What's new

Collin Sexton SZN

I think Collin is still someone where the basic numbers don’t tell the whole story….but his production+efficiency is becoming undeniable at this point. He’s in incredible form right now.
Agreed. Hard to quantify how much his personality, work ethic, intensity, etc rubs off on his teammates. I bet it has a bit of a positive effect on them.

Agreed. Hard to quantify how much his personality, work ethic, intensity, etc rubs off on his teammates. I bet it has a bit of a positive effect on them.
He's improved on a lot of things and it seems to all be coming together for him. Even his defense... like its still never going to be good or a strong point but he's finding ways to be positive and contribute. His willingness to participate will make him less flammable than a guy like Don who couldn't be bothered.

He needs to be getting a few more minutes at this point. His production is insane. Hardy needs to be a little more tolerant imo.

Ideally I think you have someone who makes Lauri better....While he has improved as a passer, I still don't think Sexton has the same positive effect as other guards who have similar production.....But Lauri's gravity also makes other players better, and Sexton is able to take advantage of it as well as anyone. I think I had this discussion with someone before the season. Sexton isn't the most ideal player for Lauri, but Lauri is the perfect player for Sexton to succeed as an individual and as long as he's efficient I don't care who ends up getting the bucket.

He comes off as such a great teammate and hard worker that it has to rub off on guys. I feel like having him as a starter also has an impact on all his positive attributes getting across rather than from a guy getting inconsistent bench minutes like we saw during the first portion of the season.

Ideally I think you have someone who makes Lauri better....While he has improved as a passer, I still don't think Sexton has the same positive effect as other guards who have similar production.....But Lauri's gravity also makes other players better, and Sexton is able to take advantage of it as well as anyone. I think I had this discussion with someone before the season. Sexton isn't the most ideal player for Lauri, but Lauri is the perfect player for Sexton to succeed as an individual and as long as he's efficient I don't care who ends up getting the bucket.
The question we have to ask is how much more improvement does Sexton have in the passing department because I think he has clearly made strides this year. I don't think he is as good of a playmaker as Mitchell but I think he has the potential to get close to that level.

The question we have to ask is how much more improvement does Sexton have in the passing department because I think he has clearly made strides this year. I don't think he is as good of a playmaker as Mitchell but I think he has the potential to get close to that level.
Yeah, it is wild. Sexton still has fairly large improvement areas on the table that are within reach. His off the dribble 3 point shooting has been god awful (iirc, not fact checked to be up to date) this season as well.

He's improved on a lot of things and it seems to all be coming together for him. Even his defense... like its still never going to be good or a strong point but he's finding ways to be positive and contribute. His willingness to participate will make him less flammable than a guy like Don who couldn't be bothered.

He needs to be getting a few more minutes at this point. His production is insane. Hardy needs to be a little more tolerant imo.
I think he is pretty close to the point where he should be viewed as a good defender. He puts in effort on that end of the court and has dialed back the intensity level a bit that constantly got him out of position. When I played ball my favorite guys to play defense with were the ones that didn't really gamble and focused on just guarding their guy. The worst was when you played with guys that constantly gambled and forced other teammates to rotate and cover their mistake which then led to an open man.

I think he is pretty close to the point where he should be viewed as a good defender. He puts in effort on that end of the court and has dialed back the intensity level a bit that constantly got him out of position. When I played ball my favorite guys to play defense with were the ones that didn't really gamble and focused on just guarding their guy. The worst was when you played with guys that constantly gambled and forced other teammates to rotate and cover their mistake which then led to an open man.
Idk if Sexton can ever be viewed as good defender. He doesn't have high level instincts in that end required to be a plus defender as a small guard.

He's does a good job of not being free lunch when he is there. But sometimes he doesn't always get there. And sometimes he does everything perfectly fine but the other guy just shoots over him

I know Mitchell has garnered some mixed opinions, but I will always stand by his impact as a true offensive engine. The production, efficiency, assists numbers are one thing.....but Mitchell's biggest impact was constant breaking down the defense and getting the defense in rotation. His threat as a jump shooter also opens things up quite a bit. I'm not sure Sexton has that ability and I'm not even sure you can develop this kind of "it factor". It's kind of a feel for the game thing imo. Even though their per minute/efficiency numbers are similar, I still think Mitchell is far ahead on impact. But there's no shame in falling short of Mitchell, especially when getting paid half the max.

The worst was when you played with guys that constantly gambled and forced other teammates to rotate and cover their mistake which then led to an open man.
In other words, pre-23/24 Kris Dunn (not that he still doesn't do that now and then).

I commend Sexton's effort and willingness to sacrifice his body on D, but he's still nowhere close to being a good NBA defender. His advanced stats are either very meh or extremely negative on that side of the ball.

Size may prevent him from every being a plus defender. The guy love basketball, has endless energy, and wants to improve so who knows.

Love guys that gamble and then when you rotate to cover for them your guy scores lol. The favorite guys I like guarding me are the ones that are gamblers... don't even have to make a move just wait for them to reach and you are past em. As a guard I love playing with any big that can cover the rim and rebound.... that's my fav teammate.

Size may prevent him from every being a plus defender. The guy love basketball, has endless energy, and wants to improve so who knows.

Love guys that gamble and then when you rotate to cover for them your guy scores lol. The favorite guys I like guarding me are the ones that are gamblers... don't even have to make a move just wait for them to reach and you are past em. As a guard I love playing with any big that can cover the rim and rebound.... that's my fav teammate.
The worst part was that I had a coach one time that was an idiot that viewed aggressiveness as the most important thing so he constantly praised the gamblers and ripped into the guys that had to rotate at which point their own man would get a clean look. We didn't have someone recording our games either so we couldn't go to the film to show him what was actually happening.

Sexton is adding a new dimension to his game with his passing for sure. Compared to what he did in Cleveland, where his sole purpose was to attach and score, now he is a bit more selective when he attacks and has learnt to look for open teammates. He just turned 25 and is maturing as a player. I hope he keeps developing his drive-and-kick-out plays still further because he's so good at entering the paint and that is a winning play in today's NBA.

Sexton’s stats as a starter this season (17 games):

21.2 PPG, 4.8 APG, 2.5 RPG, 1.0 SPG on 51/40/90 shooting splits in 27.1 MPG

We are 13-4 in this span

THIS MAN IS AVERAGING 21.2 PPG ON 51/40/90 SHOOTING SPLITS AS A STARTER!!!

dude is now somehow good at the basketball game. wtf I watched some of his years with the Cavs and he was probably the least favourite person i'd just about ever watched play

Collin is flat out ballin! I love this dude....if l had a man crush it'd be Collin!! He is giving max effort on both ends of the court. Loved that play in the 3rd l think when Siakam was posting him up and had the ball and Sexton was on his back and playing him tight and anticipated Siakam going left before he knew he was going left!! The Jazz are sick to watch....loving this turnaround and team togetherness!!

Neither does he have Mitchells posse banging on him about how he's too big for this market. I'm liking this bird we have in the hand who's happy to be here and working hard to outplay his contract.

Watching Sexton drive into 3 players only to get blocked while everyone else was wide open feels like years ago even though it was happening every game to start the season.