What's new

Can we just release Burke and Hayward?

My concern with Burke is he mostly seems physically overmatched. He's not tall, quick, he can't drive, and doesn't have an offensive move. I worry that his only offensive skill is going to be inefficient pull ups while he plays less than adequate defense -- in other words, a backup.

What gives me hope is his clutch ability. Andre Miller is not an exceptional athlete, but he knows how to play the game, and I could see Burke becoming similar. On the flip side, Miller was only an average starter. I would be thrilled if Burke turns into Miller, but that's his ceiling from what I see.

I don't think anyone will be complaining if Burke averages 17/11/5 by his 3rd year in the league.

Personally, I think the comparison isn't remotely similar. Burke is a much better shooter period-- especially from distance. I didn't have a chance to see Miller earlier on in his career though-- so it's inaccurate of me to com are Miller's current style to Burke's (which is completely different).

Also, I'm stoked that the "Burke=Backup" posts have finally returned. Cant wait to see the Sebastian Telfair comparisons pop-up again.

The notion of Andre being his utmost ceiling is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone will be complaining if Burke averages 17/11/5 by his 3rd year in the league.

Only 1 PG is averaging 11 assists this season: CP3. Year before it was Rondo. In 2012, Rondo (11.7) and Nash (10.7) led the league. At least Burke, although not very good, isn't Miller-like in terms of shooting 3's.

I'd deem Burke a success if he could improve his shooting to 45%/35% and average around 7 assists. He'll never be great at getting to the rim. And I don't really care if he scores 13 pts per game or 17. Jazz have their primary chucker, I mean shooter, in Hayward. Burke's role should be facilitating, not scoring. He just needs to be efficient.

I'd deem Burke a success if he could improve his shooting to 45%/35% and average around 7 assists. He'll never be great at getting to the rim. And I don't really care if he scores 13 pts per game or 17. Jazz have their primary chucker, I mean shooter, in Hayward. Burke's role should be facilitating, not scoring. He just needs to be efficient.

I'll get these to Trey asap. He's been dying to know what would deem him a success in your eyes.

I'll get these to Trey asap. He's been dying to know what would deem him a success in your eyes.
Thanks. Can you also tell Hayward to stop shooting if he's at 20% and has already taken 10 shots. At that point, it's just not going to be his night.

Thanks. Can you also tell Hayward to stop shooting if he's at 20% and has already taken 10 shots. At that point, it's just not going to be his night.

I am not your personal Johnny Tremain. Tell him yourself you poltroon.

Core4, when are you going to change your name now that you hate the leader of the Core4?

You use to be Motown, then you hated Mo Williams. Maybe you just hate yourself so you hate anything you are named after?

Core4, when are you going to change your name now that you hate the leader of the Core4?

You use to be Motown, then you hated Mo Williams. Maybe you just hate yourself so you hate anything you are named after?
???
"Core 4" = Burks, Burke, Favors, Kanter....right?

I reserve the right to swap out any members of my "core4." Just like Lindsey, I am only interested in upgrading the team and am willing to trade whoever it takes to do so. I hate the way Hayward is playing. He's an out-of-control chucker right now. If Corbin returns, I have little hope for Gordon improving much from what he is this year. If the Jazz bring in another coach, MAYBE Gordon is reeled in and he starts taking good shots and lets the PG run the offense most of the time.

As for Burke, nope, never did like him. I was always lukewarm on the pick due to Burke's size and lack of quickness. The pick was a reach due to need. I don't see Trey having the tools to ever be top-10 at his position. I hope I'm wrong. And yes, I WAS wrong about Mo Williams. Thought he'd be a good starter for Utah for a couple of years and then a great mentor and backup after that. I admit my mistake.

"Core4" was in reference to Kanter, Favors, Hayward and Burks. I'm down on Hayward right now and unsure of Kanter. Again, though, I'd like to see what they could do under the guidance of a real NBA coach. And, for what it's worth, I predicted right after the pick that Gobert would eventually be seen as the steal of the draft.

Hayward gets at least 10 million. I just don't see how he doesn't. He does a little of everything and has shown he can be a good shooter. His value is clearly Batum level. He will probably get around Batum money.

GMs see that Hayward is just being asked to do too much. Even in his worst year of shooting he still positively impacts games. He helps Utah win games even when he can't hit the rim. It's funny how people undervalue Hayward so badly here.

Batum is a more desirable player since he can guard multiple positions on the court..Can guard the 1-4's of the league. Hayward can not.

I reserve the right to swap out any members of my "core4." Just like Lindsey, I am only interested in upgrading the team and am willing to trade whoever it takes to do so. I hate the way Hayward is playing. He's an out-of-control chucker right now. If Corbin returns, I have little hope for Gordon improving much from what he is this year. If the Jazz bring in another coach, MAYBE Gordon is reeled in and he starts taking good shots and lets the PG run the offense most of the time.

As for Burke, nope, never did like him. I was always lukewarm on the pick due to Burke's size and lack of quickness. The pick was a reach due to need. I don't see Trey having the tools to ever be top-10 at his position. I hope I'm wrong. And yes, I WAS wrong about Mo Williams. Thought he'd be a good starter for Utah for a couple of years and then a great mentor and backup after that. I admit my mistake.

"Core4" was in reference to Kanter, Favors, Hayward and Burks. I'm down on Hayward right now and unsure of Kanter. Again, though, I'd like to see what they could do under the guidance of a real NBA coach. And, for what it's worth, I predicted right after the pick that Gobert would eventually be seen as the steal of the draft.[/QUO

You are clueless if you don't think trey has the tools to be a top 10pg. You could say maybe due to his size but the tools. Dude is a leader and can shoot it. Give the kid sometime. He should only be a jr in college for Christ sake

"Core4" was in reference to Kanter, Favors, Hayward and Burks. I'm down on Hayward right now and unsure of Kanter. Again, though, I'd like to see what they could do under the guidance of a real NBA coach. And, for what it's worth, I predicted right after the pick that Gobert would eventually be seen as the steal of the draft.[/QUO

You are clueless if you don't think trey has the tools to be a top 10pg. You could say maybe due to his size but the tools. Dude is a leader and can shoot it. Give the kid sometime. He should only be a jr in college for Christ sake

He needs to get a lot stronger, look towards lillard and how he succeeded.

Burke may yet pan out, but he isn't looking stellar. Now that defenses have adjusted to him being the primary guy he isn't handling it well. Hayward will be better when he is in the right role as Cy pointed out, but he has to fix that shot. We can't have him bricking even wide-open shots. From 20 ft in he should be automatic, and at least 40% from 3. His shooting has been atrocious and needs to be fixed.

Wait until his second season to judge at all. He was an NBA prospect after his first year at Michigan, but certainly not an All-American, a POY, or a Tourney Star. In his second year, he became all those things and more. If history repeats itself, it will take him a year to get adjusted and then he will be on his way to stardom.

Hey Jeffrey, have you ever smoked a jeffrey?

Reactions: 8
Wait until his second season to judge at all. He was an NBA prospect after his first year at Michigan, but certainly not an All-American, a POY, or a Tourney Star. In his second year, he became all those things and more. If history repeats itself, it will take him a year to get adjusted and then he will be on his way to stardom.

To add to your point I don't see really anything the defense has done to disturb Burke. If you look at the games clearly Burke has been given less responsibility as the facilitator in Corbin's scheme. From what I'm seeing this is what has been the biggest setback in Burke's offensive production.

Can't we just be happy that we got a young point guard to build around with the 9th pick? I mean c'mon the dude was balling at the start of the season on a bad team. Last season was awful to watch cause of our point guard play. At least we got a young guy who is a leader and hard worker. Not some old guys that shouldn't even be in the league anymore

Ty's lack of a structured offense has really hurt Burke and Hayward. We rarely run a pNroll or pNpop plays that feature motion for shooters. Because of this, Burke doesn't drive to the basket as much and Hayward ends up shooting far too much.

If we don't change coaches in the off season, Burke and Hayward will continue to struggle.