What's new

Dame Time

All I know is that next year would be a lot more fun with Dame than without Dame. I think if we want him, we can definitely get him. I trust the front office to make the decision, but privately, I'd rather have my cupcake now than, possibly, in 2029.
You have to get some but in THT he’s be okay here. I don’t think it’s impossible but without that assurance are we going to make the right type of offer.

I still think this ends with Dame Nurkic going to Miami… Portland will get 3-4 firsts (2 from Miami and 2 elsewhere) by routing Jacquez and Herro elsewhere. Might have to take a bad salary like Ben Simmons to do it but it’s in the ball park of what we’d offer for a grumpy Dame.

I’m against trading for Dame. I think it’s fool’s gold. Our team isn’t ready yet. We’re too young and don’t have solid defense pieces. We would give valuable assets and good players away, and after 3 years with Dame (who turns 33 this month with his numbers bound to decline, increased risk of injuries, his huge contract a burden) come out empty-handed and those assets and players gone. Ainge hasn’t made a mistake yet. Except trading for the has been from ATL Hope he can keep it that way.
I fixed it for you. But yeah trading for Dame would only make sense if we were cash strapped had huge contracts of bad vets to justify moving those picks etc.

F Dame time, this site is so full of fools smh sorry to those of you who know your ****. I would rather watch weeds grow than spend the next few seasons knowing we have a great regular season star that has never won a ****ing thing and wont without someone better than him as his batman.

I don't want Dame, there I said it. I don't have enough confidence that he won't lose a step very soon, which will drive his efficiency down the toilet. It would take too many assets and would give the Jazz only a 2 year window to win a championship, assuming he stays healthy.

It just so happened that I started watching the Jazz regularly around 10 months before their rebuild started (having watched mainly the Blazers for some 30 years) - and it's been a real breath of fresh air to see a team run with competency (under Ainge), players that play with effort on both sides of the ball and, particularly, the brand of basketball that Hardy has instilled here is a pleasure to watch with the team ethos and ball movement.

ALL of that disappears if you trade for Lillard. He walks the ball up court (no fast breaks), ISO offense with long jacked threes will be the order of the day, the beautiful ball movement of Hardys syatem will disappear as Lillard has to have the ball in his hands and stops ball movement. On top of all of that, he is absymal on the defensive side of the ball and his 'Star' super power is wilting in the playoffs (yes- he hit some two or three big shots - but his play in general dips under pressure).

Add to this he is 33 years old and, having a game predicated on first step, will most likely regress very soon.

I have really enjoyed the rebuild so far in Utah (big fan of Markannens play and Hardys coaching) but I feel like tradeing for Dame would anchor the team with an albatross contract for an aging PG who plays no defense and will be a detriment to the great team-style play that I have come to love in Utah.

Don't do it Danny - Defense! - save your trade chips for two-way players with size that fit the age bracket better.

Last edited:
Dame feels like the 4th of July trade firework that happens this year. Seems like every year we are waiting on at least one of these big transactions.

There is no way in hell Dame would sit out and not get paid. He's on a 4-year contract.
But maybe he doesn't come in and report for the physical... maybe he doesn't show for training camp... he could cause some issues without actually sitting. You don't want a guy that isn't cool with being here. He may allow you some time to persuade him and come in begrudgingly... but this hasn't been fully tested in the player empowerment era. Not sure I would want to derail things with that kind of side show.

He could also do the "my hamstring doesn't feel great" and sit out games and do the Harden Half-*** until you moved him. You'd just have to get some buy in before completing the trade.

You have to get some but in THT he’s be okay here. I don’t think it’s impossible but without that assurance are we going to make the right type of offer.

I still think this ends with Dame Nurkic going to Miami… Portland will get 3-4 firsts (2 from Miami and 2 elsewhere) by routing Jacquez and Herro elsewhere. Might have to take a bad salary like Ben Simmons to do it but it’s in the ball park of what we’d offer for a grumpy Dame.
I’m going to get slaughtered for this, but I can’t help but be intrigued by the thought of getting Simmons for cheap out of this. If, and it’s a big if, he could be somewhat like the player he was he’d fill a big playmaking and perimeter defense hole.
But he’s still a douchebag and don’t worry, I already hate myself for these thoughts.

I’m going to get slaughtered for this, but I can’t help but be intrigued by the thought of getting Simmons for cheap out of this. If, and it’s a big if, he could be somewhat like the player he was he’d fill a big playmaking and perimeter defense hole.
But he’s still a douchebag and don’t worry, I already hate myself for these thoughts.

Don't want a guard who can't shoot and clogs up the paint.

Don't want a guard who can't shoot and clogs up the lane.
Fair enough. I feel our backcourt is a little overcrowded with no real standouts, so I’m looking for that pg that we could get before he pops elsewhere. Others have mentioned Quickley and I’m not opposed to that. Ideal scenario would be Keyonte hitting the ground running.

Last edited:
Everyone talks about “the timeline”. I actually think Dame is right for our timeline. It sounds awesome to have a ton of young players all grow together and peak at similar-ish times….but the truth is that comes with them all getting paid a ton at the same time. You can’t afford everyone once the rookie deals are over. What you can afford is having multiple max players with players still on their rookie deals.

I feel as though the Jazz have a window here with Kessler having 3 years left on his rookie deal, kind of similar to when they had Mitchell on a rookie deal. You want to stack the deck when you have good players on cheap contracts and not after they get giant pay bumps.

If Dame does not want to play here that cannot be fixed. But if he’s open to it, we’ve got to be open to it. He was playing at an MVP level last season. I’d be shocked if he’s not at an all star level for the next 3+ years.