What's new

Choose Gobert or Donovan, you can't have both!

Build the future of Utah Jazz

• Rudy Gobert

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Donovan Mitchell

Votes: 23 44.2%

• Total voters
Cy is saying we should go with Rudy over Donovan. What are you missing?

I'm sensitive because idiotic mindsets drive me up the proverbial wall. For a Jazz fan to watch the playoffs the last two years and honestly feel that Gobert is more important than Donovan, I worry about our fan base. It blows my mind. Watch basketball people. Titles are not won by teams led by offensively and physically limited big men.

In terms of accomplishments and statistics, Donovan Mitchell is one of the most accomplished young players in the history of the NBA not just our Jazz. He should be more celebrated not scrutinized.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
You cant even read lmao. I havent even voted on this moronic poll because the hypothetical is ridiculous.

And if you want to be Mr. Who Has Won Past Titles, volume shooting combo guards don't win titles either. AND THE ****ING LEADER IN NBA TITLES IS BILL RUSSELL YOU MORON, so your damn talking point is about as solid as Wes Mantooth's poop after a night of heavy drinking.

And you constantly scrutinize accomplished players constantly if they dont fit thee argument your tying to make. Get off the high horse you ****ing hypocrite.

Last edited:
Mitchell shot a ton of shots against Houston because we literally had no other offensive option. Gobert was easy to shut down, Rubio couldn't shoot, and Joe was also shut down. Favors and Royce were limited.

Mitchell did not have a good series but he was our only chance to win since Gobert was rendered pretty much useless on both ends. You don't remember conversations on whether or not we should play Favors over Gobert due to Gobert being that ineffective?

Ah, so you're making excuses for Mitchell, but dont give Gobert the same concessions? Got it.

And Rubio averaged 15 and 9 on 13 shots a game. Please stop scapegoating others just to protect your Golden Goose. We can be objective about what happened, it doesnt mean we think Mitchell sucks. That series was overall on MItchell and Ingles. They easily lost it for us if you had to point at anyone.

Last edited:
Houston should be an easy mismatch for Mitchell. Houston is small, offers little rim protection, and they switch everything meaning Mitchell can face mismatches constantly. He choked that series. If you cant admit it, then you're kidding yourself.

Houston is the worst matchup for Gobert, and he still overall played well and didnt shoot Utah out of potential victories in close matches.

You cant even read lmao. I havent even voted on this moronic poll because the hypothetical is ridiculous.

And if you want to be Mr. Who Has Won Past Titles, volume shooting combo guards don't win titles either. AND THE ****ING LEADER IN NBA TITLES IS BILL RUSSELL YOU MORON, so your damn talking point is about as solid as Wes Mantooth's poop after a night of heavy drinking.

And you constantly scrutinize accomplished players constantly if they dont fit thee argument your tying to make. Get off the high horse you ****ing hypocrite.
Bill Russell won 11 titles because he was on the best team of the era. Cousy, Havlicek, etc etc. Oh, and the 2nd best coach of all time.

But hey, way to use a semi current example. Bill Russell. Good call. Being up Mikan too while you're at it. And tell us how amazing Joe Namath was and Mickey Mantle too.

You did say something about how idiotic it would be to pick Donovan over Gobert. You've said that for a while now.

Ah, so you're making excuses for Mitchell, but dont give Gobert the same concessions? Got it.

And Rubio averaged 15 and 9 on 13 shots a game. Please stop scapegoating others just to protect your Golden Goose. We can be objective about what happened, it doesnt mean we think Mitchell sucks. That series was overall on MItchell and Ingles. They easily lost it for us if you had to point at anyone.
That's the point Cy. Thanks for making it for me. You're saying the series was lost because of Ingles and Mitchell. Why is that??????.......

Well, because our "best player" according to you got outplayed by a 6'4" center or Capella TWO YEARS IN A ROW. Neither are all stars. Neither are max players. Neither are all that dominate, but they owned Gobert TWO YEARS IN A ROW.

So according to you, Mitchell and Ingles couldn't do the work. Not Gobert huh? Interesting observation for a guy who thinks he knows basketball. Gobert can't carry us come playoff time. Anybody with a basketball brain at all knows this is true. He is an asset, but not the most important guy on our roster.

Houston should be an easy mismatch for Mitchell. Houston is small, offers little rim protection, and they switch everything meaning Mitchell can face mismatches constantly. He choked that series. If you cant admit it, then you're kidding yourself.

Houston is the worst matchup for Gobert, and he still overall played well and didnt shoot Utah out of potential victories in close matches.
Good Lord your basketball knowledge is laughable.

They were smaller and switched? Did you watch the games? They doubled Donovan a lot while manning up strong on Ingles. With Ingles out, Donovan had Favors, Rubio or Gobert to pass to. They sagged off Favors and Gobert clogging the lane. They did still have a shot blocker last year in Capella.

I swear, it's like you read box scores. Donovan had the ball and when he drove by his guy, he had covered Gobert, nonshooter Favors, nonshooter Rubio or completely covered up Joe to pass to all while everything collapsed around him because there were zero threats on the court with Donovan.

Watch basketball. It really helps Cy. If Donovan being so integral wasn't the case, why did our FO go out and intentionally upgrade shooting with Bogey over Favors and Conley over Rubio? Because Gobert who has zero offense on his own could dominate more? Damn dude. Cmon

IMG_8308.JPG

As much as I really Rudy, his credibility really took a hit after what he did, making himself, Jazz players and the organization look like an idiot by not taking the virus situation seriously. But I've said it before and I'll say it again, trade him to the team that drafts James Wiseman or gets the number one pick.

I find myself arguing on both sides of the fence. The truth is both players have glaring weaknesses that make both of them expendable. Not a great situation to be in for the Jazz.

Donovan is the closest thing the Jazz have had to a true superstar both on and off the court since DWill. He's 23 and going to improve. Rudy is 28 we know what he is. Excellent defender, limited offensive player. This isn't a difficult decision if it comes down to it. If you trade Rudy sure you might not get 1 to 1 value but he's easier to replace IMO. You swap out Rudy for say Favors and this team is still good. If you trade Donovan you might as well move the team because you're not going to get someone who's as good on the court and as marketable off it. As much as it sucks those types of things matter in modern sports. You trade Rudy no one around the league is going to question it. You trade Donovan and everyone is going to question it. Just take a loot at twitter and fans of all teams are just clamoring for their team to trade for Don.

Donovan is the closest thing the Jazz have had to a true superstar both on and off the court since DWill. He's 23 and going to improve. Rudy is 28 we know what he is. Excellent defender, limited offensive player. This isn't a difficult decision if it comes down to it. If you trade Rudy sure you might not get 1 to 1 value but he's easier to replace IMO. You swap out Rudy for say Favors and this team is still good. If you trade Donovan you might as well move the team because you're not going to get someone who's as good on the court and as marketable off it. As much as it sucks those types of things matter in modern sports. You trade Rudy no one around the league is going to question it. You trade Donovan and everyone is going to question it. Just take a loot at twitter and fans of all teams are just clamoring for their team to trade for Don.

Great post!

it's so awesome having an almost superstar. I can't wait for the almost championships he's going to almost win us...

it's so awesome having an almost superstar. I can't wait for the almost championships he's going to almost win us...
If a championship is the goal (and it 100% should be) Paying a limited skilled center who good teams can easily scheme around in the playoffs almost 40 million a year isn't going to be the way to get there. You trade Rudy sure you might have to go into a mini retool for a year or 2 but guess what your main offensive player will still be under 25 and just entering their prime and ready for some serious playoff pushes. You trade Donovan you are going to get picks and even younger, less talented players in return (You're not going to get ready made stars in return for either). You will then have to go into a full on rebuild because your main center piece can only shoot from 2 feet out and can easily be outschemed by better teams.
As it currently stands this team is built around both Donovan and Rudy working together and being at the top of their respective games. It is easier to replace the one who can be outplayed by PJ Tucker not the one who commands most attention of opposing defenses. Do both Donovan and Rudy have their flaws? Yes. Which one is most likely to overcome those flaws at this point in their careers? the 23 year old or 28 year old?

If a championship is the goal (and it 100% should be) Paying a limited skilled center who good teams can easily scheme around in the playoffs almost 40 million a year isn't going to be the way to get there. You trade Rudy sure you might have to go into a mini retool for a year or 2 but guess what your main offensive player will still be under 25 and just entering their prime and ready for some serious playoff pushes. You trade Donovan you are going to get picks and even younger, less talented players in return (You're not going to get ready made stars in return for either). You will then have to go into a full on rebuild because your main center piece can only shoot from 2 feet out and can easily be outschemed by better teams.
As it currently stands this team is built around both Donovan and Rudy working together and being at the top of their respective games. It is easier to replace the one who can be outplayed by PJ Tucker not the one who commands most attention of opposing defenses. Do both Donovan and Rudy have their flaws? Yes. Which one is most likely to overcome those flaws at this point in their careers? the 23 year old or 28 year old?
I don't know how many years it takes to overcome being undersized AF.

People seem to forget that one of the statues sitting out front of the arena happens to be of player who was undersized as well but that doesn't seem to matter.