What's new

BYU football: QB Nelson will undergo season-ending shoulder surgery

As far as Nelson goes, I really liked him. But if he can get a redshirt for this season, Bronco should try to bring him back and convert him to another position. The kid is athletic, smart, and plays with a ton of heart. He could be a real asset to BYU in other places on the field.

I'm thinking there's a reasonable chance that Heaps will go on a mission. Yes, he says he's not planning to, but after a year at BYU, going to a student ward where most of the other freshmen guys will be getting their calls, hanging out with RMs on the team, etc., I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his mind. In that case, I'm not sure what other options for quarterback they would have besides Nelson.

I'm thinking there's a reasonable chance that Heaps will go on a mission. Yes, he says he's not planning to, but after a year at BYU, going to a student ward where most of the other freshmen guys will be getting their calls, hanging out with RMs on the team, etc., I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his mind. In that case, I'm not sure what other options for quarterback they would have besides Nelson.
Nelson has always been just a fill-in for BYU. I doubt he was ever in their long-term plans.

BYU's going to start rolling now. Their defense is still shaky, but this really was their main problem. Now you give the guy all the reps in practice, all the snaps in the game. I'm calling it, they won't lose again this year.

BYU's going to start rolling now. Their defense is still shaky, but this really was their main problem. Now you give the guy all the reps in practice, all the snaps in the game. I'm calling it, they won't lose again this year.

If it were me - and it isn't - I would probably see how they look against Nevada before declaring everything fixed. But that's just me.

If it were me - and it isn't - I would probably see how they look against Nevada before declaring everything fixed. But that's just me.

Well I can say I'm not worried about the players responding, but I will agree that the coaches allowing the offense to become something is a big question market at this point and may not be fixed today. They haven't even attempted to let the players make big plays. I think we had one pass that was over 15 yards last week and that was after the game was well out of hand. We could have run the same offense that 12 year-olds run on Madden football and just Hail Mary all game and I guarantee we would have been better off. You just have to throw it up there every once in awhile and let people make plays or keep the defense off balance. BYU has played in a 10 yard box up until this point, my hope is that it ends today.

Hopefully him making his first start and it being at home will allow the coaches to overcome their psychological "protective" barriers. Gunslingers need to sling.

I have a feeling that BYU's offense will look a lot better today than in previous games. Mostly because, Nevada's defense is just as bad as BYU's.

I think Heaps now knowing that he's "the man" will help him to perform instead of just making the "costly mistake" that would normally get him benched.

That said, I think BYU has some issues on every aspect. Special teams is poor (always has been with Payne as the kicker), defense is too short and slow (and conservative), and their offense is lacking athletes at nearly every position (and will be too conservative perhaps to help the freshmen QB).

Nevada wins 34-24

defense is too short and slow (and conservative),

This is really bizarre to me because Mendenhall basically invented the "Star Wars" 3-3-5 defense which was predicated on confusing the offense and now BYU hardly even blitzes. These guys seriously have to stop being ******* on both sides of the ball or they won't be coaching much longer. It's a ****ing game, take some risks, give the fans a show.

Forget about the Utah-BYU smack talk for 1 minute. There is no way on God's green earth that this BYU squad will go down to TCU and win. The ONLY thing that can change that is a mind-boggling barrage of injuries to TCU's major talent between now and when they face off.

My opinion was that BYU was a 7-and-5 football team and I'm very confident that's where they'll finish. There are no quality WR's on that team, no quality TE's, the O-line may end up playing better before the season's out but right now they are garbage and the only above average player you have on Defense is J.Pendleton.

I'm not trying to hate. There's been plenty of seasons in which I've seen Utah field some very untalented teams and I've admitted to it. I'm sorry, but at some point BYU fans are going to have to realize that with the players that are on the field, this team is simply not that good.

I'm sorry, but at some point BYU fans are going to have to realize that with the players that are on the field, this team is simply not that good.

Some of us are already there. There are a few bright spots, but on the whole, this team is not great. No two ways about it.

Duck Homer Wrote:

I'm calling it, they won't lose again this year.

Your bold prediction wasn't even 24 hours old and Nevada rolls into Provo, punches your team square in the mouth, and rolls out of town with a double-digit victory.

Good call.

BYU's remaining schedule is mostly favorable. It would be better for them if they were playing TCU a little later in the season - after getting some confidence and rhythm against the conference dregs. But, hopefully they can pull it together a little more each week.

As a Ute fan, I always worry about the BYU game because record and/or perceived strength usually play only a small part (if any) in the game. But as this season wears on, I find myself worrying less and less.