What's new

Clarkson Likely to Get Extension

Yeah I am not sure on the rules but that sounds like the right ballpark. If he is looking for 3/60 those would be close enough. If he turns those down it isn't because he wants like 10% more... it is because he is looking for something more like what CJ McCollum got... he got 3/100M. So if a good offer comes along I would probably be inclined to take that instead of risk FA or pay JC 3/80ish.
he is probably going to get less than he wants no matter what unless they trade him to a contender that has cap space next summer.

I think you guys are way too low in terms of what Klutch will be demanding.
That McCollum 3/$100mil extension is probably much closer to the benchmark they will be looking for in FA. Jordan Poole just signed a 4/$128 mil extension this past summer.
This is JC's chance at the big payday and Klutch will demand starting SG money which probably begins at $25mil for the first year on an extension with yearly raises.

If Jazz are going to play games and offer him some ridiculous 3/$60 he probably goes to a team such as the Lakers. If we're being totally honest it's very likely he might prefer to play there especially at this point of his career.

That McCollum 3/$100mil extension is probably much closer to the benchmark they will be looking for in FA. Jordan Poole just signed a 4/$128 mil extension this past summer.
This is JC's chance at the big payday and Klutch will demand starting SG money which probably begins at $25mil for the first year on an extension with yearly raises.

If Jazz are going to play games and offer him some ridiculous 3/$60 he probably goes to a team such as the Lakers. If we're being totally honest it's very likely he might prefer to play there especially at this point of his career.
No thanks. He isn't worth that kind of money 3 years from now when we will need him to be. Of course if the cap goes way up and 3/100mil becomes the norm for above average but not quite all star players then I guess so. It isn't my money.

He's been better than Poole and Jordan got the full damn bag. I think he is worth 3/60.... I am just worried a terrible team offers 3/75 or something kinda wild... if he walked at that point then fine... he doesn't have enormous trade value, but say we "matched" the offer and its more like 3/80. I think DL paying like 20% too much on every deal has me worried. I also didn't expect us to be married to JC and Sexton long term... I suppose we could get Anthony Black or Cason Wallace and that 3 guard setup might be pretty solid.
The thing is, if we are committing a sizeable bag to JC, we need to get rid of Sexton. He hasnt played terrible, but he has been blowing minds either plus he's had a couple of nagging injuries. I would be curious to see what Sexton's value is. Could you get an expiring contract and a first? Or just an expiring and a second? Or just an expiring? Or even that?

No thanks. He isn't worth that kind of money 3 years from now when we will need him to be. Of course if the cap goes way up and 3/100mil becomes the norm for above average but not quite all star players then I guess so. It isn't my money.
Based on what other scoring SG's are getting in this market I think JC is worth at least 3/$85mil at the very minimum. Even Terry Rozier is on a 4/$96mil contract.

I'm not sure the current Jazz is in a position to give him that type of money? This team might be 3-4 years away from real contention and will need to find several difference makers thru trades/draft to get there. Giving such a huge contract to a non all star type guard who is already over 30 probably doesn't make a ton of sense. Teams like the Pels and Warriors who already have multiple stars on their roster can afford to give up all financial flexibility to resign their scoring, non all star type guards.

Tough decision for Ainge. I'm guessing teams like the Lakers or Suns(with their new ownership) who already have established superstars on their roster would pay a big price to resign a JC type.
If Jazz don't deal him by the deadline, (I'm guessing they won't) they better be ready to step up day one of FA and offer him a $100mil type contract. Just my hunch as I don't see Klutch giving any discounts here especially since this is JC's one chance for the huge payday.

1. McCollum had a long track record of high level play
2. Poole got paid on his age/upside

I just cant see him getting Poole or CJ money at all.

I think Norman Powell is the best direct comp in recent years. Powell went with long-term security and signed a 5/90.

If I'm Clarkson and his agent, I'm asking for a 2+1 player option in the range of 65-70 million. Gives him a out for when the contract spike again to sign his last sizeable contract.

The thing is, if we are committing a sizeable bag to JC, we need to get rid of Sexton. He hasnt played terrible, but he has been blowing minds either plus he's had a couple of nagging injuries. I would be curious to see what Sexton's value is. Could you get an expiring contract and a first? Or just an expiring and a second? Or just an expiring? Or even that?
I actually like Sexton's energy as a 6th man.
With that said if you want him traded than you better hope he gets back from the hammy and balls out the 2nd half of the season. I think he could definitely have value at the draft. His contract is very tradeable especially compared to other scoring 6th man types such as Jordan Poole. Obviously the value is gone if he misses significant time to injury for the 2nd year in a row.

I think committing that much money to those two also kind of marries you to the middle/mediocre. Can’t quite articulate why but stacking a bunch of those types of deals can end up painting you in a corner a bit.

It’s tricky… if we got like 1/2 pick this year then I’d say retain talent where you can for a quick turnaround… if not I think you need to trim the roster a bit.

Dallas and Miami we’re both linked to Sexton in the off-season. I’d imagine we could take back bad salary like Bertans or Robinson with a premium unprotected or lightly protected pick attached.

1. McCollum had a long track record of high level play
2. Poole got paid on his age/upside

I just cant see him getting Poole or CJ money at all.

I think Norman Powell is the best direct comp in recent years. Powell went with long-term security and signed a 5/90.

If I'm Clarkson and his agent, I'm asking for a 2+1 player option in the range of 65-70 million. Gives him a out for when the contract spike again to sign his last sizeable contract.
Respectfully disagree. Just look at that Terry Rozier contract.

Powell has never put up these Clarkson numbers as a starter. The type of offer you are suggesting would probably be considered an insult especially after all JC has done for this franchise.

There's no reason in the world for Klutch to settle for a 2+1 contract.

I think committing that much money to those two also kind of marries you to the middle/mediocre. Can’t quite articulate why but stacking a bunch of those types of deals can end up painting you in a corner a bit.

It’s tricky… if we got like 1/2 pick this year then I’d say retain talent where you can for a quick turnaround… if not I think you need to trim the roster a bit.
IDK, I kind of expect Clarkson to be pretty good for the next 3 years. Unless he gets something that is just outrageous I see him being very tradeable.

Respectfully disagree. Just look at that Terry Rozier contract.

Powell has never put up these Clarkson numbers as a starter. The type of offer you are suggesting would probably be considered an insult especially after all JC has done for this franchise.

There's no reason in the world for Klutch to settle for a 2+1 contract.
The year before his last signed contract Norman averaged 19-3-2 while shooting 42 from 3.

Yes, not as good as Clarkson this year, but Norman was also viewed in a higher regard defensively and from a efficiency standpoint, plus was on the better side of 30 compared to when Clarkson will sign.

So you can disagree all you want, but you are clearly wrong. Clarkson and Powell are the two most comparable free agents to each other in terms of production, position, age, UFA, 2nd round draft picks, etc. There are a lot of parallels to draw between the two. I'm not saying he will get Norm's contract, but that would be my reference point if I was entering negotiations.

And I also dont know what you are saying with Rozier. Much different scenarios throughout their career.

FWIW the Raptor fans want to trade Gary Trent Jr because apparently Klutch wants a new contract extension starting at $25 mil per season with raises.

JC might be the better all around player when you factor in his playmaking although he's obviously older than GTJ.

I just believe we better be prepared to see Klutch demand a huge contract for JC. We shall see how it plays out. Obviously Danny and the org are having these types of internal talks right now.

The year before his last signed contract Norman averaged 19-3-2 while shooting 42 from 3.

Yes, not as good as Clarkson this year, but Norman was also viewed in a higher regard defensively and from a efficiency standpoint, plus was on the better side of 30 compared to when Clarkson will sign.

So you can disagree all you want, but you are clearly wrong. Clarkson and Powell are the two most comparable free agents to each other in terms of production, position, age, UFA, 2nd round draft picks, etc. There are a lot of parallels to draw between the two. I'm not saying he will get Norm's contract, but that would be my reference point if I was entering negotiations.

And I also dont know what you are saying with Rozier. Much different scenarios throughout their career.
Powell and Covington were also traded for a bag of basketballs last season too. Powell was also traded the year before by Toronto since they didn't want to pay him.
I just see 2 way different situations with Powell and JC.

Clarkson is not without flaws but damn he is so lethal when he is on and crucial to our offense .... We need him! His offense makes up for his mishaps when he is flaming on
I obviously overreacted a little, but we have to realize that these guys don’t grow on trees. Not many guys that do all the things consistently well that Clarkson can do and then also have that extra gear and grit necessary to step up and take over a game in crunch time. Truthfully, I read a few posts about how he can’t run a team and needs to go back to the bench and after his Herculean effort just kinda flipped out. And even beyond last night, win or lose, we’re in every single game. Our record is more an indication of Hardy/Ainge sneaky tanking than anything else imo.

I obviously overreacted a little, but we have to realize that these guys don’t grow on trees. Not many guys that do all the things consistently well that Clarkson can do and then also have that extra gear and grit necessary to step up and take over a game in crunch time. Truthfully, I read a few posts about how he can’t run a team and needs to go back to the bench and after his Herculean effort just kinda flipped out. And even beyond last night, win or lose, we’re in every single game. Our record is more an indication of Hardy/Ainge sneaky tanking than anything else imo.
Honestly most on here think that we can obtain talent easily which isn't the case. And the truth of the matter is ... He isn't gonna be easy to replace. I agree with you totally and have always saw your point of view

Honestly most on here think that we can obtain talent easily which isn't the case. And the truth of the matter is ... He isn't gonna be easy to replace. I agree with you totally and have always saw your point of view
You hit the nail squarely on the head with that revelation brother! It’s like the sky is falling around here sometimes it seems to me.

This team might be 3-4 years away from real contention and will need to find several difference makers thru trades/draft to get there.
Wanna touch this, since FO has said Jordan fits our window.

Im getting a sense people on this board are not impressed by the team as much as the FO and HC are.

I truely think if we upgrade 4 and 1 (mainly defensively) without giving up too much from our depth, we will start blowing away the bottom teams and beating top teams more consistently.

We have one of the best offenses.. just need someone who can lock down point and one wing defender who arent downgrades offensively from KO and Conley.