What's new

Coronavirus

I'm okay with states giving guidance on local use of masks and prevention at county levels. States should not be accountable for larger national needs such as contact tracing and fighting for PPE.

The levels of federal government failure are deep and it's not all Donald's fault. However, like he said, when you're the boss, you're the accountable one.

So Donald Trump should have more power?

We could have had far better federal coordination, yes we could have. Instead, now the administration seems to be running a disinformation campaign. Federalism does not mean we are 50 independent nations. He could have used the Defense Production Act sooner. He did not have to downplay the virus over and over. My governor used the models used in nations like New Zealand. Other governors might have tried something similar. As far as more power, we needed a better response at the federal level, he could have exercised the power he already had.

Here is what a good job looks like, up to this point. And, if needed, she will shut down our Atlantic beaches again. She learned early she could not count on help from Trump, so she took charge. A Rhodes scholar, one smart woman. What did the Republican kiss-up-to-Trump governor of Florida do? He stood on the White House lawn and screamed at reporters for having suggested that his do-nothing strategy would hurt Florida. He carried on yelling at reporters like some kind of big shot. But, he’s nothing but a punk, just like the clown he supports....

“So how did Rhode Island do it? The short answer is Raimondo copied the playbook of nations like South Korea and New Zealand that have fared much better than the United States in battling the virus—intensive testing, tracing and isolation plus wear-your-damn-mask policy and messaging—while adding innovative twists through uniquely American public-private partnerships. It doesn’t hurt that Rhode Island is home to drugstore giant CVS, which is also the state’s largest employer; in part through help from the company, more than 25 percent of Rhode Islanders have been tested, many of them barbers, grocery clerks and other public-facing workers with no symptoms. She persuaded Salesforce to develop a state-of-the-art contact tracing app for Rhode Island for free, while working with Infosys on a location tracking feature and SurveyMonkey on symptom monitoring. Brown University has provided dorms for health care workers who want to remain isolated from their families. Raimondo was also one of the first governors to shut down schools and businesses, ban large businesses and require masks.”

Last edited:
I'm okay with states giving guidance on local use of masks and prevention at county levels. States should not be accountable for larger national needs such as contact tracing and fighting for PPE.

The levels of federal government failure are deep and it's not all Donald's fault. However, like he said, when you're the boss, you're the accountable one.

His level of influence is significant. Imagine if he had told his supporters to take this seriously, wear masks, have patience through social distancing, called for financial assistance to workers and businesses, and let experts like Fauci inform the public (rather than hold those disastrous self-aggrandizing rallies where he suggested people inject Lysol).

His level of influence is significant. Imagine if he had told his supporters to take this seriously, wear masks, have patience through social distancing, called for financial assistance to workers and businesses, and let experts like Fauci inform the public (rather than hold those disastrous self-aggrandizing rallies where he suggested people inject Lysol).
This.
Trump gonna trump though

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

“Sometimes, when I’m particularly discouraged about how the U.S. is losing the battle against the coronavirus, I daydream about how much better off we’d be if Gina Raimondo, the hard-charging two-term governor of Rhode Island, were the one leading the nation’s response to the pandemic instead of Mike Pence. She has wrestled Covid-19 to the ground in her state and demonstrated ideas and resolve that could help guide the rest of the country in moving forward.”

“The coronavirus crisis wasn’t exactly something Raimondo — or any other governor — planned for. But it very much played to her strengths. She believes that you gather good information wherever you can find it; “not invented here” is not in her vocabulary. Thus she studied countries such as South Korea and New Zealand, which had early successes against the coronavirus, and adopted their strategies.

“I had this moment of clarity very early on, at 2 a.m. when I was working in my home alone,” she told Politico last week. “There’s no way you can outrun this thing. You have to stay a step ahead. That’s when we said we need aggressive testing, very aggressive contact tracing and social distancing. We came to the realization earlier than some other places, because it seemed like the only way to keep a lid on the virus”.

Then she would have — and these are her words, describing what the president should have done — “immediately gotten CEOs into the Oval Office early in the year, and used the Defense Production Act to mobilize all the best of what America has to offer — innovation, testing, PPE, medical products.” But with the White House missing in action, she had to figure out how to mobilize with the resources available to her”.

Last edited:
Trump wouldn’t do this to suppress the truth if it doesn’t suit him, would he? Lol, just kidding. Of course he would. It’s his MO. Reshape reality until it suits him. Go over his entire time in office. Has he not spent most days reshaping reality to suit himself? At some point nearly every single day? In tweet after tweet?

Come November, we vote to restore reality.

Last edited:
Trump wouldn’t do this to suppress the truth if it doesn’t suit him, would he? Lol, just kidding. Of course he would. It’s his MO. Reshape reality until it suits him. Go over his entire time in office. Has he not spent most days reshaping reality to suit himself? At some point nearly every single day? In tweet after tweet?

Come November, we vote to restore reality.

So this happened in Provo, yesterday.

Fantastic:

For whatever reason, Utah County hasn't really been hit yet. I am surprised that things aren't growing down there more quickly.
Found this - a great site (thanks utah.gov for providing great info) that shows case growth and numbers in individual counties in Utah.

I found this interesting.

Health department officials also clarified Wednesday that the COVID-19 deaths reported each day may not be individuals who died in the last 24 hours. Tuesday, the department reported 10 deaths, the highest number of deaths reported in any single day since the pandemic began. However, three of the deaths reported Tuesday were from previous weeks or months.

Deaths reported by the health department typically occurred two to seven days before the department reports them, the health department said in an email. Occasionally, some deaths may have occurred more than two to seven days before they are reported, usually when a Utah resident has died in another state.

So if I am reading this correctly the daily death totals are not true daily deaths. Most are deaths that happened sometime in the past week. Some months ago. And is Utah really crediting a death to the state's numbers if a Utah resident dies out of state?

I found this interesting.

So if I am reading this correctly the daily death totals are not true daily deaths. Most are deaths that happened sometime in the past week. Some months ago. And is Utah really crediting a death to the state's numbers if a Utah resident dies out of state?
Correct, the deaths reported for the day don't necessarily mean that specific day. And, yes, a number of states are reporting out-of-state deaths in their totals. The CDC later will publish deaths by date and a good person to follow regarding that on twitter is @kylelamb8 (that's a clickable link to his profile). He's part of the Locked-on Network and with sports absent, has moved to statistical breakdown of COVID. He often will report graphs regarding the true curves of death by date, as released by the CDC. The most recent elevations have come from backlogs withing the past couple months. Of course, it's hard to tell for certain what an underlying trend is because, obviously, deaths that may be happening today can also be backlogged into future dates. But as more time goes on, the more the data can approximate true trends.