What's new

can Jimmer play pg?

I have watched Jimmer play for years. I think he is going to resemble Nash on D. He is going to give a very good effort and be okay most of the time. On Jimmer's PG skills, he can pass the ball better than Harris or Price and on a similar level to Watson.

I'm with Qman on this. He is known for his shooting but he is a decent passer, and he will definitely work on it when he makes it to the NBA.

I haven't watched Kemba Walker play much at all, but how does he compare to Jimmer? Or are they just different players and it's not worthy of a comparison?

Seriously? define good defenders? Who have they locked down?

Just because chris paul and rondo grab a few loose balls that are counted as steals doesn't mean they're good defenders.

No one in the NBA plays defense. Especially PGs.

Have you watched Chicago? Have you watched Boston? Despite what you say, there is such a thing as good defense in the NBA. It can be practiced at all five positions, but not by the majority of the players.

I haven't watched Kemba Walker play much at all, but how does he compare to Jimmer? Or are they just different players and it's not worthy of a comparison?

Walker is an athletic guard with a good mid range and good ability to get to the rim and finish.

I'm torn on Jimmer.
Positives- Could give us a creator and a shooter. He could play a terry role for us.
Negatives- Doesn't play D, not a stand still shooter, needs the ball to dominant, not really athletic

I'm leaning to go elsewhere with the 2nd pick but wouldn't be pissed if we took him

I keep hearing people say Jimmer can't play defense. I'm wondering whether those saying it are saying it because they've heard other people say it enough that they assume it must be true, assume he can't play defense cause he's white (and therefore either slow or unathletic), or have actually watched him play defense enough to have reached an informed conclusion.

I've not seen him play much, so I don't have an opinion. But this strikes me as an example of 'conventional wisdom' that may or may not be actually accurate.

I keep hearing people say Jimmer can't play defense. I'm wondering whether those saying it are saying it because they've heard other people say it enough that they assume it must be true, assume he can't play defense cause he's white (and therefore either slow or unathletic), or have actually watched him play defense enough to have reached an informed conclusion.

I've not seen him play much, so I don't have an opinion. But this strikes me as an example of 'conventional wisdom' that may or may not be actually accurate.

You are probably partially correct. I think it has a lot to do with that he is a slower undersized player that is going to have a severe mismatch in the NBA whether he plays PG (to slow) or SG (to small). Having those disadvantages makes playing defense in the NBA virtually impossible.

In the words of Jimmer Rome, "I don't play defense because I don't have to play defense".

He can play average defense, but good defense is not needed in BYU's scheme, and it's not expected because they rely on him much more offensively.

I would not want the Jazz to draft Jimmer because the risk is too high that he becomes JJ Redick or even Adam Morrison - terrific scorer in college but didn't quite live up to the hype with limited upside. If he is a freshman or a soph putting up numbers like this I would say go ahead, but he didn't put up these numbers until senior year.

Yes he can become a Steve Nash... but ask yourself which way is more likely.

I would not want the Jazz to draft Jimmer because the risk is too high that he becomes JJ Redick or even Adam Morrison - terrific scorer in college but didn't quite live up to the hype with limited upside. If he is a freshman or a soph putting up numbers like this I would say go ahead, but he didn't put up these numbers until senior year.

Self, which is more likely?
Self said Nash was more likely.

Hey, thanks for the tip.

Reddick is not a bad player, above average for a 12 pick for sure. Morrison was a bust, but he played SF, a position where athleticism was most important, not to mention he was mentally weaker than AK.

Reddick is not a bad player, above average for a 12 pick for sure. Morrison was a bust, but he played SF, a position where athleticism was most important, not to mention he was mentally weaker than AK.

I agree Redick is not a bad player, but he is a just a solid role player which is his ceiling. I would rather take a chance on guys like Brandon Knight with a late lottery pick, who has a much higher ceiling because of the physical tools.

Myself just told me he didn't lie to me.
What are you, some kind of phsycoanalyzisithizer or somethin?

He is the world's second combination analyst and therapist. Analrapist.

Jimmer's defense is so outstanding, BYU pretty much runs zone to cover for him. His defense is non-exsistant. The list of players having never played defense, going to the NBA, and becoming solid defenders is very, very short. I wouldn't count on Jimmer being much more than a 15 min spark off the bench in the NBA.

Jimmer's defense is so outstanding, BYU pretty much runs zone to cover for him. His defense is non-exsistant. The list of players having never played defense, going to the NBA, and becoming solid defenders is very, very short. I wouldn't count on Jimmer being much more than a 15 min spark off the bench in the NBA.

That's pretty much it defensively. He actually ends up guarding the 2 a lot in college as well because a lot of 2's are spot up shooters and don't have much driving ability at that level, and Jackson Emery ends up sticking the 1. To be a starter in the NBA he certainly would need to put up big offensive numbers to cover for his lack of defense.