What's new

Computers

VINYLONE

Bringin' the diversity!
Contributor
So just got around to completing one of my projects.

I built a Hackintosh.

Any other computer nerds here on the board?

yes! I am dual booting my hackintosh with windows 7. I'm running an hp dv7 and somethings do not work with the hack, but I can live with that, plus I can always boot into win 7. I also have a vms running on my hack for ie7, ie8 and firefox on windows.

yes! I am dual booting my hackintosh with windows 7. I'm running an hp dv7 and somethings do not work with the hack, but I can live with that, plus I can always boot into win 7. I also have a vms running on my hack for ie7, ie8 and firefox on windows.

What installation version did you use? For the OS X installation?

So I guess I'm a washed up old nerd. What's a hackintosh?

I put together a hackintosh using an old abit ip35 pro. I used the EP45UD3P Snow Leopard package to do the install. I have since disassembled the machine but it was fun while it lasted. I was quad booting my dell XPS m1330 with Windows 7, Ubuntu, OSX, and windows XP just to see if I could get it all to work also a fun project but not something that I actually used too much. The best part about building a hackintosh was having a "MAC" for under $150 in parts.

I think he is trying to Say that PCs suck and proprietary Mac stuff sucks and now you are bringing it all together.

Well "PC" parts is what is used in all builds. I wasn't referring to the OS.

Building a hackintosh has gotten so easy, it's almost a no brainer. The Cartri Bios project has put these types of builds at the forefront of DIY computing.

I build my own for use at home. I've done some computer repair, but I'm a software guy. When I build a computer I usually go for the cheapest, most efficient stuff. Not into all of that flashy **** that people whack off over, but offers barely any advantage. Lots of doofuses are into computers and think the latest parts with the highest numbers are always the things to buy, and they waste their money on them. Kind of like people who watch movies just for the explosions. Viny's probably one of these people. Hack.

I've always used really old computers and parts to do what I need to do. My work laptop that I use 6-8 hours a day and make my living off of is a single-core, 1.8 Ghz dinosaur. Still runs great, though. I just barely upgraded my desktop to run Windows 7, after using a desktop that was on par with the speed of my laptop for about 5 years.

Never got into Macs though. Kind of always felt like they were the oxy-moron of computers. More expensive, better written OS, but less support and not the standard. They're also horribly gimmicky.. I'm not sure I'd feel okay owning one and contributing my money to their trendy advertising campaigns.

I bought the retail version of Snow Leopard and used the mammoth install guide with the iboot+easy beast cd.

I just re-did my install last night using the Cartri Bios method. Incredible work that guys done. Incredible.