What's new

Dame Time

People expect them to sacrifice literally hundreds of millions of dollars to get freedom as well. The "that's what the money is for" argument seems to only apply to the players and not the owners.

Like if Portland had sacrificed one young player, gone into the tax, taken on a risky contract on a high reward player, or hell even resolved their ownership issue then maybe this is a different convo... but people acting like Dame is Harden or even KD is just wild. He is a small markets dream... gave his all (not just on the court... dude was a leader, mentor, etc.) and when he saw no hope he asked out and would like to go to a preferred destination... Portland has been having their cake and eating it too... why can't Dame?
Give me some examples of moves they could or should have made that would have made them a contender?

I think they moved two picks in his time there. I think they also traded win now guys for picks or younger players as well. They made moves more with the tax in mind than winning. They have half assed or hedged their bets pretty significantly. Don't see them as an all in team at all really.
You think? Give some examples if you are going to defend that position. The Norman Powell and Robert Covington trades were pretty damn all in moves at the time.

Name me some moves that could have been made that they missed on? They didn't play a scared game but rather an extremely smart game. Give me one example of the blazers making a stupid decision to duck the tax.
The Norm Powell/Covington/Nance deals they did dropped them under the tax and netted them what? Keon Johnson?

They played scared... waiting way to long to do the CJ/Dame breakup... unwilling to move Sharpe or Simons or the 3rd pick. Those are likely the smart moves for the franchise long term... but are playing the middle of the road. They owe like one lotto protected pick but haven't put any other draft capital on the table. Sold off Hart for a pick.

Give me some examples of moves they could or should have made that would have made them a contender?
There is not one move... but they could have made other moves... cooking up hypothetical deals is a fruitless exercise. Very few teams are one move away... but you make moves to get closer until you are. They have not been all-in based on the moves they have made... they are in when the price is perfect or pretty low.

I wouldnt hate Herro on this team, but it would also make the Keyonte pick over JHS even more infuriating.

Herro would be an upgrade over Clarkson/Sexton, but it would also mean you would really need to get off Clarkson/Sexton. I also just find Herro annoying.

Many fans obsess about winning a championship.It means everything to them. It is often a highlight of their lives. Yet, when a player chases a championship, fans slam him as a disloyal championship chaser. We want players to be loyal as long as they meet our needs, but want to ship them out when they struggle. We would trade almost any player to whatever crappy organization if it improved our team. Hypocrisy is alive and well.
That's true and why I respect Don for getting out.

I wouldnt hate Herro on this team, but it would also make the Keyonte pick over JHS even more infuriating.

Herro would be an upgrade over Clarkson/Sexton, but it would also mean you would really need to get off Clarkson/Sexton. I also just find Herro annoying.
Player A: 20.1 ppg / 5.4 rpg / 4.2 apg on 44/38/93 splits
Player B: 20.8 ppg / 4.0 rpg / 4.4 apg on 44/34/82 splits

Clarkson > Herro

Well Herro is 23 years old. That's the main thing he does that Clarkson does not. Clarkson wasnt anywhere near Herro's level at age 23.

I'd also put Herro's defense a notch or two above Clarksons and he is a much more consistent 3pt shooter.
He's also a lot more expensive and we have George in-house who will probably replace Clarkson. Clarkson and Herro are fairly comparable on percentages. Herro's a good player and all, don't get me wrong, but we're SG heavy already with THT and Clarkson. If we take on Herro, we'll need another deal or two to clear the glut. All things equal, I'd rather keep what we have for now.

Yeah... that would be so cool. I'd be so happy with the org that shut him down the last two years to tank shutting him down again... what a win that would be... sticking to their guns... fans would love that **** too.

You don't have to take a ****** deal. Miami has a chance to get to a fair deal if they can find something for Herro. Doing this to a guy like Dame would be hilarious bad business. Doing that to BS vs. doing it to Dame is not a great look.

Damian, is that you? If Miami made a fair offer, then a deal would have been done by now. Miami needs a team to offer 2 quality FRPs for Tyler Herro, and so far no one's willing to do it.

Well Herro is 23 years old. That's the main thing he does that Clarkson does not. Clarkson wasnt anywhere near Herro's level at age 23.

I'd also put Herro's defense a notch or two above Clarksons and he is a much more consistent 3pt shooter.

Was just about to say this. Imagine him as a 23-year old Clarkson with the same game as current Clarkson. Pretty good right?

Damian, is that you? If Miami made a fair offer, then a deal would have been done by now. Miami needs a team to offer 2 quality FRPs for Tyler Herro, and so far no one's willing to do it.
These deals don't happen over night... even if you and I can look and see all of what Miami can offer now. They have to shop Herro and see what's out there. Portland needs to tease some other offers out (something Dame and his agents are preventing). The sticking point could be Nurk's contract or something like that.

It takes time to get a look at what the fair offers are to determine how fair the offer is you are getting from Miami.

Was just about to say this. Imagine him as a 23-year old Clarkson with the same game as current Clarkson. Pretty good right?
Herro in a vacuum is a solid buy low opportunity I think (just like Simons might have been). My issue is just all the duplication we have. If we moved Sexton in the deal or maybe looping in Milwaukee... maybe I'm game. Starting Herro and JC is kinda weird... not sure either guy wants a bench role. It would just be a bit wonky to make the fit work.

Point Herro?

These deals don't happen over night... even if you and I can look and see all of what Miami can offer now. They have to shop Herro and see what's out there. Portland needs to tease some other offers out (something Dame and his agents are preventing). The sticking point could be Nurk's contract or something like that.

It takes time to get a look at what the fair offers are to determine how fair the offer is you are getting from Miami.

Well, yeah. The process is probably going to drag on all summer, maybe longer. Teams aren't going to overpay to acquire Tyler Herro just so Dame can go to Miami.

The problem is they can’t take on Nurkic without Miami having to send back Robinson which doesn’t help at all.

Well, yeah. The process is probably going to drag on all summer, maybe longer. Teams aren't going to overpay to acquire Tyler Herro just so Dame can go to Miami.
I'm not sure his value is as low as some might think it is. The contract isn't glorious but he's a good young player... might have some room to grow. Don't see an obvious taker but sometimes teams come out of the woodwork and surprise you.

Dame has been very complimentary toward the Jazz, the fans and the state for years, so, even if Miami is his top destination, I would hope he'd still be reinvigorated to potentially take the Jazz to their first-ever NBA title.

I don't see Dame as the type of player to hold an attitude because he didn't get the destination he wanted, even if it's not the most favorable situation for him (and he has to know this ain't FA).
This is really starting to irk me. Lillard has had multiple chances to enter free agency and go somewhere else. That's the whole point of free agency. On top of that, he signed an extension just one year ago. I have no problem with a player leaving a team in FA, but this whole, "I'm going to sign for as much money as legally possible, only to ask out in less than a year fad," is going to have some major unintended consequences for the players in future CBA negotiations.
With all due respect, I think this is an awful take- but that’s just my opinion of course.

I think it’s fair to say that since being drafted by Portland, Dame wanted to make it work in Portland. Badly. He wasn’t one of these starry eyed young players who get drafted by one of the smaller market teams in the NBA and almost immediately start plotting an escape with their agent in an attempt to land with a larger market team behind closed doors. Look at Donovan and even Hayward as perfect examples of what Dame isn’t.

Dame didn’t refuse contract extensions and enter free agency simply because he never wanted to leave. He wanted to stay in Portland and win in Portland. In the meantime, he made several All-NBA teams which inflated his earning potential. Was he supposed to be the first player in NBA history to say “No thanks, please don’t give me all that money.”?

I’m sure once Portland secured the #3 overall pick in this year’s draft, Dame and his management wanted to see what route Portland was going to take from there. Maybe Portland wanted to draft Scoot and start a rebuild, or maybe they tried to leverage the pick in a trade in order to bring in veteran talent and make one more run with Dame but the right offer never presented itself. Either way, once Scoot was selected and it was clear that the window of Portland contending during the Dame era was officially over, Dame had a decision to make.

In hindsight. if Dame is guilty of anything, it’s hanging in with Portland for too long. He should have made this demand 2-3 years ago, but I believe it’s because the dude genuinely wanted to only play for 1 team his entire career and win a title there. Now he’s on a compressed time schedule and is trying to force his way to a team that he feels presents his best chance to win a title in what little time he has left. Does that make him an *******? I certainly don’t think so but a lot of people are certainly gonna feel differently.