What's new

can Jimmer play pg?

does anyone watch Jimmer enough to judge wether he can play pg or he is a pure sg like Jeff hornacek?

his height is a big concern to play sg in the nba, we dont need another J J Redick who always get beat on defense.

I doubt it. He is a classic tweener. Plays like a SG body of a PG. It's the main reason I don't want the Jazz to draft him. But hell he can shoot. If they get a 2nd lottery pick and he's still around I would not complain too much about him as the pick.

I'm torn on Jimmer.
Positives- Could give us a creator and a shooter. He could play a terry role for us.
Negatives- Doesn't play D, not a stand still shooter, needs the ball to dominant, not really athletic

I'm leaning to go elsewhere with the 2nd pick but wouldn't be pissed if we took him

Ya, because Jimmer falling to the second round is plausible...

It is confusing. Jazz don't have a second ROUND pick this year but likely a second LOTTERY pick.

I'm torn on Jimmer.
Positives- Could give us a creator and a shooter. He could play a terry role for us.
Negatives- Doesn't play D, not a stand still shooter, needs the ball to dominant, not really athletic

I'm leaning to go elsewhere with the 2nd pick but wouldn't be pissed if we took him

Name one guard in the NBA that plays defense.

Actually, I'll make it easier, name one elite pg guard that plays defense.

Certainly not duron, tony parker, steve nash, rose, or westbrooke.

Anyone that is afraid of a pg's defense need look no further than Tony Parker and Steve Nash. Those guys literally couldn't slow down most of the jokes playing at golds gym let alone the NBA.

Name one guard in the NBA that plays defense.

Actually, I'll make it easier, name one elite pg guard that plays defense.

Certainly not duron, tony parker, steve nash, rose, or westbrooke.

Anyone that is afraid of a pg's defense need look no further than Tony Parker and Steve Nash. Those guys literally couldn't slow down most of the jokes playing at golds gym let alone the NBA.

So if none of them can play defense, I guess the question has to become: Can Jimmer run a team like those guys? Can he help a team when his shot isn't falling? Can he get into the paint and finish against NBA big men?

And while you may be quick to throw defensive ability out the window, can he at least slow NBA PG's down? Are guys like Rose, Deron, Nash and Parker going to abuse Jimmer each time they face him?

Are you dumb Thriller, Westbrook and Rose are very good defenders and so is Chris Paul as well as Rondo. That was the worst point I have ever seen anyone make on this site

Are you dumb Thriller, Westbrook and Rose are very good defenders and so is Chris Paul as well as Rondo. That was the worst point I have ever seen anyone make on this site

Seriously? define good defenders? Who have they locked down?

Just because chris paul and rondo grab a few loose balls that are counted as steals doesn't mean they're good defenders.

No one in the NBA plays defense. Especially PGs.

Jimmer is not athletic enough to be a Terry kind of player.

So if none of them can play defense, I guess the question has to become: Can Jimmer run a team like those guys? Can he help a team when his shot isn't falling? Can he get into the paint and finish against NBA big men?

And while you may be quick to throw defensive ability out the window, can he at least slow NBA PG's down? Are guys like Rose, Deron, Nash and Parker going to abuse Jimmer each time they face him?

those are the legit questions that will need to be answered.

However, many people on this board have already weighed in:

https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?4796-For-those-of-you-who-don-t-like-Jimmer.../page11

If we can take Jimmer and his offensive skills and put it into Ronnie Price's body, we might really, really have something.

He can play point guard, when he scored 52 points he also had 4 assists! Have you looked at who he has had to pass to at BYU and how many shots they miss when he makes great passes to them? It is obviously not his strongest point, but he could easily at least play back up PG minutes and some SG. We need a 3 point shooter and a creator, he can't be a worse defender than any of our other guys right now. I would be very happy if we can get him with our pick. Just don't pick him with the NJ pick, or so help me!

I have watched Jimmer play for years. I think he is going to resemble Nash on D. He is going to give a very good effort and be okay most of the time. On Jimmer's PG skills, he can pass the ball better than Harris or Price and on a similar level to Watson.

i dont know the answer to most of those questions, but in response to the bolded,

of the top 50 scorers in the ncaa, jimbo has both attempted (258) and made (230) the second most free throws, attempting 7.6 a game on a 89% (16th best in the nation) clip.

ft attempts are usually a good indicator of penetrating the paint a drawing the foul on the larger more stationary opponents.

he's not quite derons size, but he is on the larger side of pg's 6-2 195lbs, and from what ive seen about deron's quickness, with a crossover, and a better shooting touch. deron could probably finish better in traffic and in the paint, and definitely has better court vision once he enters the paint, but i could definitely see jimmer drawing the foul as much or more than deron did.

a side note: he also has the second highest offensive win shares in the NCAA (5.9) and the sixth highest total win shares (7.8) which means he is the sixth best player at finding a way to help his team win in total, and the second best at generating offense to help accrue a win.