What's new

Dame Time

I think Dame broke the unspoken rules in that stars asking for a trade give their current team a list of preferable destinations. This allows the current team some leverage in their talks to get the best value. It's not perfect, but it's something.

By trying to hamstring his way to a single team, he pretty much forced Portland to clap back. Pity really.

Dame really in a lose, lose, lose situation.

Stay loyal and never win in portland... he's a career loser.

Don't sign the extension so he can make the team do deals like Lebron - no FA sign there cuz he is wavering or they are afraid to commit assets to a deal cuz he can just walk for nothing.

Sign and extension and ask them to build around you... when the best they can do is Jerami Grant and a bunch of guards in their early 20s you ask to go somewhere you can win - Eff outta here... you signed a contract.

And good hell imagine if he gets to FA then picks his destination... then he's a bandwagon dude.

I mean I ain't gonna cry for him cuz I get that he plays a game we all love and gets paid handsomely but damn... media and fans really want dudes to make horrible business decisions to have some say in the matter. Only way to make people happy is to win where you are drafted and pray the organization you work for doesn't suck.
Or, go into free agency, forgoing the security and boatloads of cash he gets for signing an extension and choose wherever the hell he wants to play.

He did NOT choose that option when it was presented.

I think Dame broke the unspoken rules in that stars asking for a trade give their current team a list of preferable destinations. This allows the current team some leverage in their talks to get the best value. It's not perfect, but it's something.

By trying to hamstring his way to a single team, he pretty much forced Portland to clap back. Pity really.
KD did this too... not that anyone likes KD anymore.

At a certain price point several GMs are likely willing to call Dame's bluff. DA would be one of them. I think Portland's other point where they lost some leverage is many times franchises want to keep their stars... Brooklyn was willing to just keep KD... DA positioned us the same way. Everyone knows Portland would like to move on. They are also just a directionless franchise... temporary owner... GM (who is maybe the only sympathetic figure here) is likely going to get canned when new ownership comes in... so he's in a really bad spot. Utah and Brooklyn always had at least two destinations... Portland hasn't made a credible case they would prefer to just keep Dame (they issued a statement but its fluff).

A few days ago when Dame made his trade request, I thought it was highly unlikely that he’d end up in Utah. As of today, I still find it highly unlikely because while Dame and his management have mishandled this situation, I don’t think enough damage has been done so long as Miami finds a 3rd team relatively soon and finds a way to get this done.

But…..

The longer this plays out, the more convoluted it gets and the more I think it could end up driving Portland to accept a Utah deal. Above all else, Danny Ainge is an opportunist, and a cunning one at that. If it gets to that point, Danny has so many assets at his disposal, he could land Dame with assets to spare and he can do it without a 3rd team.

Whether you’re a Jazz fan that wants Dame or not, I think it’s almost a no brainer that if this gets to a point where Danny can land Dame while keeping Lauri, Kessler, and enough assets to continue building for the future, he’s 100% going to do it, and to be honest, why shouldn’t he?

Or, go into free agency, forgoing the security and boatloads of cash he gets for signing an extension and choose wherever the hell he wants to play.

He did NOT choose that option when it was presented.
Yup all of us were so happy Gordon left us with nothing. No one here holds a grudge against him... he did it the right way and is always welcome back to this state with open arms.

A few days ago when Dame made his trade request, I thought it was highly unlikely that he’d end up in Utah. As of today, I still find it highly unlikely because while Dame and his management have mishandled this situation, I don’t think enough damage has been done so long as Miami finds a 3rd team relatively soon and finds a way to get this done.

But…..

The longer this plays out, the more convoluted it gets and the more I think it could end up driving Portland to accept a Utah deal. Above all else, Danny Ainge is an opportunist, and a cunning one at that. If it gets to that point, Danny has so many assets at his disposal, he could land Dame with assets to spare and he can do it without a 3rd team.

Whether you’re a Jazz fan that wants Dame or not, I think it’s almost a no brainer that if this gets to a point where Danny can land Dame while keeping Lauri, Kessler, and enough assets to continue building for the future, he’s 100% going to do it, and to be honest, why shouldn’t he?
Danny is the most patient man in the room. He will wait this out... we are probably like a couple months away from when Danny would strike is my guess. If it doesn't resolve in the next 45 days or so I think we kinda enter the chat for reals.

I was hoping we’d parlay the Philly pick into some other protected future first. If we used that with the Lakers’ pick, it’s house money.

That's just not true. Dude had a list of teams, albeit small, that he wanted to go to.
It was the Suns or the Heat. Suns had 2x the assets or more... it was functionally one team. If Dame expands his list to Miami or Phoenix... or LA (either team) then it doesn't change much at all.

I think Brooklyn/Boston/Utah will still make credible bids if interested. Boston may not want to give up Brown... and at that point they are functionally out of the running. Brooklyn is waiting on Donovan (its coming in the next 12-18 months... but might settle if the price is low. Utah... who knows.

It was the Suns or the Heat. Suns had 2x the assets or more... it was functionally one team. If Dame expands his list to Miami or Phoenix... or LA (either team) then it doesn't change much at all.

I think Brooklyn/Boston/Utah will still make credible bids if interested. Boston may not want to give up Brown... and at that point they are functionally out of the running. Brooklyn is waiting on Donovan (its coming in the next 12-18 months... but might settle if the price is low. Utah... who knows.
That's the catch. It did allow some competition to get a good deal. If Dame opened things up a bit, it's something. Otherwise, he can blow it out his arse.

That's the catch. It did allow some competition to get a good deal. If Dame opened things up a bit, it's something. Otherwise, he can blow it out his arse.
I don't really think it did... and no one was out there praising KD for giving Nets two teams to choose from... were just killing him for asking out. He also didn't name two teams to do them a favor... he did that cuz he had two teams he liked. Dame only has one.

What allowed Brooklyn the ability to get a good deal was being able to call KD's bluff and keep him and the Suns getting a new owner who gave up everything.

Blazers have 29 teams to choose from... 1 is preferred... its on them to convince the other 28 that Dame and his agent are posturing and for them to call his bluff... or at least to play along to get Miami to give up what they want.

Miami couldn't even put Herro in a deal at the time because of his extension... so the "threat" of Miami outbidding Phoenix did absolutely nothing to increase the offer they got.

I don't really think it did... and no one was out there praising KD for giving Nets two teams to choose from... were just killing him for asking out. He also didn't name two teams to do them a favor... he did that cuz he had two teams he liked. Dame only has one.

What allowed Brooklyn the ability to get a good deal was being able to call KD's bluff and keep him and the Suns getting a new owner who gave up everything.

Blazers have 29 teams to choose from... 1 is preferred... its on them to convince the other 28 that Dame and his agent are posturing and for them to call his bluff... or at least to play along to get Miami to give up what they want.
KD also bailed on the Thunder and the Warriors. Literally, the Nets bent over to give him everything before he just asked out. They were beating him up with due cause there.

KD also bailed on the Thunder and the Warriors. Literally, the Nets bent over to give him everything before he just asked out. They were beating him up with due cause there.
I don't disagree.. I'm not sure what it has to do with the current situation and Dame though. They willingly gave the keys to KD and Kyrie. They were a little lucky to come out the other side like they did.

I just don't think there are a lot of good potential suitors for Dame right now. IF he was 25 a bunch of teams would roll the dice. We will see who blinks I guess... would not want to be on Cronin's temporary seat in a staring contest with Pat Riley.

I'm sure DA at least tells Portland "hey I am not willing to make an offer you'd really consider right now... but I hate Pat Riley a lot... so before you settle let me know and I will present an offer that is at least a threat... may not be great but will be better than the Heat and I will even let you shop it back to them."

At that point Dame may go to Pat and turn the pressure back on him to stop being greedy.

I also think Nets might like the idea of using a pick or more to turn Simmons into Herro and the offer gets more palatable. If Miami puts all they can on the table its a fine offer.

Yup all of us were so happy Gordon left us with nothing. No one here holds a grudge against him... he did it the right way and is always welcome back to this state with open arms.

Gordon handled that whole thing about as poorly as he possibly could have, and yes, outside of Utah, no one cared a lick about what he did.
The thing about LIllard is that he is lighting the place on fire as he leaves and the rest of the NBA, outside of Miami, thinks he's being a duchenozzle.

As a Jazz fan, I don't really care if Portland suffers. I do know that if Players can sign extensions, then just treat the team's investment like a second chance at free agency, that will hit my team pretty hard. SO screw Dame and his agents. Wish them the worst if the force their way to Miami for two garbage picks and Tyler Herro.

And, at this point, even if Miami gets him at something that is just borderline robbery instead of outright, I wish their franchise the same misfortune that followed Hayward.

Gordon handled that whole thing about as poorly as he possibly could have, and yes, outside of Utah, no one cared a lick about what he did.
The thing about LIllard is that he is lighting the place on fire as he leaves and the rest of the NBA, outside of Miami, thinks he's being a duchenozzle.
So if Lillard just stays quiet... doesn't write a player tribune piece and then leaves Blazers with nothing that is better... nationally everyone will be cool with it just like how Lebron did it... oh wait. Leaving them with a couple unprotected picks and a couple prospects is lighting the place on fire? Damn... I wish Gordo would have lit this place on fire when he left.
As a Jazz fan, I don't really care if Portland suffers. I do know that if Players can sign extensions, then just treat the team's investment like a second chance at free agency, that will hit my team pretty hard. SO screw Dame and his agents. Wish them the worst if the force their way to Miami for two garbage picks and Tyler Herro.

And, at this point, even if Miami gets him at something that is just borderline robbery instead of outright, I wish their franchise the same misfortune that followed Hayward.
So you wish Dame breaks his leg in game 1. Wow.

I think maybe some here should just say they don't want a player to ever have their say on where they should play. Because no matter how they do it, it won't be good enough or the way they needed it to be done to be acceptable.

Fans - We want you to stay here no matter what... unless we trade you on a whim because we can get 101% of your current value to the franchise. Simultaneously we want you to be completely bought in and passionate about delivering us a championship. Please care about our laundry more than yourself at all times. TIA