I'd like to se Ansah do well. Seem's like a great kid with a great story.

Once the NFL book is written on Ansah, I don't think you'll see too much middle ground. He is either going to set the league on fire (in a couple of years), or be the type of pick that gets a GM fired. Obviously, his measurables and up side are off the charts and warrant a high pick. It's hard for me to talk about his potential down side because I didn't watch a lot of BYU football, but when I did, I don't remember him ever really sticking out as a dominating player. Also, for a guy that's going to get drafted for his pass rushing ability, it seems like his stat's are rather pedestrian.