What's new

Charlottesville

Trump is a comically inept moron, but you can't impeach people for being comically inept morons. You can impeach them for more serious stuff, though. If at some point, there is enough evidence of some gross misconduct to impeach Trump, does anyone actually believe that Pence would be completely uninvolved in said misconduct? I'm convinced that Trump cannot get impeached without Pence getting impeached as well.

Which would then make this dude the prez.

hatchtrans_072717~0.jpg

Hells yeah! But Orrin is 4th in line Paul Ryan is 3rd. Ain't they teachin you kids politics no more?

Figures...maybe slightly off topic but can you name any other country in the world that celebrate monuments of traitorous military leaders who were vanquished?

I guess this all goes back to the genius of Lincoln. Any other general at any other time in any other country would have been strung up immediately after General Lee signed the surrender papers at the Appomattox Court House. In an authentic moment of American exceptionalism, Lincoln let them all go home and that kept the union together as much as the war did. I guess the fact that these southern ding dongs get to celebrate these a-holes is of minor consequence.

Lee surrendered on April the 9th. Lincoln was assassinated on April 14th.

Much of the leniency for southern leaders can be blamed on Andrew Johnson, lincon's VP. He was a democrat, known to support states' rights, granted amnesty to southern leaders, and did absolutely nothing to help newly freed slaves.

Once slavery was "absolished" in the south, due to Johnson's lack of empathy and concern, slavery as essentially reinstated. Blacks who didn't know how to read and didn't have anything saved up couldn't buy land were left with limited opportunities.

Whites unpunished for treason weren't going to obey the law because it was signed on a piece of paper. So quickly, blacks fell back into slavery, whites became emboldened, and in subsequent decades the Jim Crow laws were set up and statues were built.

And the cycle continues to this day. Newly freed slaves were left behind by the government and their descendants have yet to catch up. Many remained in poverty, lacking good educational opportunities, which has led to decreased employment opportunities. Confederate leaders, unpunished, were allowed to set up systems of inequality that have yet to be eliminated today. Their ancestors have maintained discrimination, and these statues are part of it. To this day, Harvard graduates who are black, earn less than those who are white and see fewer job opportunities. Harvard folks, Harvard.

I have a few family members who ask why so many blacks are poor and why they complain about discrimination. It's because it was never addressed after the civil war.

Had republican abolitionists been able to push through their agenda fully, blacks would've been given land and money (resettlement stipends essentially), confederate leaders would've been punished, and today we'd probably see less inequality and confederate statues.

Much of the leniency for southern leaders can be blamed on Andrew Johnson, lincon's VP. He was a democrat, known to support states' rights, granted amnesty to southern leaders, and did absolutely nothing to help newly freed slaves.

Once slavery was "absolished" in the south, due to Johnson's lack of empathy and concern, slavery as essentially reinstated. Blacks who didn't know how to read and didn't have anything saved up couldn't buy land were left with limited opportunities.

Whites unpunished for treason weren't going to obey the law because it was signed on a piece of paper. So quickly, blacks fell back into slavery, whites became emboldened, and in subsequent decades the Jim Crow laws were set up and statues were built.

And the cycle continues to this day. Newly freed slaves were left behind by the government and their descendants have yet to catch up. Many remained in poverty, lacking good educational opportunities, which has led to decreased employment opportunities. Confederate leaders, unpunished, were allowed to set up systems of inequality that have yet to be eliminated today. Their ancestors have maintained discrimination, and these statues are part of it. To this day, Harvard graduates who are black, earn less than those who are white and see fewer job opportunities. Harvard folks, Harvard.

I have a few family members who ask why so many blacks are poor and why they complain about discrimination. It's because it was never addressed after the civil war.

Had republican abolitionists been able to push through their agenda fully, blacks would've been given land and money (resettlement stipends essentially), confederate leaders would've been punished, and today we'd probably see less inequality and confederate statues.

Most of the statues and memorials for the confederacy are relatively new. There was a spat of erecting statues and memorials during the last 30 years, and before that most of them were made during the civil rights movement. The confederate flag, in particular, was not particularly fashionable until the civil rights movement. So when people talk about heritage it seems like the heritage they are trying to hold onto is racism, hatred and discrimination.

Most of the statues and memorials for the confederacy are relatively new. There was a spat of erecting statues and memorials during the last 30 years, and before that most of them were made during the civil rights movement. The confederate flag, in particular, was not particularly fashionable until the civil rights movement. So when people talk about heritage it seems like the heritage they are trying to hold onto is racism, hatred and discrimination.

View attachment 5375

Most of the monuments were built in the early 20th century and during the Civil Rights era of the 50s and 60s in resistance to progressive reforms. You're not wrong, many have been built in recent decades too. Now why would someone feel the need to build a monument to Lee in 2000? Hmmm... You know, racism is like totally dead, right?

If southern people really wanted to glorify history, why are there so few monuments built up for John Brown, Solomon Northrup, and Frederick Douglas ("I heard he's doing a great job")? If they like flags so much why don't they wave the American flag with pride instead of the flag of traitors, the stars and bars? If Republicans are concerned with preserving history and culture, why aren't they on the frontlines preserving the Native American lands that are being drilled and pipelined through?

You know, history and culture stuff is like totally important... Not racism. Right?

I want to know how far republicans are going to push this. Donald used the slippery slope to spread fear about removing monuments designated for Washington and Jefferson.

I want to pose a similar idiotic comparison, if Republicans want to keep making monuments to traitors and mass murderers of American citizens, when will they construct monuments for Hideki Tojo, Adolf Hitler, Ho Chi Minh, Tim McVeigh, and Osama Bin Laden? If we're going to glorify Lee and Stonewall Jackson, men best known for murdering American citizens and fighting against the American army, why not construct monuments to Tim McVeigh? Just how far are Republicans willing to go down this slippery slope? Today, we construct monuments to Lee. Tomorrow... Hitler? Bin Laden? Where will this end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdUff1x54AI

Thriller, were libraries banned for blacks before the MLK era? Even if they were closed for blacks, what prevented blacks to study the Basic reading and writing with other more knowledgeable blacks like my ancestors did during the Russian regime (1720-1920)? Those Estonias, who were little bit richer established small village schools similar like you can see now in Africa. I guess that even today if you do a poll in some poor black dominated suburbs and ask which is better - listening rap music or reading different kind of generic educational articles from Wikipedia - they would not prefer to get more knowledge whether it is physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology etc.
And again, why asians (chinese, japanese, koreans) are not discriminated? Due the history, i would guess that americans in general would dislike foreign asians more than local blacks.
What are asians doing all over the world differently so for example compared to blacks they can (almost) get visa without problems to any EU country unlike people from Africa.
If you say that civil war is one of the reasons that blacks are poor in USA - why are they also poor in Africa? Most of the countries on Africa survived both world wars, were not nuked, have more Natural resources and are still poorer than Japan, Vietnam, China or Korea...

So I was ignorant about the origins and philosophical bearings of "Antifa", and thought it was a brand new thing got up like BLM for the American experiment in ideological self-destruction we're trying to conduct at the moment.

Goes back to Germany when some over-educated Marxists wanted to exploit Hitler. Europeans folks who have no experience with the American concept of government in the first place, pure "statists" who split hairs over who is going to lord it over the peasants and why. It's entirely an issue of what particular lines of influence or "connections" are going to do the overlording.

The fundamental issue, imo, in regard to minorities is that they have been subjected to exploitation by the fake caring bleeding heart rhetoricians. The whole problem is the evils that follow from believing their political exploiters are really there to "help". Let me put it this way. Believing government should "help" and thus becoming in any degree complacent about taking care of yourself and having pride in doing so. majorities of any color who decide to live off government jobs or handouts might be a worse class of human beings than minorities who might actually be more in need of a fair opportunity.

If you believe the Chinese or other Asians are in some way "superior" humans because they work hard, desperately hard in many cases, you are mistaken. The reason they work so hard is because it is obvious that no government can really take care of them. The Asiatic exception to that consciousness of reality might be the Filipinos who were subjected to American political exploitation by smiling politicians with government handouts in the first half of the twentieth century, after we(the US) "helped" them run out the Spanish and then militarily insisted on staying and managing them, to allow our industrial cartelists to exploit their resources.

No, the reason we have Democrat-managed concentration camps for dependent people in our urban centers is wholly the result of "fascists" who pretend to be helping them with government "care". I think we have some hope of a rising generation rejecting that political exploitation and insisting on actual human rights and opportunity, also known as "American" constitutional limited government.

The miracle that follows from that is people happily finding worthwhile things to do that they really enjoy, and being willing to work at it as hard as any other person ever has. All we need to do is finally insist on limiting our government and making all those bureacrats live in the same reality we do.

Just a reminder of what today’s white supremacist/white grievance rally under the guise of “Gun Rights” actually is about. Oh why’d they pick MLK day to protest? Huge surprise...

Shot game!

Stupidity? Talking about things you’re completely clueless about? Take a shot!

Trump van similar to the guy who sent bombs? Take a shot!

Blasting about public education and how’s it indoctrination? Insert some unnecessary sexual comment? Take a shot!

misogyny? Take a shot!

HAPPY MLK DAY! Perfect day to protest “gun rights” amiwhite? Racism? Take a shot

Last edited:
Lol... the diversity is killing me lol. you’ll get greater diversity in a ward basketball game in Holladay.

more

Just such ****ing ***** (rhymes with runts). Srsly. Show some ****ing respect for MLK. White ppl are the ****ing worst. My daughter in kindergarten is already essentially learning a little bit about Jim Crow laws and read (well, my wife read it) a book on slavery a couple weeks ago one morning before school. She supposedly cried for like 10 minutes about it. That night, she asked some questions and basically I said, white people have a good history of sucking.

Last edited:
All these people are like totally economically anxious and protesting gun rights or something...

Clearly, they’re not uneducated and racist Neanderthals, upset that they’re a shrinking demographic and deceasing in relevance in the 21st century.... /s

Truly this is Trump’s base. And they’re holding the rest of us ransom. I’m tired of coddling these people. It’s time for them to wake up, leave their bubbles, and get in touch with the rest of “real America.”

Last edited:
Dangerous times when supporters of the 2nd amendment are lumped in with supporters of a highly unconstitutional president.

Dangerous times when supporters of the 2nd amendment are lumped in with supporters of a highly unconstitutional president.
Just an FYI, you can support the second amendment and still believe that we need stricter gun laws.

One of the most annoying things about conversations about guns is the stance that only people who believe in unfettered access to guns truly support the 2nd amendment.

The people marching in Virginia support a very particular interpretation of the second amendment, one that isn't shared by the majority of the country.

Hasn't it been extremely obvious from the very start that Trumpism is a politics of fear? A political movement dependent on playing on fears? Is it so hard to fathom that this is exactly what cynical(I can manipulate your fear without you realizing I am using you) demagogues do to attain and retain power? What has Trump done other then play on fears and encourage hatred of anyone, that's anyone, who disagrees with him, to any degree whatsoever? He did not begin our polarization, but he has clearly increased it by taking the most non-presidential position when we least need such a position: "I am a president for my base, and only my base. All other Americans can leave the country if they don't like it". He never said that, but he doesn't need to. Just try to prove that paraphrase is not exactly how he has chosen to govern. Govern through the politics of fear and exclusion. Why do we need such crap? How the hell is this helping our country?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...7f3af0-3bc2-11ea-baca-eb7ace0a3455_story.html

RICHMOND — Y'all, it smelled like fear out here in Virginia.

Scores of men — plus a handful of women — dressed up in battle rattle and draped themselves with assault weapons, long guns and handguns on Monday. They strapped hunting knives to their thighs and wore body armor and body cameras on their chests, shoulders and helmets.

To a rally. A peaceful rally. On city streets in a quiet state capital on a holiday weekend.

That’s a uniform of fear, right there.

Fear of having to pass a background check if they want to buy a gun from a private individual?

Fear of not being able to buy more than one handgun every month?

Fear of not being able to carry an AR-15 across your chest to a county fair that doesn’t want your weapon aboard the Tilt-a-Whirl?

Fear of getting help taking a gun away from your suicidal son?

Because those are all the restrictions on guns that the Virginia House of Delegates passed last week.
-----------------------------------
Imagine the organizers of a county fair in Virginia objecting to folks attending dressed like this. Poor guy is having a basic right taken away.

imrs.php

Just an FYI, you can support the second amendment and still believe that we need stricter gun laws.

One of the most annoying things about conversations about guns is the stance that only people who believe in unfettered access to guns truly support the 2nd amendment.

The people marching in Virginia support a very particular interpretation of the second amendment, one that isn't shared by the majority of the country.
Again it’s a legit protest (in fear of Virginia going down the road of forcible confiscation) stained by the many clowns that can be seen in the footage, who associate supporting the 2nd amendment with supporting Trump.

Again it’s a legit protest (in fear of Virginia going down the road of forcible confiscation) stained by the many clowns that can be seen in the footage, who associate supporting the 2nd amendment with supporting Trump.
It's a nonsense fear, might as well be a fear of the boogeyman.

People like this walk around all gunned out to intimidate. They could have gotten their message across in a much more adult way with petitions, posters and simply peacefully protesting. They act like this and then they wonder why most people think they are nuts and deplorable. I am all for people being able to own a gun or guns to hunt, shoot at a rifle range or for protection in their home but an AR-15 is a military type weapon used for mass carnage and a favorite of mass shootings. The 2nd amendment has been taken hostage and misinterpreted as to support a dangerous ideology used by the corrupt NRA and right-winged fear-mongers preparing for the end of times. Now it is time for the responsibly gun owners to stand up and keep their guns but be open to legislation to help public safety. It is time to have a reasonable conversation and not a time for more fear-monger when the discussion comes up. Having no regulations is not smart or possible if you want safety. Nor is taking away 300 million guns from everyone. They're needs to be more compromise and less intimidation.