What's new

Comparable rookie years to Keyonte's. (I thought I had linked just the PER 36 min section of each player) Just look at the rookie year Per 36 min

Now we need infections combo player machine. Rookie Exum's defense and Rookie Keyonte's offense.

Although I think Keyonte's defense is improving and will make a jump when he gets some actual strength.

If he can get that fg% over 40 and 3fg% over 35, suddenly it doesn't look as disastrous anymore. And with the way he's been playing that should be well possible.
It never looked disastrous. Eyeball test always claimed and still does that he will be a good shooter. "How good" remains to be seen, but I think its already fair to say that the reactions to his sluggish start were overreactions.

It's 2024, fg% is pretty much irrelevant. Keyonte's 3FG volume and FTr look really good. His 3FG% is decent, I think he will get there. One big improvement he will have to make on offense is that while he gets to the line, he does not get a lot of shots at the rim and heavily prefers his floaters. 8.5% of his shots are at the rim compared to 22.5% from floater range. Evening that out would do wonders for his efficiency and I think it will require both physical and mental maturity.

Preemptive apology to anyone who is in exploration mode and gets butthurt by that last suggestion.

I want 41.0%/36.0%
I counted that if he holds the same volume and pace from last 15 games and plays all remaining 26 games, he will end up at 40.7%/36.8%.

Its fair to assume the volume is gonna be higher though so the FG% could be higher in the end, but on the other hand his 3P% from last 15 may also be higher than its gonna be for the next 26 (as its 40.5% in that stretch).

It's 2024, fg% is pretty much irrelevant. Keyonte's 3FG volume and FTr look really good. His 3FG% is decent, I think he will get there. One big improvement he will have to make on offense is that while he gets to the line, he does not get a lot of shots at the rim and heavily prefers his floaters. 8.5% of his shots are at the rim compared to 22.5% from floater range. Evening that out would do wonders for his efficiency and I think it will require both physical and mental maturity.
Exactly this. I'm surprised by the FG%-focused posts in this thread.

Year 1 TS% comparison:
Keyonte: .541 (and trending up)
Damian Lillard: .546
Donovan Mitchell: .541
Devin Booker: .535
Tyrese Maxey: .531
Dwyane Wade: .530
Jamal Murray: .518
Dante Exum: .457

There's plenty to work on, but the year 1 overall shooting numbers (and trend) for a player his age and size are not bad.

Last edited:

Year 1 TS% comparison:

There's plenty to work on, but the year 1 overall shooting numbers (and trend) for a player his age and size are not bad.
Another guy I looked at was D'Angelo Russell. I have been thinking that a Dlo + with a better mental approach was kinda a good outcome. Key was quite a bit more efficient and shows a knack for getting to the line that I think has hurt Russell... Its good the shot making has improved. I thought it would but there were some stretches where I really started to wonder.

Year 1 TS% comparison:

This is actually a very nice list.

I wonder how high % those guys shot off the dribble compared to Key? I dont know if someone knows where that can be easily found. May need to scan through their rookie year shooting splits to see assist rates at some point..

Year 1 TS% comparison:

It's also good to keep in mind that efficiency has gone way up over time. A quick peak and Keyonte is actually only ahead of Dante in terms of relative TS%.

Also, not everyone improves at the same rate, so comparing rookie years can be somewhat dubious. A couple guys that come to mind who had disastrous rookie years are Fox and Garland. I'm sure there are others who had good rookie years and failed to develop a ton afterwards. I think the key questions (no pun intended) for George are his defense (it will probably never be good, but can he not be one of the worst in the league), his three point shooting (I think he will actually see a sizable jump here), and his finishing around the basket (will take physical+mental maturity, tbd).

Key has a good stroke and the ball is almost always on line, often misses are back rim. This is a good sign. I think he will be a good 3 pt shooter in the NBA for years to come. He needs to tighten his defense, handle and improve some decision making, but he is looking good for a young rookie.

Hopefully he puts in the work in the offseason. He seems like he has the attitude to want to improve. Excited to see his progress the rest of the season+.