What's new

Collin Sexton SZN

With Collin and Lauri we are now getting like 50pts+ per 36 on 65%+TS.

Lauri is 15th in the league in scoring per 36, Collin is 19th. The 65% TS is on par with Giannis, Joel, etc. For the season Sexton is like 62% TS which is in Zion/Steph category. As a starter he is 65% which I suspect will drop a bit.

When you are getting that consistently and adding in some defensive support or one or two other good nights from either JC or Tech or Dunn etc.... you win a lot.

I think a lot of this is sustainable.

I still hesitate to put him up with guys like Brunson, Maxey, Fox etc. They've been doing it longer and I think they play in a way that puts more constant threat on the defense. Having said that, Sexton's production is already up there with those guys. His recent play rivals pretty much everyone in the league.

Once upon a time I thought Sexton could be like Fox if he improved his passing/BBIQ. I've definitely given up on him many times, so no victory laps, but I think that's where he could be headed as a player. I don't think he'll be putting up a crazy efficient 38/7 per36 or whatever he's doing now.....but and efficient 25/6 per36. Yeah I think that's possible.

With Collin and Lauri we are now getting like 50pts+ per 36 on 65%+TS.

Lauri is 15th in the league in scoring per 36, Collin is 19th. The 65% TS is on par with Giannis, Joel, etc. For the season Sexton is like 62% TS which is in Zion/Steph category. As a starter he is 65% which I suspect will drop a bit.

When you are getting that consistently and adding in some defensive support or one or two other good nights from either JC or Tech or Dunn etc.... you win a lot.

I think a lot of this is sustainable.
I agree and applaud.

They also both feed each other (spacing, passing, motions, screens, off ball activity), and can do it with the other on the bench (so not dependent of each other).

EDIT: And they both are capable of sparking up the crowd/team, as is Clarkson.

I need him over 30 minutes a night though. I know we are trying to walk a tight rope with JC as well but it needs to happen.

I think what's a little different about Sexton compared to other guards with similar production is that while he's not quite the heliocentric offensive engine the others are.....he's way better a producing in other ways like cutting, transition, broken plays etc. In the trade thread, everyone is afraid about what happens when he plays with a another ball hander....and I get that. I was totally against the THT+Sexton combo. But I think his skillset will allow him to play off of another guard and at some point we will want another guard to pair with him. Sexton + 4 guys who don't create with the ball is asking too much of him.

I think what's a little different about Sexton compared to other guards with similar production is that while he's not quite the heliocentric offensive engine the others are.....he's way better a producing in other ways like cutting, transition, broken plays etc. In the trade thread, everyone is afraid about what happens when he plays with a another ball hander....and I get that. I was totally against the THT+Sexton combo. But I think his skillset will allow him to play off of another guard and at some point we will want another guard to pair with him. Sexton + 4 guys who don't create with the ball is asking too much of him.
Any primary ballhandler we get needs to be a ball mover. Even Dunn can get too dribbly sometimes. Haven't watched Murray enough but yes... Sexton is off ball a lot or isn't trying to be a point... not nearly as ball dominant as like JC. If someone else is shifting the defense then sending him to attack its a problem for the defense.

I think Dunn is a great compliment for Sexton. AC Fresh would likely be an upgrade but there aren't a lot of guys in that mold that fit defensively. Murray theoretically could be the guy. I don't want any part of Lavine though.

Any primary ballhandler we get needs to be a ball mover. Even Dunn can get too dribbly sometimes. Haven't watched Murray enough but yes... Sexton is off ball a lot or isn't trying to be a point... not nearly as ball dominant as like JC. If someone else is shifting the defense then sending him to attack its a problem for the defense.

I think Dunn is a great compliment for Sexton. AC Fresh would likely be an upgrade but there aren't a lot of guys in that mold that fit defensively. Murray theoretically could be the guy. I don't want any part of Lavine though.

I kinda think Lavine would be awesome offensively. Lavine is pretty versatile with and without the ball, I think he can change his game to be the right amount of on/off ball. Sexton is incredible right now no doubt, but I don't think we should be asking him to be THIS good to make our offense work. Defensively...I don't want to go through that again

I'm just cautious of drinking our own koolaid too much. Bald Eagle is amazing and would be amazing for us....but I still don't think 4 non creators is the way to go. As amazing as Sexton and the team is playing right now, I think there will be a point where we realize Dunn's deficiencies. I think we will eventually turn to JC, which is to say we need a more reliable 2way option. I'm very interested in Murray if his price is low enough.

An underrated factor in Sexton leveling up this season is that he finally looks like he's completely recovered from his knee surgery. He had stretches last season where he played very well, but he never looked like he had all his explosiveness and quickness. Now he's back to being an amazing athlete who doesn't hesitate when going up in traffic.

The flipside is that Sexton's playing style is sometimes scary to watch. He puts his body on the line like a young D-Rose.

An underrated factor in Sexton leveling up this season is that he finally looks like he's completely recovered from his knee surgery. He had stretches last season where he played very well, but he never looked like he had all his explosiveness and quickness. Now he's back to being an amazing athlete who doesn't hesitate when going up in traffic.

The flipside is that Sexton's playing style is sometimes scary to watch. He puts his body on the line like a young D-Rose.
His health may be the biggest benefit when it comes to limiting his minutes. He plays so hard that keeping him around 30 minutes a game could be key to keeping him fresh.

I guess I can see some parallels with the toughness aspect, but they do it in different ways.
Maybe I'm reading him wrong but I think he is more so talking about them blowing up rather than playing a similar style.

Maybe I'm reading him wrong but I think he is more so talking about them blowing up rather than playing a similar style.
Yeah, you're reading it wrong. He gave no context to what he specifically meant, so that's definitely you putting your own spin on it.

He very well could be. I think we all have kind of glossed over his 3rd year because his team sucked but he did average 24.3pts a game on very good efficiency.
Yup, then he missed an entire year then got traded and went immediately to the bench. He’s had to scratch and crawl to get where he is now. He’s still improving and progressing.

He went from being on a team where he was looked at as the team jewel after LBJ left before he even stepped on the court and was the target of the vets who weren’t happy he left. They didn’t have his back and the team being devoid of talent too much was placed on him to the point he wasn’t given the chance to develop all aspects of his game. Because of those circumstances I think he was given an unfair rep of being a losing player to the point that the cavs basically drafted his replacement.

Then, he was traded here where he wasn’t given a shot at starting. He’s a young player that now has to start over and learn another role, and on top of that he spent a lot of the season injured. But through it all it can’t be looked over that he stayed positive and a team player you never saw him use poor body language. All of this has only made him a better person and player. He has a strong constitution and will. I don’t think there’s anything he can’t overcome. He can only get better.

He went from being on a team where he was looked at as the team jewel after LBJ left before he even stepped on the court and was the target of the vets who weren’t happy he left. They didn’t have his back and the team being devoid of talent too much was placed on him to the point he wasn’t given the chance to develop all aspects of his game. Because of those circumstances I think he was given an unfair rep of being a losing player to the point that the cavs basically drafted his replacement.
The only vets really left there were Kevin Love and JC. Rather than some far-fetched "they were angry that LeBron left and everybody from the front office down took it out on Collin" theory, maybe the more logical reason is the right one. Sexton was exactly everything we often hated from him last year, except he was it all the time. Nobody coached it out of him or showed him a better path - which is happening now. Collin didn't play with blinders on always looking to score himself because he's an *******, but that's just who he was as a player back then and nobody really even tried, at least that hard, to mold him different.

Good post.
He couldn't dunk last year as easily as now

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

The only vets really left there were Kevin Love and JC. Rather than some far-fetched "they were angry that LeBron left and everybody from the front office down took it out on Collin" theory, maybe the more logical reason is the right one. Sexton was exactly everything we often hated from him last year, except he was it all the time. Nobody coached it out of him or showed him a better path - which is happening now. Collin didn't play with blinders on always looking to score himself because he's an *******, but that's just who he was as a player back then and nobody really even tried, at least that hard, to mold him different.
Wrong. There was also Hood, JR Smith, Kyle Korver, Channing Frye, Alec Burks, Matthew Dellavedova. They had plenty of none prospect type players. A vet isn’t someone that’s been in the league 10 or more years. And then there’s this.