What's new

College Debt Forgiveness

That's exactly what the grown-ups were saying when I was in my 20s. It's almost like the nostalgia effect is a thing.
Yep, I heard the same thing but I felt like people actually listened and did it. The entitlement was not there and not complained about the same. I dont think everyone is that way but its changed. There is a reason this generation is quitting jobs at a higher rate than ever.

I also think there are lots of other issues going on. But one of those isnt needing college to be free for everyone and isnt needing the government to pay off your school debts.

I also think there are lots of other issues going on. But one of those isnt needing college to be free for everyone and isnt needing the government to pay off your school debts.
It kind of is though when the student debt crisis prevents a large group of people from stimulating their local economies.

It kind of is though when the student debt crisis prevents a large group of people from stimulating their local economies.
Or being able to maintain any personal savings, or buy a house. There's no way these sorts of things could have crippling effects to the economy down the road...

People can also get loans for cars, but I don't hear much about loans distorting the car marketplace. We still see comparison shopping and price, among other things, being a factor.

Are you suggesting that the Government subsidizes car loans? If not, that is free market capitalism.

Contrast that to home mortgage tax credits that clearly inflate home prices. That is the analogy you are looking for.

Dumping cash into the economy stimulates the economy.

Would it be better to just give it to poor people and not selectively give it to college grads? (I'm not advocating this, btw)

People can also get loans for cars, but I don't hear much about loans distorting the car marketplace. We still see comparison shopping and price, among other things, being a factor.

Probably because that's not a hot topic for crisis discussion. Basic economic theory tells us interest rates shift the demand portion of the curve. Interest rate policy is the bedrock of our economy.

Sounds like a very expensive way to buy votes......until people realize that they'll just be paying for someone else's student loans instead of their own.

When the majority of a generation is in a situation maybe putting it down to 'personal choices' is a bit short sighted.

The youth are poor, and that's a problem, though I don't think student loan forgiveness is the solution either.

Whatever happened to struggle? Seriously, the kids who incur this debt can struggle mightily for 5-10 years. It’ll teach them a lot about hard work, making prudent decisions, and fiscal responsibility. I’m not preaching. I’m being serious. Struggling is not a bad thing. I hope my kids struggle a lot. It’s not the only way one learns but imo it’s the best and most lasting way.

When the majority of a generation is in a situation maybe putting it down to 'personal choices' is a bit short sighted.

The youth are poor, and that's a problem, though I don't think student loan forgiveness is the solution either.

I have said multiple times in this thread that tuition prices are inflated because of the guaranteed federal loans. That's a problem.

At the same time, I don't feel that bad for people not understanding basic finances. We have a ton of resources available to anybody who wants/needs them. Ignorance is not an excuse.

So, keep rents lower in some places is making rent rates go up?

In SLC there is simply a housing shortage which is why rent is going up. But a lot of housing is low income housing that isnt filled. So it is creating an arbitrary higher housing shortage for people who dont qualify for the low income and this is driving up prices. I dont know if that is happening other places as well but I would guess its a common problem in bigger cities. Apartments have a lot of incentive in SLC to be low income housing.

In SLC there is simply a housing shortage which is why rent is going up. But a lot of housing is low income housing that isnt filled. So it is creating an arbitrary higher housing shortage for people who dont qualify for the low income and this is driving up prices. I dont know if that is happening other places as well but I would guess its a common problem in bigger cities. Apartments have a lot of incentive in SLC to be low income housing.

Maybe in SLC that's a real thing, but in every city I've lived in low income housing is packed to the gills (usually with wait lists that'll take years to get approved).

Maybe in SLC that's a real thing, but in every city I've lived in low income housing is packed to the gills (usually with wait lists that'll take years to get approved).
It used to be that way in SLC but that changed about 5-10 years ago with more programs opening up. Things changed quickly. Ive heard it happening many places but I have no data to back it up.