What's new

Colorado joining the Big 12 conference

That's interesting. I think there is a scenario where holding out from the Big 12 could be beneficial. I've heard national radio guys talk about the SEC and Big 10 eventually getting to 20 teams. If they really expand that far then Utah could be included at that point, and not having a contract with the Big 12 might be appealing. That would be super risky though and would likely involve several years of not being in a great conference. That could really set a program back.
I agree.
I did read today that utah has an impromptu board of trustees meeting set for tuesday. My belief is that meeting is to vote on whether they want to go to the big12 or not and think they vote yes and big 12 accepts their application. I think most likely scenario is still utah, asu, and az to the big 12

I don't know how much stock I put in Utah not returning calls to the Big 12.
there is more than that. Mark Harlan (utah AD) tweeted some things about the big 12 that were unprofessional and insulting as well.

there is more than that. Mark Harlan (utah AD) tweeted some things about the big 12 that were unprofessional and insulting as well.
After looking this up, it wasn't that bad. He was basically asked about conference realignment as it pertains to the big 12 and responded with "give me a break" in a dismissive way. Then said
“I’ve been clear all along- the other schools in our conference have been clear all along that we’re together,” Harlan said. “We’re 10. We’ve said it. We’re working hard with our commissioner to get this deal done. It’s a complicated deal. There is structure and high expectations with ADs and certainly the presidents and chancellors for the commissioner to nail this thing so we can march forward.”

Harlan continued by hinting the Pac-12 has never been on anyone else’s timetable, and therefore outsiders have taken liberties in their reporting on what is going on. It reached a point, according to Harlan where he felt like he had to say something, hence, the now infamous, “Give me a break,” Tweet.

“Because we aren’t hitting certain people’s expectations of time and outside forces, people start chipping away,” Harlan said. “They start creating things like ‘Four Corners’ and whatever comes up. Whatever causes the clicks- whatever it might be. So yes. I read an article by a writer that I actually have great respect for in Dennis Dodd, but the article had a bunch of things that weren’t true.”

“I’m very pleased with where things are trending,” Harlan said. “I think we are going to wrap this thing up pretty soon. I’m excited about the updates we are getting, and we go forward. I did that because I am tired of outside forces creating narratives that involved the University of Utah and certainly our conference.”

Not a big deal really. I think I was thinking more about the ute fans on twitter and other social media (and getting it confused with the actual university) who call the big 12 truck stop schools and flyover states and stuff like that. in addition to the not taking calls and whatnot. It seems like a lot of utes think that they deserve to be treated like a blue blood program despite not playing in any CFP games and only being a few years removed from the mountain west. Talks of big10 and sec should take them instead of simply wishing those conferences would take them. There seems to be a lot of arrogance and lack of humility from the online ute presence.

Everything I hearing now is that no more teams are leaving the PAC. ASU, AZ, Utah, washington, Oregon all staying put.

Hell, now im hearing that washington and oregon are gone to the big10 and will play in the big10 in 2024.

So many rumors and so many changes so quickly. Its a **** show.

Im sticking with my original prediction that AZ, ASU, and Utah join the Big12.

Hell, now im hearing that washington and oregon are gone to the big10 and will play in the big10 in 2024.

So many rumors and so many changes so quickly. Its a **** show.

Im sticking with my original prediction that AZ, ASU, and Utah join the Big12.
Yeah Oregon staying was the last hope for the Pac-12 and on the radio yesterday I heard some optimism from a Oregon reporter. But no, it's over. Dominoes going to continue to fall and wow what mismanagement from those at the top of the pac-12.

Yeah, Utah is about to "Nope" it's buns to the Big 12 fairly soon.
They will reluctantly settle for the big12. Hopefully for them the big12 wants them (I think they do)
Big difference though between Colorado, BYU, UCF, Cincinnatti, and Houston (and to a lesser extent, AZ) who were all excited to join the big12. Maybe the big12 be like "you didn't want to come and only want to now because of lack of other options so, no thanks. We good at 14 teams." Or maybe they take Utah and ASU but those 2 have to take a lesser share of the money the first few years.

They will reluctantly settle for the big12. Hopefully for them the big12 wants them (I think they do)
Big difference though between Colorado, BYU, UCF, Cincinnatti, and Houston (and to a lesser extent, AZ) who were all excited to join the big12. Maybe the big12 be like "you didn't want to come and only want to now because of lack of other options so, no thanks. We good at 14 teams." Or maybe they take Utah and ASU but those 2 have to take a lesser share of the money the first few years.
Not sure what about Harlan's comments were bad, but you do you I guess. And No, Utah won't accept a gradualized revenue stream to join the Big 12.

Not sure what about Harlan's comments were bad, but you do you I guess. And No, Utah won't accept a gradualized revenue stream to join the Big 12.
Just google it. If you think I'm the only one who thinks his tweet was bad then you will discover how wrong you are.
Just listening to the radio today they were talking about how bad that tweet has aged.

Also the quote of mine you quoted had no mention of Mark Harlan or any quote/tweet or whatever.

I was simply saying that other teams to recently join the big 12 have been excited to make that move. Utah on the other hand is basically being forced to make the move and that is a difference that maybe would rub the other teams in the big12 the wrong way.
One other consideration is that Brett Yormark (big12 commissioner) made a list of what he was looking for in conference adds. One of the things on the list was a good basketball program as he is hoping the big12 is going to be the SEC of college basketball and he believes that there is untapped market potential financially in college basketball and wants to invest in that.
"We had a great discussion about expansion, and we have a plan," said Yormark, who was joined on the call by Texas Tech president Lawrence Schovanec. "As I've said all along, we have an appetite to be a national conference in our makeup from coast to coast, and we do believe in the upside of basketball moving forward as a collective group.

"That being said, we love our current composition. We love the four new schools that are coming in next month. However, if the opportunity presents itself to create value, we will pursue it"
"We're going to consider all options," he said. "We do see the upside in basketball moving forward for all right reasons.

"We think it's undervalued and there's a chance for us to double down as the No. 1 basketball conference in America.

"It's all strategic here," he said. "And at the top is the academic alignment and the leadership, and the cultural fit and the geography and the athletic performance and the upside that a potential institution has as they would potentially join the Big 12.

I have also said, many times, that I think Utah will be invited into the big 12. I think their recent success in football combined with a already having a great rivalry game and travel partner currently residing in the conference will be enough.

Also I think it helps byu in the long run as a Utah addition makes the conference stronger as a whole.

As for taking a lesser share of revenue that wasn't my idea. I have seen that floated in the media (ASU as well). Maybe you think they would prefer to go to the mountain west for even less money. I don't think they are THAT prideful but maybe you are right.
(Personally I think they will be in the big 12 with a full revenue share)

Last edited:
Not really news as I think everyone expects this but AZ is supposed to announce their move to the big12 tommorow. I expect utah and ASU to announce next week.

Just google it. If you think I'm the only one who thinks his tweet was bad then you will discover how wrong you are.
Just listening to the radio today they were talking about how bad that tweet has aged.

Also the quote of mine you quoted had no mention of Mark Harlan or any quote/tweet or whatever.

I was simply saying that other teams to recently join the big 12 have been excited to make that move. Utah on the other hand is basically being forced to make the move and that is a difference that maybe would rub the other teams in the big12 the wrong way.
One other consideration is that Brett Yormark (big12 commissioner) made a list of what he was looking for in conference adds. One of the things on the list was a good basketball program as he is hoping the big12 is going to be the SEC of college basketball and he believes that there is untapped market potential financially in college basketball and wants to invest in that.
"We had a great discussion about expansion, and we have a plan," said Yormark, who was joined on the call by Texas Tech president Lawrence Schovanec. "As I've said all along, we have an appetite to be a national conference in our makeup from coast to coast, and we do believe in the upside of basketball moving forward as a collective group.

"That being said, we love our current composition. We love the four new schools that are coming in next month. However, if the opportunity presents itself to create value, we will pursue it"
"We're going to consider all options," he said. "We do see the upside in basketball moving forward for all right reasons.

"We think it's undervalued and there's a chance for us to double down as the No. 1 basketball conference in America.

"It's all strategic here," he said. "And at the top is the academic alignment and the leadership, and the cultural fit and the geography and the athletic performance and the upside that a potential institution has as they would potentially join the Big 12.

I have also said, many times, that I think Utah will be invited into the big 12. I think their recent success in football combined with a already having a great rivalry game and travel partner currently residing in the conference will be enough.

Also I think it helps byu in the long run as a Utah addition makes the conference stronger as a whole.

As for taking a lesser share of revenue that wasn't my idea. I have seen that floated in the media (ASU as well). Maybe you think they would prefer to go to the mountain west for even less money. I don't think they are THAT prideful but maybe you are right.
(Personally I think they will be in the big 12 with a full revenue share)
Give me a break.

Just read that ASU and Utah have applied for membership to the big 12 as expected.
I expect those applications to be accepted.

I'm hearing Oregon State and Washington State might be coming to the big 12 as well. I didn't see that coming.

If I were them, I’d be on my knees begging.
Scott mitchell was on the radio on my way home and he said (plug your ears SOW) that they might only get partial shares of revenue.
Don't shoot the messenger. Scott Mitchell said it not me

Last edited: