What's new

CJ Miles is the man!

Put CJ and Korver out on the open market together at the exact same price and EACH AND EVERY NBA GM IS GOING TO CHOOSE CJ. Korver is a one trick pony. He's very good at that one trick, but he's still very one dimensional none the less.

Put CJ and Korver out on the open market together at the exact same price and EACH AND EVERY NBA GM IS GOING TO CHOOSE CJ. Korver is a one trick pony. He's very good at that one trick, but he's still very one dimensional none the less.

I don't think every GM would choose CJ. The Spurs value shooters above almost all else to put around their stars. But your right in that most GM's would choose CJ. I for one had no interest in resigning Korver at any price, and neither did the Jazz apparently. As they did not even attempt to make an offer.

Better than Korver can. Yes.

Because Korver knows his limits? Because he doesn't drive to the rim and chuck up a prayer every time he sees a lane open? Na, he shoots the high % shot FOR KORVER. CJ either drives and chucks prayers, or he's lazy and chucks prayers. 33% doesn't buy the green light CJ thinks he has. You need Korver or Horny #'s to earn that.

Ooh, CJ had one nice drive last night. Surprise surprise.

I don't think every GM would choose CJ. The Spurs value shooters above almost all else to put around their stars. But your right in that most GM's would choose CJ. I for one had no interest in resigning Korver at any price, and neither did the Jazz apparently. As they did not even attempt to make an offer.

You're exactly right with what you're saying, so I should have clarified my statement a bit. Yes, Korver is a niche player. If you're a team (like the Spurs) and that's the only thing you're really looking to get out of a player, than Korver would be the choice. The other team that jumps to mind on this is the Jordan-era Bulls with Steve Kerr.

Now, if you're a team that has more needs to fill and you're looking for a better all-around player, CJ is the choice. Am I saying he's great? No, but certainly better all-around than Korver.

Because Korver knows his limits? Because he doesn't drive to the rim and chuck up a prayer every time he sees a lane open? Na, he shoots the high % shot FOR KORVER. CJ either drives and chucks prayers, or he's lazy and chucks prayers. 33% doesn't buy the green light CJ thinks he has. You need Korver or Horny #'s to earn that.

You must have only seen a couple of the minutes he was in.

Oh, and, what a lame thread merge.

i too deeply care about the thriftiness of a multimillionaire who inherited all of his money who would rather fund campaigns against utah democrats than keep the best three point shooter in nba history on his roster

Yes because multimillionaires should use their entire bankroll to fund your special interest by overpaying more multimillionaires. Perfect logic! Why, it has never been clearer.

i too deeply care about the thriftiness of a multimillionaire who inherited all of his money who would rather fund campaigns against utah democrats than keep the best three point shooter in nba history on his roster

Did you mean Reggie Miller for the most 3 pointers made, or Steve Kerr for the best all time 3 point percentage?

Did you mean Reggie Miller for the most 3 pointers made, or Steve Kerr for the best all time 3 point percentage?

Kyle Korver for best single season 3pt percentage in league history last year.

He chucks, but that's his job, especially in the second unit. When the second unit isn't fast breaking, they are quite incompetent at generating offense and CJ is usually the one given the ball in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock. Take CJ off the second unit and they would be hopeless, imo.

He chucks, but that's his job, especially in the second unit. When the second unit isn't fast breaking, they are quite incompetent at generating offense and CJ is usually the one given the ball in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock. Take CJ off the second unit and they would be hopeless, imo.

I'm not concerned with hurry makes or misses, and not so much with his 2nd unit play. The threads have been clustered, so I don't know exactly where I said it, but, he's a chucker when spoon fed by D-Will. He's missing wide open shots, in rhythm, and with more than enough time to set his feet and square his shoulders. I understand Jazz fans have become accustomed to players who cannot knock down a wide open shot, but I'm not. Professional players are paid to put the ball in the bucket. If you cannot do that when nobody is within 10 feet, and you keep shooting, then you're a chucker. All I'm asking of CJ is that he makes his wide open gimme's at a decent percentage. Nothing great. No phenom required. Just a solid % when he's wide *** open.

You're exactly right with what you're saying, so I should have clarified my statement a bit. Yes, Korver is a niche player. If you're a team (like the Spurs) and that's the only thing you're really looking to get out of a player, than Korver would be the choice. The other team that jumps to mind on this is the Jordan-era Bulls with Steve Kerr.

Now, if you're a team that has more needs to fill and you're looking for a better all-around player, CJ is the choice. Am I saying he's great? No, but certainly better all-around than Korver.

You'll get no argument from me. I think CJ is not just better than korver but much better.

I wanted Korver gone, I don't think he fit this team and a player who stops shooting just to break a record needs to be gone. That was a selfish POS move and when I heard about it I lost all respect for Korver. I didn't like him before but I really disliked him after hearing that.

I'm not concerned with hurry makes or misses, and not so much with his 2nd unit play. The threads have been clustered, so I don't know exactly where I said it, but, he's a chucker when spoon fed by D-Will. He's missing wide open shots, in rhythm, and with more than enough time to set his feet and square his shoulders. I understand Jazz fans have become accustomed to players who cannot knock down a wide open shot, but I'm not. Professional players are paid to put the ball in the bucket. If you cannot do that when nobody is within 10 feet, and you keep shooting, then you're a chucker. All I'm asking of CJ is that he makes his wide open gimme's at a decent percentage. Nothing great. No phenom required. Just a solid % when he's wide *** open.

42% is not terrible, wings rarely shoot over 45% from the field. Consider these star and superstar wings:

Brandon Roy 40%
Carmel Anthony 42%
Danny Granger 42%
Gerald Wallace 42%
Kevin Durant 43%
Kobe Bryant 44%
Kevin Martin 44%
Eric Gordan 45%

CJ's 2 and 3 point shooting numbers are equal or within a few percentage points of all those players. CJ does get "spoon fed" a little more than any of those players but not as much as you think. He is one of the lowest on the team at being assisted at 67%. I will also mention CJ is averaging career highs in rebounds, steals, blocks, free throw attempts, and tied for high assists. All in the same amount of minutes from previous years.

That argument would be fine if you included the 8-10 free throws that these players tend to take. If you include the whole picture then CJ is so much less efficient.

Kobe Bryant .454 career fg% + .838 ft%, about 6 per game.
Crymelo .459 career fg% + .801 ft%, about 7 per game.
Durant .459 career fg% + .885 ft % (and improving), he only took about 10 per game last year.
Chucker took a whopping 95 free throws last year, which I'm using as it's arguably his best full season to date and will pull his #'s up.

Comparing CJ's % to the top shooting guards in the league shows absolutely nothing.

That argument would be fine if you included the 8-10 free throws that these players tend to take. If you include the whole picture then CJ is so much less efficient.

Kobe Bryant .454 career fg% + .838 ft%, about 6 per game.
Crymelo .459 career fg% + .801 ft%, about 7 per game.
Durant .459 career fg% + .885 ft % (and improving), he only took about 10 per game last year.
Chucker took a whopping 95 free throws last year, which I'm using as it's arguably his best full season to date and will pull his #'s up.

Comparing CJ's % to the top shooting guards in the league shows absolutely nothing.

There is no question CJ needs to get to the line more and that it is an important part of his evolving game. But he's gone from 1.5 to 2.0 FT's per game since last season in the same minutes. So there is improvement, largely because he's driving more to the basket than he ever has. I think he'll get more calls naturally as refs see him drive more, but I also think he needs to learn to use his body on drives better rather than trying to finesse shots around defenders. He's getting there.