What's new

Dame Time

OK, I'm super conflicted on this. It feels like it could be a situation where if it works out, we might be talking about a title in Utah, and if it doesn't work out, we still might be able to recover given the amount of good contracts and picks we would still have left.

Can some run through the numbers on Lillard's contract again and what percentage of the projected salary cap that would represent? Also, what does a future max deal for Lauri look like and how much overlap would there be?

OK, I'm super conflicted on this. It feels like it could be a situation where if it works out, we might be talking about a title in Utah, and if it doesn't work out, we still might be able to recover given the amount of good contracts and picks we would still have left.

Can some run through the numbers on Lillard's contract again and what percentage of the projected salary cap that would represent? Also, what does a future max deal for Lauri look like and how much overlap would there be?
I know it's Danny Ainge, but you are crazy if you think we can get him for less than all the picks we got for Don and Rudy. Not without losing LM.
Lillard would unlikely to ever be content in a different small market, where he is still not able to get to the WCF, for half the years he has left on his deal either.
F Dame he aint coming here no matter how much fun it would be to almost win a title for 4 seasons

I’d do that in a heart beat. If it doesn’t work out or Luka becomes available, I think Dame is probably still going to get us some value we could send in another deal
of course you would because it is nowhere near what it will take to get him lol

1688253912906.png

Dame’s contract is similar to Beal’s. That hurts his value at least a little.

I think the projected salary cap in 2025-26 and 2026-27 is 149M and 157M.

Those would be the two seasons Lauri and Lillard overlap. I don’t know the exact numbers and we might renegotiate and extend with Lauri but let’s assume he makes around 45M a year.

Those two would overlap for about 66% of the cap for two years. We could easily go over that and still avoid luxury tax though.

Does anybody have any idea how the salary cap is projected to rise over the next 5 years? I know they are looking to smooth the cap rises, but not sure what that actually means.

I'm not sure if this is realistic, but the luxury tax line is $162MM this year. If it goes up 10% every year then it would be up to $214MM by the last year of Dame's contract so his $63MM would only be about 30% of salary assuming we are up at the luxury tax line. That doesn't sound quite so bad, but I have no idea if $214MM tax line is realistic or not.

The going rate (pre new CBA) for a star was 4 unprotected picks, at least 1 swap, and good young players. I imagine POR will hold out for something like that. A package from us would have to look something like this:

CLE 25 1st
CLE 27 1st
MIN 25 1st
LAL 27 1st
Swap in 26 or 28
Collins
Hendricks
THT

Might have to throw in another asset, but we could do it and still have a good amount of draft assets leftover. I don’t foresee someone offering 6-7 first rounders for him.

I think the projected salary cap in 2025-26 and 2026-27 is 149M and 157M.

Those would be the two seasons Lauri and Lillard overlap. I don’t know the exact numbers and we might renegotiate and extend with Lauri but let’s assume he makes around 45M a year.

Those two would overlap for about 66% of the cap for two years. We could easily go over that and still avoid luxury tax though.

Thanks, I couldn't find anything when I did a quick Google search.

We only have to beat out the next best offer. How many teams that have need for a point guard and are in a position to start winning right away are there?

Dame is also older and has a gigantic contract making the risk of acquiring him much higher than other stars that have been traded in the past.

The going rate (pre new CBA) for a star was 4 unprotected picks, at least 1 swap, and good young players. I imagine POR will hold out for something like that. A package from us would have to look something like this:

CLE 25 1st
CLE 27 1st
MIN 25 1st
LAL 27 1st
Swap in 26 or 28
Collins
Hendricks
THT

Might have to throw in another asset, but we could do it and still have a good amount of draft assets leftover. I don’t foresee someone offering 6-7 first rounders for him.
I think Ainge could get it done for 3 FRP + Clarkson. I do not think he should, nor do I think he will.

I think Ainge could get it done for 3 FRP + Clarkson. I do not think he should, nor do I think he will.
That’s an offer that gets us laughed out of the Zoom call. Plus, where’s the other $30M in salaries we’d have to include?

I know it's Danny Ainge, but you are crazy if you think we can get him for less than all the picks we got for Don and Rudy. Not without losing LM.
Lillard would unlikely to ever be content in a different small market, where he is still not able to get to the WCF, for half the years he has left on his deal either.
F Dame he aint coming here no matter how much fun it would be to almost win a title for 4 seasons
Miami is currently offering Portland some expired left overs and a couple fortune cookies and you think we’d have to give up all the picks from the DM and Rudy trades to get him?

That’s an offer that gets us laughed out of the Zoom call. Plus, where’s the other $30M in salaries we’d have to include?
It doesn’t matter because it isn’t going to happen and it shouldn’t. But I bet the final package is about 3 FRPs + matching salary of slightly above league average players.

Miami is currently offering Portland some expired left overs and a couple fortune cookies and you think we’d have to give up all the picks from the DM and Rudy trades to get him?

Don’t even reply to him. He literally is the worst poster on the site. If nobody ever replies maybe he will stop posting.

His age combined with that contract is what makes it an easy no for me. I feel like if we just focus on building this the right way over the next year then we can set us up to be a legit contender for the next 10 years. If the roster stays as is for next season then we should have a much better idea of what we have and what tweaks need to be made. Right now we still don't really know who is a long term building block other than Lauri. I think Kessler can get there but it is not uncommon to see guys have really solid rookies years and then take a big step back. Just last year at this time we probably all viewed a guy like Chris Duarte as a solid building block role player for the pacers. One year later he is traded to the kings for very little.

CLE 25 1st
CLE 27 1st
MIN 25 1st
LAL 27 1st
Swap in 26 or 28
Collins
Hendricks
THT

Dame isn't worth even close to that package.