What's new

Controversy in Provo/This guy doesn't care much for BYU (merged)

The Thriller

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/50476028-88/replay-source-mwc-booth.html.csp

A source who has intimate knowledge of what goes on in replay booths at Mountain West Conference stadiums says head replay official Mike Angelis of Reno, Nev., is entirely responsible for botching a critical replay review in BYU’s 24-21 win against San Diego State last Saturday.

Furthermore, the source says the MWC is throwing the two other replay staffers in the booth that day — including BYU employee Chad Bunn — “under the bus” by suspending them along with Angelis for a game and unfairly allowing blame to be cast on them although they were acting only in supporting roles that day.

“At the end of the day, it is the head replay official, a real paid referee, who makes the call,” said the source. “Bottom line is the referee [Angelis] blew the call.”

Anyone else heard about this on the radio? So I guess some people are trying to say that a BYU employee had influence on the call? Weird....

And right now, sports radio stations in Utah are blasting what this guy said:

https://619sports.blogspot.com/2009/02/chris-ellos-opening-shotthursday-feb.html

PROVO, Utah -- If you thought it was tough to take SDSU's loss to BYU on Tuesday night, imagine what I had to deal with....At least you got to wake up in San Diego the next morning.

I had to wake up here, amongst the celebrating Mormons.....the headlines in the morning newspaper saluting the virtues of Jimmer.....walking around town in my San Diego State gear, looking for a place to hide.

There's no place I'd rather not be.

Provo, Utah....where it's still tough to find a beer or light up a smoke....where a cup of coffee in the morning is a hassle, and a Diet Coke is like pulling teeth.

A place where the woman's place is still the home, like it was in the rest of America in the 40's....A place where blacks still must feel out-of-place....A place where's there's no place at all for gays or lesbians.

A place where the Mormon church rules, and BYU athletes sneak around campus trying to bend the rules....A place where you're free to do as you please, as long as what you do pleases them.

Walking around the downtown area of Provo on Wednesday afternoon, I felt as close as I could ever feel what it must have been like for blacks to walk around Birmingham in the 60's.

Unwanted. Uneasy.

In this day and age -- unreal.

Wow.

Apparently he must have missed the 7/11, Maverick, Wills Pit Stop, and various other convenience stores on University Ave. They all sell Diet Coke, coffee, and beer. In fact, where in Provo can't you find those products?

"I hate BYU, I hate everything they stand for. ... they have no honor at that university"

Was Max Hall reincarnated as a San Diego State broadcaster? ;-)

OK, now my serious comments in response. I'm calling B.S. on the claim that BYU players routinely say "racial comments which would get people arrested in most parts of the world, or at least the crap beat out of them." He has no direct knowledge of this, he's relying on "dozens of San Diego State players". Yeah, right. If those players want to make first-hand claims, then by all means let them. But this guy should not say stuff like that over which he has no knowledge. That is rumor-mongering at its worst.

My own comment, coming from someone that spent 4 years at BYU as a student and the last 3 years as a faculty member, is that there is no way it would be tolerated. Not from the coaches, but more importantly not from the other players. In my seven years here, I've never heard a single racial epithet. Not a single one. If I had ever used one as a student, it would have been regarded as completely non-cool by my fellow students (at best), and I would have been a social pariah. Now it's quite possible that the football team is rougher than the elements of BYU "society" that I hang/hung out with, but I still find it impossible to believe this guy's rumors. Could there have been a single individual or two, over the course of ten years? Sure. But there's no way a large segment of the team could have been involved. At least, that's my opinion.

As for the BYU videographer, to me it seems like he's completely being thrown under the bus. See this article:
https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars/50476028-88/replay-byu-booth-field.html.csp
A source who has intimate knowledge of what goes on in replay booths at Mountain West Conference stadiums says head replay official Mike Angelis of Reno, Nev., is entirely responsible for botching a critical replay review in BYU’s 24-21 win against San Diego State last Saturday
The source said the MWC flies in a replay official for every game. The technician and the communicator are always locals, as is the “sideline assistant,” who acts as a liaison with the on-field officials
The Salt Lake Tribune’s source said he knows of at least three MWC schools that use employees and/or graduates in the replay booth. Another source put that number at five or six.
“Both guys in that booth knew there was going to be a problem the minute that ruling on the field [was upheld],” the source said. “And they are both just sick about it. … If they did anything wrong, it is that they didn’t protest enough.”

These topics are totally unrelated and should be in seperate threads. Anyway...

#1: That guy is just a bigot. A mormon hating jackass. Nobody hates BYU more than me, and even I find what he wrote offensive. He has no business getting any attention in mainstream media for any reason other than to get ridiculed for being a moron.

#2: BYU having an employee in the replay booth is totally unacceptable. They can spin it all they want about him only having a supporting role, but he still should not have been there. I'm sure he didn't just sit there silently the whole time. If he didn't matter, then why have him there at all? If Utah played BYU at Utah, and Utah won the game after a controversial botched call (and replay) lead to the game winning touchdown (when it should have been an obvious fumble), and then later it was leaked that at least one of the guys in the replay booth was a Utah graduate and current employee of the Utah athletic department, BYU fans would be up in arms. I wonder if this guy was involved in any of those controversial calls in the last 2 Utah/BYU games in Provo? And the fact that they won't release any info about the 3rd guy in the replay booth is interesting, to say the least.

It's funny when people outside the state justify their hate for Jazz/BYU fans by pulling the "they use the N-word" or "I've heard they use the N-word" card. I have to think that if it is going on, there would be punches thrown over it. It just feels like a desperate grasp at justification.

I have NEVER heard the "N-word" used by a fan at a Jazz game. I've heard plenty of "inappropriate" comments, but nothing racial. I can't comment on BYU fans in Provo.

Then again, it was a fumble.

#2: BYU having an employee in the replay booth is totally unacceptable. They can spin it all they want about him only having a supporting role, but he still should not have been there. I'm sure he didn't just sit there silently the whole time. If he didn't matter, then why have him there at all? If Utah played BYU at Utah, and Utah won the game after a controversial botched call (and replay) lead to the game winning touchdown (when it should have been an obvious fumble), and then later it was leaked that at least one of the guys in the replay booth was a Utah graduate and current employee of the Utah athletic department, BYU fans would be up in arms. I wonder if this guy was involved in any of those controversial calls in the last 2 Utah/BYU games in Provo? And the fact that they won't release any info about the 3rd guy in the replay booth is interesting, to say the least.

I think you misunderstand the role of the two people in the replay booth. Neither has any say on the call. One is there for technical support the other for simply communicating with the field. It is the head official down on the field that the MWC flew in to referee the game that bothced the call. IIt's probably a safe bet that Utah has used employees or grad students in their booth before as well.

I think you misunderstand the role of the two people in the replay booth. Neither has any say on the call. One is there for technical support the other for simply communicating with the field. It is the head official down on the field that the MWC flew in to referee the game that bothced the call. IIt's probably a safe bet that Utah has used employees or grad students in their booth before as well.
Utah has already confirmed that they don't use employees in the replay booth. If you are on the school's payroll, you are not an unbiased observer.

The Pac 10 flies in the head replay official, and the replay communicator.

While these people don't have the final word on the call, they do discuss their opinion with the official. And they do influence the head official's call. If they were not relevant or important, they wouldn't be there in the first place.

I doubt the BYU employee had anything to do with the missed call, but it looks bad.

I doubt the BYU employee had anything to do with the missed call, but it looks bad.

Well he for sure had something to do with it. It may not have been his final decision, but he was in the booth when it happened.

I know if I was relying on someone to tell me which car was the best, and they told me to get a Ford, and then I found out that they were getting their info from someone who has worked at Ford for the last 21 years, I would think it was biased. Even if the Ford employee was not the one giving me the final recommendation, and the guy who gave me the final recommendation actually made the decision as to which car to recommend, it is still probably going to be a biased recommendation.

Remember when the Utah bball player was accused of using the n word and it turned out it was totally made up? I've seen it at the high school level, too (even with refs). And one thing the accusers almost always have in common is this . . . they lost.

Well he for sure had something to do with it. It may not have been his final decision, but he was in the booth when it happened.

I know if I was relying on someone to tell me which car was the best, and they told me to get a Ford, and then I found out that they were getting their info from someone who has worked at Ford for the last 21 years, I would think it was biased. Even if the Ford employee was not the one giving me the final recommendation, and the guy who gave me the final recommendation actually made the decision as to which car to recommend, it is still probably going to be a biased recommendation.

Do you actually have any knowledge of the guys role in the replay booth? How do you know he wasn't there simply to provide technical assistance? He's a VIDEOGRAPHER. Not a replay official. From that definition alone, it sounds to me as if he's there to run the equipment. But then again, I'm a BYU fan, so clearly I'm biased.

Do you actually have any knowledge of the guys role in the replay booth? How do you know he wasn't there simply to provide technical assistance? He's a VIDEOGRAPHER. Not a replay official. From that definition alone, it sounds to me as if he's there to run the equipment. But then again, I'm a BYU fan, so clearly I'm biased.

Well the videographer is in charge of providing the best angle to the replay official. I would say that is a pretty important job that absolutely plays a role in the final decision. How do you know this guy provided the angle that we have all seen, which shows it was clearly a fumble? But what do I know, I'm just a Utah fan who has seen BYU get plenty of questionable calls every time the Utes play in Provo.

How do you know this guy provided the angle that we have all seen, which shows it was clearly a fumble?
How do you know he didn't?
I'll put this quote the OP provided from the SL Trib:
"A source who has intimate knowledge of what goes on in replay booths at Mountain West Conference stadiums says head replay official Mike Angelis of Reno, Nev., is entirely responsible for botching a critical replay review in BYU’s 24-21 win against San Diego State last Saturday.

Furthermore, the source says the MWC is throwing the two other replay staffers in the booth that day — including BYU employee Chad Bunn — “under the bus” by suspending them along with Angelis for a game and unfairly allowing blame to be cast on them although they were acting only in supporting roles that day.

“At the end of the day, it is the head replay official, a real paid referee, who makes the call,” said the source. “Bottom line is the referee [Angelis] blew the call.”
So, from what you're saying, someone who has "intimate knowledge of what goes on in replay booths" would know less about it than you do? But then again, the SL Trib is clearly biased.
But what do I know, I'm just a Utah fan who has seen BYU get plenty of questionable calls every time the Utes play in Provo.
Still hung up on that, huh? It's not like Utah has never received a questionable call at home, either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a wise move to have a University employee having anything to do with officiating or replays in any way, shape, or form. But to say that because he was there he obviously had some influence in the decision is just asinine.

But what do I know,

You should have stopped here.

I'm just a Utah fan who has seen BYU get plenty of questionable calls every time the Utes play in Provo.

Ahhhh, this explains why Utah can't seem to beat BYU 3 of the past 4 games as Utah has clearly been better. It's the damn videographer!!