What's new

BYU football: QB Nelson will undergo season-ending shoulder surgery

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/50328488-88/nelson-riley-season-football.html.csp

The Salt Lake Tribune

Published Sep 21, 2010 03:29PM
Updated 8 minutes ago Updated Sep 21, 2010 03:26PM

BYU is down to one starting quarterback.
Junior Riley Nelson will miss the remainder of the season after an MRI revealed he needed surgery on his non-throwing shoulder, the football team announced today. Nelson suffered the injury in Saturday’s loss at Florida state. The anticipated recovery time is four to five months.
Nelson had evenly split time at quarterback this season with freshman Jake Heaps and coach Bronco Mendenhall said he was content going forward with a two-quarterback system.
“We will miss Riley’s leadership, toughness and playmaking ability,” Mendenhall said in a statement. “Unfortunately, injuries are part of football. Riley is a great young man and we will look forward to his return.”
Through three games, Nelson completed 20-of-40 passes for 205 yards and two touchdowns. He also rushed for 148 yards and a touchdown.

I guess that solves that.

What a perfect way to end the QB controversy: Have a made up injury to put one of the QB's out for the season. Is this the only way Bronco has the stones to go with the Freshman?

What a perfect way to end the QB controversy: Have a made up injury to put one of the QB's out for the season. Is this the only way Bronco has the stones to go with the Freshman?

LOL.

You'd think that such a serious injury would have been noticed or reported on Saturday... Or Sunday... Or Monday... lol... Apparently the cameramen, fans, and all the reporters must have missed Riley crying in pain on Saturday.

Riley seems like a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. I've heard him in a few radio interviews and was pretty impressed. He seems atheletic enough, maybe once he begins rehab the BYU coaching staff can convince him to focus on switching positions during his down time. Seems reasonable that he he could play RB or maybe even FS.

What are the rules on a medical redshirt? Wasn't it the 2nd or 3rd game last year when Asiata tore his knee up and was later granted a 2nd medical redshirt?

LOL.

You'd think that such a serious injury would have been noticed or reported on Saturday... Or Sunday... Or Monday... lol... Apparently the cameramen, fans, and all the reporters must have missed Riley crying in pain on Saturday.

He actually did go out of the game with a shoulder injury on Saturday, but then he came back in. And it is funny they waited until Tuesday afternoon to announce it.

He actually did go out of the game with a shoulder injury on Saturday, but then he came back in. And it is funny they waited until Tuesday afternoon to announce it.

He did? I figured that they just benched him.

I read now that the injury was originally sustained in fall camp. Ummmm to me, that's another reason why they should have made a decision in favor of Heaps. With riley already being injured, why go with the more dinged up player?

I like Riley, I hope he can get a medical redshirt and play some RB in the next few years.

Riley seems like a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. I've heard him in a few radio interviews and was pretty impressed. He seems atheletic enough, maybe once he begins rehab the BYU coaching staff can convince him to focus on switching positions during his down time. Seems reasonable that he he could play RB or maybe even FS.

What are the rules on a medical redshirt? Wasn't it the 2nd or 3rd game last year when Asiata tore his knee up and was later granted a 2nd medical redshirt?

Asiata was lost in the 4th game last year against Louisville I do believe. So, I'm pretty sure Riley is eligible for a medical redshirt.

https://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/gamelog?playerId=233017&year=2009

He did? I figured that they just benched him.

I read now that the injury was originally sustained in fall camp. Ummmm to me, that's another reason why they should have made a decision in favor of Heaps. With riley already being injured, why go with the more dinged up player?

I like Riley, I hope he can get a medical redshirt and play some RB in the next few years.

I remember it was in the first half. He ran off the field after taking a hit just dangling his arm. When he came back in, they said it was just a stinger. If he did originally get hurt in fall camp and Heaps still couldn't separate himself from Riley, that's not good news.
I actually could see Riley as a Safety a la Andrew Rich.

He should've just stayed at USU. I'm still shocked BYU even went after him. He's the complete opposite of a BYU quarterback.

The Ute fan in me wants to say now it's time for Heaps to put up, or shut up. I thought I had grown weary of hearing how great he is, when he has accomplished nothing at this level. But in reality, I think he is a very talented kid who will benefit from the experience he is now going to get. And he probably won't step in and be an instant McMahon, or Young, or even Max Hall (who hates me, BTW.) But if he can keep his composure, and not let the pressure get to him (and there is a LOT of pressure - I'm looking at you, cougar fan...) he might just turn out, in the long run, to be one of the best QBs BYU has had.

As far as Nelson goes, I really liked him. But if he can get a redshirt for this season, Bronco should try to bring him back and convert him to another position. The kid is athletic, smart, and plays with a ton of heart. He could be a real asset to BYU in other places on the field.

Max Hall (who hates me, BTW.)
That's because you're classless.

As far as Nelson goes, I really liked him. But if he can get a redshirt for this season, Bronco should try to bring him back and convert him to another position. The kid is athletic, smart, and plays with a ton of heart. He could be a real asset to BYU in other places on the field.
I still think he could take over for Andrew Rich.