What's new

Could Rubio become an Elite Corner 3pt Shooter?

If Rubio really shot 45% on 444 mid-range jump shots last year, there's no denying that is an elite FG%. I bet only a handful of players shot that well from mid-range last year. I never would have thought he shot that well. I even have my GF saying, "no, don't shoot" now when he shoots. Lol

I remember analyzing this pretty closely when the Jazz traded for Rubio. Stats say he is an elite mid-range shooter. It's his outside shot that destroys his overall FG%. How that is not obvious to some of you after watching the first 7 games of the season is beyond me.

The thing that I like most is that he is taking more outside shots, but is STILL getting to the line at the same pace. Oftentimes, a player that "focuses on his outside game" will stop trying to go inside and will hover at the three point line. Rubio is not doing that. It could very well be that Rubio has suffered from crappy coaching his entire career and really is the guy that we are now seeing.

I have faith in Quin to help improve Rubio’s offense the way he helped Hayward. Getting improved offense out of Rubio, Hood and Mitchell will do wonders for this team. Getting Jingles and JJ to get their shots going will also help dramatically. The Jazz made a LOT of changes this offseason. There’s bound to be continuity issues. . . especially without a go-to scorer. I think that they’ll all continue to improve as they figure out their roles and Snyder tightens up his lineups and rotations.

This may have already been mentioned, but it seems to me that big reason why Rubio shoots from midrange so well is that he really only takes those shots when he is wide ****ing open.

He may just be on the cusp of being elite from the foul line as well, where he was the 11th best free throw shooter in the league last season at 89.1% on 285 ft attempts. (he's at 88.5% ft this year so far)

So... what I read there is that teams are daring him to beat them. And he is responding by beating them. If they honestly dare put pressure on him I expect ya'll know what happens, right? He will proceed to get into the paint and destroy teams with his passing. His shooting will setup some of the simplest offensive basketball we have seen in years.

My favorite moments from last night's game were:

1. The mavs cut the lead to a 5 point game... and then D Mitch stole the ball from Nowitzki and passed it to Thabo for the layup. We proceeded on a 5 - 0 run and then another run to close out the game. Game changer and the crowd energy ensued.

2. Ricky Rubio walking away from the bench during a Mavs timeout and pumping his arms to the crowd.

There is going to be a tight competition for fan favorite this year. I can see Rudy, Rubio, Mitchell, Thabo, and Ingles as all potential candidates. Go Jazz!

Anyone paying attention can tell it's a combination of this, floor switches and offense, and Rubio creating his own wide open shot off picks. He's looked pretty damn good on pull ups on his drives and is getting tons of space.

I have faith in Quin to help improve Rubio’s offense the way he helped Hayward. Getting improved offense out of Rubio, Hood and Mitchell will do wonders for this team. Getting Jingles and JJ to get their shots going will also help dramatically. The Jazz made a LOT of changes this offseason. There’s bound to be continuity issues. . . especially without a go-to scorer. I think that they’ll all continue to improve as they figure out their roles and Snyder tightens up his lineups and rotations.

This^
I think this is absolutely the key to getting into the playoffs. When we hit those eight or nine minute droughts on offense that is where we lose. No degree of defense will save us with those types of struggles.

http://nbasavant.com/player.php?player_id=201937

According to his shot charts he is 5/9 from the corners so far this year (and this is actually not including tonight's most recent game, from which I believe he had two more corner 3's). Pretty good stuff.

Distance is clearly the biggest factor in what makes Rubio a poor outside shooter as he is an elite mid-range shooter. The corner 3 might prove to be a sweet spot just on the outer edge of his range.

It's like a thread from the Twilight Zone.

Right now I wish Rubio would take more care of the basketball. It is just too frustrating to watch him attempt long passes which are so easily intercepted and converted by the other team.

Rubio has taken this team backwards...he is easily the worst player on the team. Trade out asap.

trade out while he has value.

cos he'll be back to shooting sub 40% and his value will be that of cement truck lonzo ball