What's new

Culture of winning or tank?

Win or tank?

• Total voters
Let's wait the 14 games tough series ( we play 2) before jump into conclusion. But this is quite disturbing. This team is really grin and grint style + a lot of potential shooters. Lauri don't shoot well, KO do the job, Mike has a bad night or dont play, JC and Colin do an excellent job. And our bench is looking pretty solid, probably one of the best bench in NBA actually. Still have really no idea where we can go..

Let's wait the 14 games tough series ( we play 2) before jump into conclusion. But this is quite disturbing. This team is really grin and grint style + a lot of potential shooters. Lauri don't shoot well, KO do the job, Mike has a bad night or dont play, JC and Colin do an excellent job. And our bench is looking pretty solid, probably one of the best bench in NBA actually. Still have really no idea where we can go..
Don’t forget NAW! That’s the guy that really answered the bell and made an instant impact allowing us to regain some composure and be our best selves IMO.

This team now reminds me of that Portland trailblazers team from 1998 to 2000. How that roster puts together a winning record is beyond me, let alone making multiple trips to the conference final. But that may be what we are seeing here with this Jazz team.

I’m in both camps tbh.

I want to see this team win as many games as they can and start building success - but I want to see them so it with the players that are going to be in Utah long term.

Jazz should look to play heavy minutes to their most important guys and build around Lauri, JC, Sexton, Vando, Kessler, Fontecchio and Agbaji.

They should probably keep Beasley, Olynyk, THT and NAW - at least this year and next - depending on the cost of those guys. If they get offered a good-to-great asset for any of them, I’d consider making a deal.

They should ABSOLUTELY be trying to trade Conley, Gay, Bolmaro and Azibuike. Like I said - Beasley, Olynyk, THT and NAW should all be on the trade block as well - but with less urgency.

If they execute a key trade or two AND keep winning - that’s the best case scenario imo.

I’m in both camps tbh.

I want to see this team win as many games as they can and start building success - but I want to see them so it with the players that are going to be in Utah long term.

Jazz should look to play heavy minutes to their most important guys and build around Lauri, JC, Sexton, Vando, Kessler, Fontecchio and Agbaji.

They should probably keep Beasley, Olynyk, THT and NAW - at least this year and next - depending on the cost of those guys. If they get offered a good-to-great asset for any of them, I’d consider making a deal.

They should ABSOLUTELY be trying to trade Conley, Gay, Bolmaro and Azibuike. Like I said - Beasley, Olynyk, THT and NAW should all be on the trade block as well - but with less urgency.

If they execute a key trade or two AND keep winning - that’s the best case scenario imo.
Olynyk is a classic case of a guy who you extend if the fit is right. He won't be expensive, he doesn't need to start, you can play him with almost anyone, and he's generally more useful for the Jazz as a player than as a trade piece.

I think Kelly still has 3-4 good years left since his game is not based on athleticism.

As for the other guys... I'm not sure Fontecchio is a rotation player in the NBA. He'll be 27 this season, so he pretty much is who he is at this point. Not getting any younger or quicker. To me he's a tweener who's too slow to guard 3's and lacks size and athleticism to guard 4's. He's certainly no foundational piece.

Agbaji may have a future as a 7th guy on a good team, but he doesn't move the needle for me.

Last edited:
Olynyk is a classic case of a guy who you extend if the fit is right. He won't be expensive, he doesn't need to start, you can play him with almost anyone, and he's generally more useful for the Jazz as a player than as a trade piece.

I think Kelly still has 3-4 good years left since his game is not based on athleticism.

As for the other guys... I'm not sure Fontecchio is a rotation player in the NBA. He'll be 27 this season, so he pretty much is who he is at this point. Not getting any younger or quicker. To me he's a tweener who's too slow to guard 3's and lacks size and athleticism to guard 4's. He's certainly no foundational piece.

Agbaji may have a future as a 7th guy on a good team, but he doesn't move the needle for me.
I included Fontecchio and Agbaji in that group to build around because of their contracts - not because I think they’re foundational. It’s clear the Jazz like them and want to see what they bring to the table, and that they don’t hold much trade value at the moment. Better to see what they can do than to move onto someone else. If they can get value for any of those other guys, I’d say you have to consider it. Maybe even put NAW and THT in that category as well - but they’re going to cost more than Fontecchio and Agbaji.

I’m in both camps tbh.

Good post. I like this approach as well only thing I would add is to include one of Clarkson or Beasley to the tradeable list to sweeten the deal.

I really wanna see Sexton start every game this year and improve his playmaking ability.

Crazy that so far our defense is better than last year in terms of NBA rank and defensive rating. But it does make sense since our guys are hustling a lot more. Too bad Rudy never got to play with guys trying this hard on defense.
This in spades. We let Rudy down too much in our ****** team building.

Jazz offense is generating 118 per 100. It's the same as last year

Lauri + Clarkson is +9.5 per 100 on the court together

And we are tanking? Hilarious

This team now reminds me of that Portland trailblazers team from 1998 to 2000. How that roster puts together a winning record is beyond me, let alone making multiple trips to the conference final. But that may be what we are seeing here with this Jazz team.

I rarely post and do not know you, and you are likely a very nice guy or lady. But I believe you are drunk, or possibly on Ketamine right now. This roster carries zero resemblance to the Jailblazers roster of the late 90s that was loaded with serious NBA talent at a very, very high price. I think the payroll broke records but I could be wrong there. The '99-'00 roster featured:

Damon Stoudamire
Steve Smith
Scottie Pippen
Rasheed Wallace
Arvydas Sabonis
Brian Grant
Bonzi Wells
Jermaine O'Neal

These guys were mostly older (not all), there was multiple All-Stars, some NBA ROYs, some previous NBA Champions and some Olympic players on the team. This current Jazz roster is like the antithesis of that. I don't get the comparison.

I rarely post and do not know you, and you are likely a very nice guy or lady. But I believe you are drunk, or possibly on Ketamine right now. This roster carries zero resemblance to the Jailblazers roster of the late 90s that was loaded with serious NBA talent at a very, very high price. I think the payroll broke records but I could be wrong there. The '99-'00 roster featured:

Damon Stoudamire
Steve Smith
Scottie Pippen
Rasheed Wallace
Arvydas Sabonis
Brian Grant
Bonzi Wells
Jermaine O'Neal

These guys were mostly older (not all), there was multiple All-Stars, some NBA ROYs, some previous NBA Champions and some Olympic players on the team. This current Jazz roster is like the antithesis of that. I don't get the comparison.
Well, we have Olympic players in Fontecchio and Bolmaro, a previous NBA champion in THT and all star in Conley. We don't have ROY but we have SMOY in Clarkson.

And let's not pretend these awards or accolades mean anything without context.

Scottie was already 34 year old when he joined the Blazers and his haydays were clearly over. Likewise Sabonis was well past his prime and had trouble staying healthy. Both guys put up real pedestrian numbers for blazers despite their previous career achievement.

O’Neal was only a backup and averaged 4 points/3 revs in Portland. He did not break out until Indiana. Kessler is a way better player than Blazers O'Neal.

Similarly Bonzi Wells averaged 8 points off the bench and was nothing close to what he later achieved in his career.

Rasheed was their best player but his best years were in Detroit. Despite his talent he was widely considered a headcase and underachiever in Portland. Lauri has put up better numbers.

And is Brian Grant really better than Sexton/Beasley/THT?

Winning culture of course!

Now you've a player who know what it means. It's about the team. Even in the top dog leading role in Susijengi, Lauri never forget what is the substance of success in the team sport.

Can you guys possibly imagine that? You just got an individual athletic, a piece of team, but leader leading from the front, far above average tactician, and generally very good spirited, out-going, no BS casual dude to your "tank", that also happens to be the ultimate Talisman, and undisputed on-scene commander of Finnish basketball, Trying to make some kind of stabile living for his family.

Without making much noise about it. That he knows a lot about how to create winning culture in a team.

This all is real and happening now, not about hazy future expectations of maybe achievable probabilities of yet unfolded unseen future history of potentially lucky development scenarios for a potential of a X% draft pick what eva........h.

Gah, you know it is a team sport, you know.