What's new

Dame Time

Dame’s fault. He could’ve moved on long ago but he chose to stay. Blazers owe him nothing this is a business after all and Blazers org needs to do what’s best for them and the fans not Dame. He’s made a lot of money from the blazers. What exactly do they owe him?
He could have moved on and chose to stay… which benefitted the Blazers… this whole they owe him nothing thing is some lame ****. Now do they owe it to him to get screwed? Nah but they owe it to him to try and get him what he wants. He can poison the well for them… not just as a player for the next 5 years but after his career.

He could have moved on and chose to stay… which benefitted the Blazers… this whole they owe him nothing thing is some lame ****. Now do they owe it to him to get screwed? Nah but they owe it to him to try and get him what he wants. He can poison the well for them… not just as a player for the next 5 years but after his career.

Hmm… I wouldn’t take a lesser offer if I was them just to make him happy though.

We say that about every year's "generational" talent.
I don’t think that’s true and he’s an actual generational talent. We’re also in the same conference and for half of Lebron’s career, the road to the finals goes through wherever he’s playing.

Yeah I agree.

I mean what’s the rush? The seasons not starting for another 3 months at least.

Also Portland has absolutely nothing to gain by appeasing Dame.
The Jazz are probably better positioned from every angle by playing the last minute foil to Miami (or whoever), kinda like Cleveland last year. Swoop in when the incumbent teams hit peak frustration and marginally beat their offer (if it’s reasonable).

I would be a lot more bullish on Dame if I thought we could get out of that business early, but after two years he becomes almost untradeable.

This move also likely makes the renegotiate and extend possibilities vanishingly diminished for Markannen. Which dramatically wrenches leverage from the Jazz in keeping him and likely removes the possibility of going anywhere south of the max on his next offer. All of which seriously complicates the salary picture.

It’s risky even if the trade price is reasonable.

Last edited:
I can’t for the life of me understand the argument that POR should “do right by Dame” and just send him where he wants to go, regardless of what the trade package looks like. So, it’s all under the guise that it’ll earn the franchise goodwill with future players???

Dame’s circle doing mad PR spin…
So I’m a long time fan of the Miami Dolphins (please save your laughter, I’ve suffered enough). Early this offseason, the Phins traded for Jalen Ramsey. Ramsey had a little more leverage than Dame did, as he told the Rams he wanted to be traded to Miami or else he wouldn’t agree to restructure his contract with any other team.

The Rams eventually sent him to Miami even though they had better offers from other teams. Ramsey played a key role in helping the Rams win their first SB and the Rams front office wanted to do him a solid. While Dame never won a title in Portland, he’s been the face of the franchise for over a decade and has been a damn good soldier for the Trailblazers. Now, I don’t think that means Portland is gonna send him to Miami for pennie’s on the dollar, but I do think if Miami can come even close to meeting Portland’s asking price, they’re gonna send him to Miami as somewhat of a “thank you” for what he’s meant to the franchise.

Ridiculous

It’s not about the next guy wanting to come there… it’s about doing right by the guy that was there and was loyal. The guys they have there now will see how you treat the guy on his way out the door. It’s agents and other relationships. I also have a feeling there was a wink and a nod agreement when he signed his extension that they’d do right by him if he needed out.

Again… not saying they should get screwed… but that if the Miami offer is 85-90% of the other best offers you take the Miami offer. If some team wants to come over top and beat it by a significant margin… then you take the offer.

Also all of those offers listed ended up being the best offers on the table… because teams don’t want to acquire a guy that will become a problem.

It’s not about the next guy wanting to come there… it’s about doing right by the guy that was there and was loyal. The guys they have there now will see how you treat the guy on his way out the door. It’s agents and other relationships. I also have a feeling there was a wink and a nod agreement when he signed his extension that they’d do right by him if he needed out.

Again… not saying they should get screwed… but that if the Miami offer is 85-90% of the other best offers you take the Miami offer. If some team wants to come over top and beat it by a significant margin… then you take the offer.

Also all of those offers listed ended up being the best offers on the table… because teams don’t want to acquire a guy that will become a problem.

I don’t really agree with this at all. With that logic we should have shipped Donovan to the Knicks. Seems like it worked out fine for us.

I don’t really agree with this at all. With that logic we should have shipped Donovan to the Knicks. Seems like it worked out fine for us.
It’s a different situation for a lot of reasons… but also NY withheld assets… if Miami doesn’t offer up everything then we can have a different discussion. He also wasn’t forcing his way to one spot. Had he said NY or nothing we’d have been in a much worse spot. He’s also a lot more years left so a bit more open. Dame has a 2-3 year window… burning a year or two in a less than ideal situation.

If a Dame trade left the powder dry I would understand the “this must make us a contender” POV a lot more. But that’s so far from the case.
If a Dame trade doesn't make us a contender and left some powder dry then what's the point of keeping that powder dry? To spend it in a few years to drag this team to another non-contender level? That's the reason I want us to actually go all in if we want to trade for Dame.

As much as I'd love to believe that, doing right by a player rarely yields positive results for a franchise. There's no reason to screw the future of your franchise by accepting a low ball offer.

If a Dame trade doesn't make us a contender and left some powder dry then what's the point of keeping that powder dry? To spend it in a few years to drag this team to another non-contender level? That's the reason I want us to actually go all in if we want to trade for Dame.

I do not disagree. What I said is that the Dame trade does not leave the powder dry. Trading for Dame in isolation doesn’t have to catapult us into contender status. We would have plenty of options and resources to continue building a better team. I think our chances of getting almost every player (superstar, star, or otherwise) go up exponentially if Lillard is in a Jazz uniform. Great players want to play with great players.

As much as I'd love to believe that, doing right by a player rarely yields positive results for a franchise. There's no reason to screw the future of your franchise by accepting a low ball offer.
The offer has to be comparable. Teams have absolutely benefited by playing nice… OKC for example.

NBA is an ecosystem and burning guys that treated you well won’t help you. Relationships matter.

I completely disagree. Damian demanding a trade is basically throwing shade at his current teammates because he doesn't believe in them. Also getting as much as possible for Damian is a direct benefit to them so they should want the best package possible if they want to win basketball games long term.