What's new

Computers

I don't get it. What's the upside of building your own computer other than personal satisfaction? Is it cheaper?

Well, I like projects and stuff. Keeps me busy. DIY is pretty cool.

That said, the Hackintosh I built is about 700 bucks total. That equivalent Mac is about 2k.

Boom goes the dynamite.

****. How did you see it? it's not playing, even in limited release, out here?

Oh. Academy screener. When you're in one of the industry unions, like MPEG, DGA, WGA, etc. you get invited to all of these new movie screeners. I think a lot of times people from the Academy go to these things...basically the people that vote for the Oscars and stuff.

Movie was so good, there was clapping afterwards. Which is rare...at least in my experience. When is it supposed to be released?

Like Im seeing that Social network movie...whatever its called.

Anyway, its a perk...for sure.

Oh. Academy screener. When you're in one of the industry unions, like MPEG, DGA, WGA, etc. you get invited to all of these new movie screeners. I think a lot of times people from the Academy go to these things...basically the people that vote for the Oscars and stuff.

Movie was so good, there was clapping afterwards. Which is rare...at least in my experience. When is it supposed to be released?

Like Im seeing that Social network movie...whatever its called.

Anyway, its a perk...for sure.

When are you seeing The Social Network? I've seen it twice. Awesome!

I don't get it. What's the upside of building your own computer other than personal satisfaction? Is it cheaper?

Not to mention, it's also much easier to apply upgrades if you keep a handle on the parts you buy and install. I've put about $1200 into my desktop setup over the past 7 or so years. Currently running a triple-core, 3GB machine that will last and run very well for at least the next 3-5 years. Building a computer yourself is always cheaper, unless you buy a bunch of shiny, unnecessary crap. So, $1200 for 10 years' worth of a good computer, including external hard drives, new monitors, capture cards.. can't argue with that.

I'm having issues with my install, probably because this is an HP laptop and not everything currently in it is supported. I can't get my video camera to work, or most of the left side ports on the laptop, eg, usb, hdmi. I also have a recording interface that doesn't work in OSX on this hack, but works on a real apple. So it's a work in progress. If I could get the recording interface to work, I would probably only use Windows 7 for web dev browser testing.
I just re-did my install last night using the Cartri Bios method. Incredible work that guys done. Incredible.

Yeah, I hear that multibeast application is the bees kness. What I didnt like about the iBoot was the theme with that apple...