What's new

Clarkson in a slump?

HermanG

Jordan Clarkson numbers for this season are ugly. Lowest points per game in 6 years (despite a prominent starting role), Lower-than-THT TS at 48.1% and BY FAR team high 3.8 turnovers per game. Those two things (scoring and ball security) are supposed to be his strenghts. So if he doesnt have them, what does he bring?

I would claim that if Clarkson had just played to his average level, we would be 3-3 or 4-2 (we for sure win the Magic game where JC shot 5/20 and had 6 TO in 37 minutes + maybe the Nuggets game where JC had more turnovers than points in 34 minutes). Wont speculate on the other losses but our guards have been setting a bad tone and we have fallen behind early and by a lot in those.

So is 6 games too few to call a slump? When is the right time to make a change? And most importantly, if the guards are playing the hunger games then why is Jordan winning the minutes in that game?

I don't think JC got any slump yet . His quality remain the same unfortunatly balanced with the same weak points he got during his career. 6 games too few for having an opinion for me.
And i also don't see who is better than him in the rotation? THT is a poor shooter, Sexton is not better for me and Keyonte is learning. JC when hot can make you win a game almost by himself with 2 or 3 crazy moves. We don't have much players with this quality ( Lauri and JC for me). So i do understand why he got the crutch min.

Clarkson has had hot and cold streaks every since we got him, so this isn't new or concerning. It does feel like some of the playmaking he flashed last year has regressed a little, but it's still early

Ultimately I see Clarkson as a guy that will shoot you out of some games in the regular season, but makes up for it by being a guy who can win you a game in the playoffs.

He needs to lock himself in a gym and only work on his handle and his passing. I wish there was a metric for unforced TOs. I swear he has to be top 5 NBA for unforced TOs.

I think all the TOs add to his frustration and mental state and it impacts his shooting.

We need more threat from other players. If JC our only , it won’t be too hopeful. Makes it easier to guard him

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

I have soured alot on Clarkson. I keep telling myself it is because of the world cup. He is just tired.

Maybe he just needs a few weeks off with a mysterious illness.

Except the inseason tournament is starting.

I think he is a 6th man and not a starter. Plus playing basketball this Summer could have taken a toll on him. Who knows but he needs to play better if the Jazz want to make the playoffs.

Lack of spacing on the floor is probably a factor for our guards having a hard time creating off the dribble. Teams are hedging off of Collins and THT, as well as not guarding Kessler outside of 7 feet.

Last edited:
Lack of spacing on the floor is probably a factor for our guards having a hard time creating off the dribble. Teams are hedging off on Collins and THT, as well as not guarding Kessler outside of 7 feet.

All of this was expected and discussed in depth ages ago.

Yet Ainge did nothing over the summer to improve the situation.

Wonder why?

All of this was expected and discussed in depth ages ago.

Yet Ainge did nothing over the summer to improve the situation.

Wonder why?

Because if you really take a close look at this roster, you'll see it's designed to win 30-35 games. That will change mid-season if the Jazz decide to trade Olynyk and Clarkson. Personally, I would try to extend Olynyk.

Lack of spacing on the floor is probably a factor for our guards having a hard time creating off the dribble. Teams are hedging off of Collins and THT, as well as not guarding Kessler outside of 7 feet.
This is such a weird comment for a team that at the time was top 10 in both 3PA and 3P% while Collins was 39.1%. Wolves game made those stats worse but they are the best defensive team in the NBA right now.

This is such a weird comment for a team that at the time was top 10 in both 3PA and 3P% while Collins was 39.1%. Wolves game made those stats worse but they are the best defensive team in the NBA right now.

Lauri alone had made 47.7% from his downtown shots before this game - had taken 20% of all those and made 25% from all of our threes and has been consistent with it to start... Having one of the best 3-shooters in the league skews these things in small sample sizes . There is the factor to account in... Collins.was good just in last two games before this and below average in all other games. All of this matters. The point that ferguson made will stand imo.

Lauri alone had made 47.7% from his downtown shots before this game - had taken 20% of all those and made 25% from all of our threes and has been consistent with it to start... Having one of the best 3-shooters in the league skews these things in small sample sizes . There is the factor to account in... Collins.was good just in last two games before this and below average in all other games. All of this matters. The point that ferguson made will stand imo.
Yeah and Steph has taken over 30% of GSW threes and is responsible for 38.5% of their makes. All of that matters how?

You either go by the breakdown and look at the tape, or if you go by the stats then you look at the individual numbers. If you go by the numbers the fact is Collins has 3rd most attempts per game (behind Lauri and Clarkson) and 4th highest percentage (behind Lauri, KO and Fontecchio). He suffers from the lack of ball movement as much as anyone on the team. Lauri is making some tough shots but no one else in the Jazz is really capable of putting up and making 3s at a high clip in our team without getting a helping hand.

Lauri does it simply by his off ball movement, height and quick release. He essentially self-creates most of his 3 opportunities without dribbling once. You sure as hell cannot credit the guards for those short perimeter passes where Lauri just lets it rip. The dumb "he needs to be spoonfed" takes from last year look pretty silly right about now when no one in this team can even hold a spoon for a hot second.

Last edited:
Clarkson is the main reason for us losing. He might be broken now.

You cant win with a guy shooting 36% jacking up that many shots, dominating the ball, and a turnover machine.

Clarkson had this same type of start to the season 2 years ago. He'll eventually get back on track, it's almost guaranteed.

Doesn't mean it hurts any less in the present tense. He can absolutely shoot you out of games.

Clarkson had this same type of start to the season 2 years ago. He'll eventually get back on track, it's almost guaranteed.

Doesn't mean it hurts any less in the present tense. He can absolutely shoot you out of games.
Clarkson has cold shooting times but never this bad everywhere on the court. Looking at his game logs from 2 years ago it was a slow start but no where near this bad. He wasnt turning the ball over so much and his inside shot was still falling, he was just off from 3.

He might turn it around but he needs to do it from the bench. He needs to get back to the role he is good at.

Clarkson has cold shooting times but never this bad everywhere on the court. Looking at his game logs from 2 years ago it was a slow start but no where near this bad. He wasnt turning the ball over so much and his inside shot was still falling, he was just off from 3.

He might turn it around but he needs to do it from the bench. He needs to get back to the role he is good at.

He wasn't asked to play make nearly as much two years ago, so not surprised that his turnovers were lower. I'll concede that I could be remembering it wrong though.

At times last year he looked like a bonafide play maker. He's really regressed this year somehow.