What's new

Dame Time

View: https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1675886469087461377

Miami might be coming to the realization their supposed best trade chip might actually be a bad contract. If teams are actually asking for compensation to take Herro I'm not sure they have enough assets to make even a midling type offer for Dame. Herro's deal runs 4 years. If Brooklyn has interest in signing Donovan in 2 years wouldn't it make sense to just hold on to Simmons and let his contract expire the same offseason that Don becomes a FA.

All of those teams have holes. If we get Dame we wouldn't have the highest end talent, but we might be the most complete team.

With the Collins deal and after signing Clarkson we are a win now team. Ainge has put together this team with the idea in mind that we will eventually trade for a star to complete the team.
Complete teams without a superstar rarely if ever win it all. I did this exercise a while ago where I went through all the champions in the last 30 years... pretty much the only team in the last 30 years that won the chip without having a previous MVP or Finals MVP on their roster was the 2004 Detroit team. EVERY SINGLE OTHER championship team had a player on their roster that had already been MVP or FMVP. If we want to just be a fun team that competes every year - by all means do it. If we want the championship... we need THE GUY! Most likely...

Complete teams without a superstar rarely if ever win it all. I did this exercise a while ago where I went through all the champions in the last 30 years... pretty much the only team in the last 30 years that won the chip without having a previous MVP or Finals MVP on their roster was the 2004 Detroit team. EVERY SINGLE OTHER championship team had a player on their roster that had already been MVP or FMVP. If we want to just be a fun team that competes every year - by all means do it. If we want the championship... we need THE GUY! Most likely...

I get that, but just not sure how realistic it is to find an MVP. The Luka situation seems the most likely, but I still have a hard time believing it's real.

And I think what made that 2004 Piston team so good is they had the most top 50 players on their roster that year
They were very good if you look at their roster

POR has no incentives here at all to appease Dame and just trade him to MIA.

Once he’s gone and POR is left with not much how are the fans gonna feel?

They’d be dumb not to entertain the best offers.

This logic doesn’t make a ton of sense, though. Every championship team has a finals MVP. If a team without a superstar wins it all, they magically have a finals MVP.

Im thinking Miami just cannot make this deal work. Herro is a negative asset to Blazers and there are no reports that anyone is interested in compensating Miami enough so they can build a fair package.

Cronin played his cards well, playing the waiting game and never "agreeing" to trade Dame. Now Dame is a bit of an undeserving villain and Cronin doesnt have to oblige to his destination wishes.

Vultures know this and now Minny, Pelicans and Celtics are reportedly circling around the corpse.

This logic doesn’t make a ton of sense, though. Every championship team has a finals MVP. If a team without a superstar wins it all, they magically have a finals MVP.
It has... but I mean - a player that has already been a finals MVP. BEFORE that current year. For example the Toronto team had Kawhi who hasn't been an MVP but was Finals MVP with the Spurs. The point is - you have to have on your team a player who has already proven himself to be the best of the best either through a season or at the highest level(finals).

Maxey is in a heated battle with OG Anonuby to see who can be the most overrated player in the league.
Maxey is a very good player… not sure how he’s overrated. 22 YO putting up his numbers on that kind of efficiency for a winning team? He’s pretty good. Morey saying he’s untouchable is just Morey. He wanted like Mobley, Allen and stuff for Tobias Harris lol.

Dame is that guy. We would be a compete team.

All of those teams have holes. If we get Dame we wouldn't have the highest end talent, but we might be the most complete team.

With the Collins deal and after signing Clarkson we are a win now team. Ainge has put together this team with the idea in mind that we will eventually trade for a star to complete the team.
I would pump the brakes on that a little. We don’t really have any wing depth. Or perimeter defense. But we did use all of our cap space and our top pick on big forwards when our best player is a big forward already so that’s great.

From The Hoops Collective Podcast:

MacMahon throws out the Jazz as a sleeper Dame team. He says the Jazz are at the minimum very intrigued by the possibility.

Windhorst says the Jazz are a lurker.

They talk about the potential package being Sexton/KO/THT plus one young guys and picks.

Windhorst said Dame and Collins would do some damage to the league.

MacMahon says the Jazz would be a threat in the West with Dame.

Windhorst makes a good point saying the chance for Utah to trade for a star is rare and it’s even more rare for that star to have 4 years left on his deal.

MacMahon says the reason you stockpile picks like the Jazz have is to go after a star and they can’t be that selective. They need to take their swing when they can.

MacMahon says he expects Utah to have some level of discussions whether it is for Dame or to help facilitate a Dame deal.
Lillard being on a 4yr contract shouldn't be viewed as a positive. We get maybe one more prime year from Lillard and then the decline begins and likely speeds up pretty drastically after year 2 of that contract. Lillard is also at the age where even if he is at a high level when playing we seem them become far more injury prone.

Maxey is a very good player… not sure how he’s overrated. 22 YO putting up his numbers on that kind of efficiency for a winning team? He’s pretty good. Morey saying he’s untouchable is just Morey. He wanted like Mobley, Allen and stuff for Tobias Harris lol.
Players scoring >20 ppg on .600 TS% in their early 20’s are virtually non-existent. I’d wager he’s one of one.

I would pump the brakes on that a little. We don’t really have any wing depth. Or perimeter defense. But we did use all of our cap space and our top pick on big forwards when our best player is a big forward already so that’s great.
That's fair.

I think OG is a really good player too, but Windy today was just saying they would not trade Maxey for prime Michael Jordan. Sure that was hyperbole, but he's not some superstar player. He's good, really good maybe. I don't know why he's untouchable when he's maybe just a notch above the other scoring combo guard types....some of whom are seen as negative value. He's certainly closer to the Herro/Poole/Simons tier than he is a Mitchell/Garland. You would think that he must have just had the most amazing playoff run of all time but he was....fine?

I was interested in maybe getting Herro but after Clarkson re-signed I think I’m good on that. Only guy I really think we could get involved with getting as a third team is Maxey.

I think OG is a really good player too, but Windy today was just saying they would not trade Maxey for prime Michael Jordan. Sure that was hyperbole, but he's not some superstar player. He's good, really good maybe. I don't know why he's untouchable when he's maybe just a notch above the other scoring combo guard types....some of whom are seen as negative value. He's certainly closer to the Herro/Poole/Simons tier than he is a Mitchell/Garland. You would think that he must have just had the most amazing playoff run of all time but he was....fine?
That was Windy doing a bit very clearly mocking the narrative that Morey is selling. I think he might be closer to the Mitchell/Garland than those others guys. He's very efficient and had to survive as a third banana. I think he'd be worth a couple firsts from us and I wouldn't be shocked if he blew up in a different situation. No one thinks he's untouchable... its dumb posturing. If he wasn't available they would extend him (even though this cute narrative they have about having two max spots open).