What's new

Controversy in Provo/This guy doesn't care much for BYU (merged)

It was an awful call, it didn't make any sense. You can understand sometimes because the play/camera angles might be a little iffy, but that was really one of the clearest cut reviews you can see. But, of course, the problem with people even bringing it up post game is that they are assuming that the game would have played out the exact same way. That happened with a couple of minutes at the end of the 3rd with BYU leading 17-14.

How do you know he didn't?
I'll put this quote the OP provided from the SL Trib:

So, from what you're saying, someone who has "intimate knowledge of what goes on in replay booths" would know less about it than you do? But then again, the SL Trib is clearly biased.

Still hung up on that, huh? It's not like Utah has never received a questionable call at home, either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a wise move to have a University employee having anything to do with officiating or replays in any way, shape, or form. But to say that because he was there he obviously had some influence in the decision is just asinine.
Everything you posted simply said it was not this guy's final decision. We know that. But we also know the guy making the final decision is depending on this guy to be unbiased in order to get a proper decision. Like I said, if Consumer Reports based their best car recommendations on info they got from a Ford employee, the report would be biased. Even if the Ford employee was not the one who made the final recommendation, it would still be a biased report.

And this "source" was not in the replay booth, so they don't know if this guy provided all the replay angles or not. All the "source" is saying is it wasn't the videographer's final decision. But the videographer absolutely plays a role in the final decision, whether BYU fans want to admit it or not. The final decision is almost entirely based on the videographer's video feed.

So if the final decision is based almost entirely on the videographer's video feed, and we see a blatantly blown call that replays clearly showed was blown, it does make you wonder what feed the replay official was looking at. And when the videographer gets suspended after an investigation, I think that says a lot. The fact that he was a current BYU employee (for the past 21 years) only makes it worse.

What this guy said was unwarranted. There are blacks walking all over the place in Provo. And we love gays and lesbians -- we just don't want them to fall in love. Or do anything that shows they might be gay. But we LOVE them.

It's totally easy to find coffee there, I mean, there is a starbucks on a road somewhere. And then some gas stations have high quality beans. Anyway, this doesn't matter, the guy shouldn't be drinking coffee anyway, it's bad for him. If he wants to be gay while holding a frappucino, he should move to Sodom and Gomorrah.

-Craig

And this "source" was not in the replay booth, so they don't know if this guy provided all the replay angles or not. All the "source" is saying is it wasn't the videographer's final decision. But the videographer absolutely plays a role in the final decision, whether BYU fans want to admit it or not. The final decision is almost entirely based on the videographer's video feed.

Do you really not think that part of the investigation was to make sure the ref had seen every possible angle including the shot which showed the fumble? At the very least, this ref has been called out for doing a poor job. Do you really think the ref would't step forward and let someone know that he hadn't seen it?

Salty Dawg said:
You're right Salty. (I'll just say that since that's the only thing you really want to hear.)
The videographer plays a role. He has to provide the videos. We don't know if he provided all the angles. But the part you're missing is that we DON'T KNOW. You'll notice there is no quote from the head replay official saying "I didn't get an opportunity to see that angle." If I were in that situation, and I hadn't seen that angle, I would be making a big *** deal about that fact. Based on his lack of response, I'll assume he saw it.

Salty Dawg said:
So if the final decision is based almost entirely on the videographer's video feed, and we see a blatantly blown call that replays clearly showed was blown, it does make you wonder what feed the replay official was looking at. And when the videographer gets suspended after an investigation, I think that says a lot. The fact that he was a current BYU employee (for the past 21 years) only makes it worse.
Does it look bad that the guy is a BYU employee? Yes. Do you hate everything associated with BYU? Yes. Are you biased against BYU? Yes. Will you ever change your opinion relating to anything about BYU? No.

I was watching a good football team blow out Iowa State so I didn't watch the BYU game and have only seen the replay of the fumble on youtube. What happened after the call was made and BYU kept the ball?

I was watching a good football team blow out Iowa State so I didn't watch the BYU game and have only seen the replay of the fumble on youtube. What happened after the call was made and BYU kept the ball?

BYU never lost the lead.

Do you really not think that part of the investigation was to make sure the ref had seen every possible angle including the shot which showed the fumble? At the very least, this ref has been called out for doing a poor job. Do you really think the ref would't step forward and let someone know that he hadn't seen it?
we haven't got any quotes from the official because the MWC instructed all parties involved to keep quiet about it. We don't have any quotes from the videographer either. And you can bet if I was the videographer, I would be shouting to the world that I had shown all the angles and done my job, but been suspended for no reason.

You're right Salty. (I'll just say that since that's the only thing you really want to hear.)
The videographer plays a role. He has to provide the videos. We don't know if he provided all the angles. But the part you're missing is that we DON'T KNOW. You'll notice there is no quote from the head replay official saying "I didn't get an opportunity to see that angle." If I were in that situation, and I hadn't seen that angle, I would be making a big *** deal about that fact. Based on his lack of response, I'll assume he saw it.

Does it look bad that the guy is a BYU employee? Yes. Do you hate everything associated with BYU? Yes. Are you biased against BYU? Yes. Will you ever change your opinion relating to anything about BYU? No.
As I said to Marcus- we don't have any quotes because the MWC ordered all parties to be silent. We could also make the argument that the videographer has not come out and said he provided all the video feeds. All we know is the MWC investigated, and they found sufficient grounds to suspend him. Given that fact, I have to assume he did something wrong.

And yes, you know I'm a Utah fan. Would you feel comfortable if I was in the replay booth at a Utah/BYU game at RES? What if I was only the videographer? What if I was the videographer on a crucial blown call and replay that lead to Utah scoring the game winning touchdown? I'm pretty sure you'd be up in arms, and rightfully so.

I was also watching the Utah game, and had no idea about any of this until it hit the news. But from what I have read, after the blown call, 5 plays later BYU scored the game winning touchdown.

And yes, you know I'm a Utah fan. Would you feel comfortable if I was in the replay booth at a Utah/BYU game at RES? What if I was only the videographer? What if I was the videographer on a crucial blown call and replay that lead to Utah scoring the game winning touchdown? I'm pretty sure you'd be up in arms, and rightfully so.
I'm not a completely psychotic conspiracy theorist, so yes, I would feel comfortable with you up there.

How is it a game winning touchdown when BYU was already in the lead? Who is to say SDSU even scores after that if the call had been correct?

I'm not a completely psychotic conspiracy theorist, so yes, I would feel comfortable with you up there.
lol, I don't buy that for a second. And even if it's true, you would be in the minority. Most BYU fans would be livid if they found out I was the videographer during a blown call and replay against BYU in RES.

How is it a game winning touchdown when BYU was already in the lead? Who is to say SDSU even scores after that if the call had been correct?
Because that score iced the game for BYU. Baseball has a game winning RBI also, it's just how it works.

If BYU turns it over right there instead of scoring a touchdown, then SDSU gets the ball down by 3. A fg ties it, a touchdown gives them the lead. SDSU did end up scoring a touchdown the next time they got the ball, but that doesn't even matter. They would have only needed a fg.

Needing 2 scores in the 4th quarter is a lot different than only needing a fg.

lol, I don't buy that for a second. And even if it's true, you would be in the minority. Most BYU fans would be livid if they found out I was the videographer during a blown call and replay against BYU in RES.

That's only because we know that you are the homerest of the homers. I'd have no problem with a Utah educated videographer running the technical support for the replay booth.

That's only because we know that you are the homerest of the homers. I'd have no problem with a Utah educated videographer running the technical support for the replay booth.

This wasn't just a "BYU educated videographer running the technical support for the replay booth."

This was a BYU educated videographer, yes. But he was also on the payroll of the BYU athletic department for the last 21 years. You can't tell me that someone who went to BYU during the 1984 championship season, graduated from BYU, and has worked for the BYU athletic department ever since, isn't a BYU fan.

And he wasn't just doing tech support. He was the guy giving the video feeds to the replay official.

This wasn't just a "BYU educated videographer running the technical support for the replay booth."

This was a BYU educated videographer, yes. But he was also on the payroll of the BYU athletic department for the last 21 years. You can't tell me that someone who went to BYU during the 1984 championship season, graduated from BYU, and has worked for the BYU athletic department ever since, isn't a BYU fan.

And he wasn't just doing tech support. He was the guy giving the video feeds to the replay official.

Believe it or not people can root for another team yet be professional and perform their job honorably.

You know, there's an old adage that says you are most likely to view other people based on how you view yourself. As an example, men that constantly accuse their significant other of cheating are likely cheating themselves. You are so sure that this videographer in some way influenced the call because if you were put in the same position you would influence the call. Just saying.

The replay official is the guy responsible for the call, regardless of the input (if any) of the other 2 guys in the booth.

Believe it or not people can root for another team yet be professional and perform their job honorably.

You know, there's an old adage that says you are most likely to view other people based on how you view yourself. As an example, men that constantly accuse their significant other of cheating are likely cheating themselves. You are so sure that this videographer in some way influenced the call because if you were put in the same position you would influence the call. Just saying.

For the record, I am not denying it. I am flat out openly saying that if I attended the University of Utah during a championship football season, and when I graduated I got a job with the athletic department, and 21 years later still worked for the athletic department, I would probably not be the best choice for the replay booth. I have no problem admitting that. The ones who actually try to deny it are the ones you have to worry about.