What's new

Corbin NOT a straight shooter

sahlensguy

and we need shooters...

So after he benches Big Al he throws up this air ball:

“The young guys were playing well,” said Corbin, who is just 5-16 since taking over the team Feb. 10 after Jerry Sloan’s resignation. “They played hard. They had success. They got us back in the ballgame. I thought they deserved to be on the floor.”

Yeah, no kidding. Obviously though the glaring big steamer in the room is that the rooks have deserved floor time over Bell and Miles since Corbin took the job.

Corbin's first coach/player spat = fail.

Give the man a ****ing break.

He threw Al under the bus:

“That’s not who we are. We’re disappointed,” said Corbin, prior to the Jazz’s 100-95 overtime home loss to the Washington Wizards on Monday. “If you happen to get a tech, get the tech and get it over with. Don’t drag it out and make it look like a spectacle.”

Corbin's trying to be the moral compass that Jerry was. He fails.

and we need shooters...

So after he benches Big Al he throws up this air ball:

Yeah, no kidding. Obviously though the glaring big steamer in the room is that the rooks have deserved floor time over Bell and Miles since Corbin took the job.

Corbin's first coach/player spat = fail.

And this came after the morning paper quoted him as saying he was NOT going to play the young guys more because he had guys who wanted to compete. Inconsistent? Confused?

Okay I can follow your arguements on Ty's playing hard & playing the rookies. But piling on the guy because of what he said about Al's double technical? I thought Corbin was right on. Al can get the tecnical--fine everyone gets frustrated. But keep a little focus and compusure--there was no need to turn,go back after the ref and try to intimidate him. If anything Ty should be complimented for sending a clear message that it was not an attitude or action that he wanted on his team.

Okay I can follow your arguements on Ty's playing hard & playing the rookies. But piling on the guy because of what he said about Al's double technical? I thought Corbin was right on. Al can get the tecnical--fine everyone gets frustrated. But keep a little focus and compusure--there was no need to turn,go back after the ref and try to intimidate him. If anything Ty should be complimented for sending a clear message that it was not an attitude or action that he wanted on his team.

Sending that message in house is necessary. Corbin threw Al under the bus when he made it public.

1) Making a public statement about what Al did in a very public way is both appropriate and needed. Kudos to Ty for saying what he did

2) Ty is in a steep learning curve. Very few rookie coaches have success on their first stop. To bad for the Jazz.

3) Playing the young guys is fine.

4) The Jazz FO blew it by not backing Jerry and Phil. I would enjoy watching them rebuild without Deron and be optimistic about next year if one or both of them where still here. Not so much now.

I think Ty has handled the situation pretty considering what he has had to endure taking over for the legendary Jerry Sloan. I don't understand the criticism about keeping the rookies in the game if they were playing well. I don't know how many times I threw my hands up in disgust when Jerry would take out a unit of players when they were playing well simply because it was time to substitute.

Some Jazz fans just love to read a quote and completely make up an unreasonable conclusion because they can't get over the fact that Ty isn't Jerry. I am willing to give Ty a few years to see what he can do before I ask for his head. Ty will make mistakes and FYI Jerry made a ton of mistakes throughout the year. Jazz fans are spoiled because they haven't had to suffer through too many losing seasons since the mid
1980s. I don't really care to much about the results right now. This season is about identifying the "core" of the team and allowing those players to gain experience.

1) Making a public statement about what Al did in a very public way is both appropriate and needed. Kudos to Ty for saying what he did
Why was it needed. To humiliate Al?

2) Ty is in a steep learning curve. Very few rookie coaches have success on their first stop. To bad for the Jazz.

Yes, too bad for Jazz.

3) Playing the young guys is fine.

Not only is it fine, it's great. Ty should have been playing them all along, which makes his reason for not putting All back in pure bs.

4) The Jazz FO blew it by not backing Jerry and Phil. I would enjoy watching them rebuild without Deron and be optimistic about next year if one or both of them where still here. Not so much now.

They sure would have been better than what we have now.

I think Ty has handled the situation pretty considering what he has had to endure taking over for the legendary Jerry Sloan. I don't understand the criticism about keeping the rookies in the game if they were playing well. I don't know how many times I threw my hands up in disgust when Jerry would take out a unit of players when they were playing well simply because it was time to substitute.

Some Jazz fans just love to read a quote and completely make up an unreasonable conclusion because they can't get over the fact that Ty isn't Jerry. I am willing to give Ty a few years to see what he can do before I ask for his head. Ty will make mistakes and FYI Jerry made a ton of mistakes throughout the year. Jazz fans are spoiled because they haven't had to suffer through too many losing seasons since the mid
1980s. I don't really care to much about the results right now. This season is about identifying the "core" of the team and allowing those players to gain experience.

The criticism is that that is not what Ty has done so far. Bell and CJ have been played in favor of the rooks who have many times given the team a spark. For Ty to use this reason in this one game, shows he has no idea how to relate to a player (Al) who isn't doing what he wants.

Im confused.

So Corbin was punishing Al for getting 2 techs the other night by benching him for the 4 & OT? Then why did he bench Millsap too?

If he all of the sudden just decided to go with the rookies, why now? Why only play Favors sparingly then expect him to play the whole 4th quarter & OT without getting tired.

Al wasn't playing that bad was he? He did have about 15 rebounds in 3 quarters....

That's true. But it should not happen with his hands on the controls of the mother ship. If the Jazz had him identified as the likely HC, why not have him go somewhere else for a bit and be the HC? A college, a JC, a foreign team. This is like handing the controls of the jumbo jet over to the guy who has been watching the pilot but not handling the controls for 7 years. Maybe he can do it, maybe he can't. No one knows. And if he cannot, it is gonna get ugly. It is ugly right now.

This is again the jazz "falling in love" with one of their own who is nice and hard working rather than making a hardnosed decision about who is best for the team. They went with comfortable and loyal rather than proven. And so far he is looking every bit the rookie HC. Not just a rookie NBA HC, rookie HC at any level.

That's true. But it should not happen with his hands on the controls of the mother ship. If the Jazz had him identified as the likely HC, why not have him go somewhere else for a bit and be the HC? A college, a JC, a foreign team. This is like handing the controls of the jumbo jet over to the guy who has been watching the pilot but not handling the controls for 7 years. Maybe he can do it, maybe he can't. No one knows. And if he cannot, it is gonna get ugly. It is ugly right now.

This is again the jazz "falling in love" with one of their own who is nice and hard working rather than making a hardnosed decision about who is best for the team. They went with comfortable and loyal rather than proven. And so far he is looking every bit the rookie HC. Not just a rookie NBA HC, rookie HC at any level.

When loyalty succumbs to cronyism.

I thought he was just going with the young guys at the end to see what they could do. They flopped in OT is all. Although I think Price was in there a little to long.

Why did Corbin wait until this game to ride the rookies?
I like most fans have been wanting the same but maybe there is some reasoning to his madness. Maybe by saying he isn't just going to be throwing minutes to the rookies only to those that deserve/earned them he was just waiting for the opportunity such as last night to present itself. He saw that they played with more energy as a unit and by laying the previous ground work (talk) he can now say they earned it and giving the rookies more confidence and sense of accomplishment they wouldn't have had otherwise even in a loss.

He needs to act like a professional. On the other hand I like the fact that he hates losing. He seems the most bothered by
our 2nd half of the season than anyone on the team. Remember when Malone used to lose his cool early on in his career, and rip cords on the broadcast
table on the way to bench or lockeroom? It happens. I can see both views here.