What's new

Danny Ainge hired as CEO of basketball operations

Not crazy about this. It was always going to happen. But I wouldn't be surprised it it leads to Zanik finding another gig at some point, and he's the one who's really put this team together, the best team in the history of the franchise imo. Well, him and Lindsey.
I don’t know but I think we may be looking at this all wrong. I don’t think it’s Zanik so much as Snyder that’s in the hot seat. This is the guy that’s shown he’s not afraid to do the dirty work necessary to make a team better and take them to the next level. Smith knows what he has here, I don’t think 1st and second round playoff exits are going to be tolerated moving forward.

Finally a championship pedigree in the house. This dude won the Wooden MVP in college. He's tough as nails….he even tackled a cat named Tree Rollins that was maybe the biggest baddest cat before Shaq hit the scene.

My hope though is a kind of Pat Riley oversight role. Hearing Butler on the Reddick podcast about the culture in Miami and how involved Riley is. How successful that franchise has been. And our own Miami connection, not to mention the storied career in tinsel town; yeah, count me excited!

Last edited:
From Ryan and Ainge's press conference comments that I read, it sounds like the intent is to continue to have JZ do what he's doing. If my general impression of Ainge is correct, he is probably too arrogant and controlling to really just let JZ do his job.

We'll see, my impression might be way off.

I think it's safe to say that people at this level do not like having someone step on their toes...Whether that's someone under or below them on totem pole. I'm betting that everyone said nice things in MIL when JZ was passed over for the job, but the reality is that he's probably out of here soon just like he was out of MIL and DL was out of HOU when they passed him over for Morey.

There are a lot of things to criticize DL for, but I do think people take the positives for granted. I mean...we were championship favorites during the second round and pretty much the entire rotation was from the margins. It always amazed me how quick we were to overlook that or just chalk those acquisitions up to luck. At times it felt like we were weighing something like the Matt Thomas miss to trading for and drafting Donovan Mitchell. Insane to me lol. At the end of the day I think you have to look at how great of a shot we have to win championship this year and the same for last year. Even if he wasn't batting 100% you got to appreciate how rare the opportunity is to even have a shot at winning the title.

I don't really know what to think about JZ because we don't really know what he did or how much input he's had over the past couple of years. The cap debacle was really bad, for example, but was that really 100% Lindsey? It can't be right? I think everyone in the FO should hold some shame for that one. A lot of teams seem to have a dedicated cap guy, but I don't know who was for the Jazz. Seems like JZ was the first guy everyone talked to and he's good relationships, which makes sense because he was a player agent first.

Nothing that happened this summer gave me a strong opinion one way or the other. I think signing Gay had more to do with the existing great team and players than the GM. Whiteside was a great find, but I think our reputation as a winning team also had an impact on that one. But he deserves some credit there because a lot of people would have said no to Whiteside even if Whiteside was begging to be here. Ainge I'm uncertain on. It's been said that we're due for a lot of change in the near future, I hope he makes the right moves and doesn't almost make the right moves.
The last paragraph is why I think sometimes DL may have gotten lucky.... once you are good the other stuff is easier... so you shouldn't screw up that stuff. He did the hard part of getting the top tier talent (JZ had a role in that with Conley and Bogey by all accounts). Its the stuff where you go "what the hell?" that should have been easier to nail. Just like JZ taking Butler this year in the draft... do the obvious thing... don't draft two centers who can't shoot... take a shot at a wing or the obvious guy. Don't roll the full MLE out for a backup center with iffy health history for the feel goods... especially if the salary situation about to get iffy.

JZ did the obvious and kinda easy stuff this offseason... its an easier job than getting the all-stars in the door... do if DL was awesome why did he eff that stuff up so spectacularly?

I think DL is a great guy to have to build a culture and program... I think Houston or NO should consider bringing him in. I am not sure what to make of the last couple years of his tenure... was he lucky? did he get lazy? did he see the writing on the wall and say eff it?

Overall he left us soooooooo much better than he found us. So I thank him for his service.

I think it's safe to say that people at this level do not like having someone step on their toes...Whether that's someone under or below them on totem pole. I'm betting that everyone said nice things in MIL when JZ was passed over for the job, but the reality is that he's probably out of here soon just like he was out of MIL and DL was out of HOU when they passed him over for Morey.
probably... which sucks. There was one part of the press conference where Smith was like "if Ainge and Justin disagree they will bring the question to me..." Sooooooo who do we think Smith will side with.

JZ may not have a ton of options... he's interviewed for a lot of jobs. So maybe he will see that this could be good. Ainge might be a good big picture guy and might grease the wheels on some deals... JZ can indentify the best prospects and players etc. I'm going to try and be optimistic from now on... although Danny has a very punchable face.

Maybe I missed all the stories where everyone is singing his praises, but in recent years he's built up quite the reputation and that doesn't come from nothing. Some of it is probably overblown, sure, but there are not very many GM's that have a negative reputation for a variety of different reasons like Ainge does.
It sounds like you’re buying a lot of stock in the media buzz.

**** Danny Ainge
And **** all his bros.

**** all these line-toeing hip reporter wannabes. **** small ball anything, **** JC’s tattoos. **** all you stat junkies and **** your short memories! Yeah, **** FO apologists with hidden agendas. **** these dysfunctional insecure columnists!

So does anyone know if Ainge has been to all Jazz home games
Has he attended any practices
Has he been talking to players and coaches during season
How is he going to jump in here and start making big decisions before the trade deadline

It sounds like you’re buying a lot of stock in the media buzz.

Some of it is buzz, some of it isn't. It isn't buzz that players were bothered by the IT situation, that he says he "almost" made a good trade, or that he's made comments to diminish efforts that players make off the court. His reputation as someone who tries to rip everyone off is more media buzz, but that also comes from him actually ripping off teams in trades. All that talk kinda started when he fleeced BKN and created the infamous war chest. That's obviously something that looks good on his record, but it's not unreasonable to think that teams are extra careful when trading with him or that he asks for a lot in trades as reporting has suggested.

Apparently I'm missing a large spectrum of reporting that suggest the opposite, however, so maybe I'm wrong.

Some of it is buzz, some of it isn't. It isn't buzz that players were bothered by the IT situation, that he says he "almost" made a good trade, or that he's made comments to diminish efforts that players make off the court. His reputation as someone who tries to rip everyone off is more media buzz, but that also comes from him actually ripping off teams in trades. All that talk kinda started when he fleeced BKN and created the infamous war chest. That's obviously something that looks good on his record, but it's not unreasonable to think that teams are extra careful when trading with him or that he asks for a lot in trades as reporting has suggested.

Apparently I'm missing a large spectrum of reporting that suggest the opposite, however, so maybe I'm wrong.
I’ve said that I think Danny overplayed the “Players as assets” model of roster management, but to act like he’s just wildly out of phase with other GMs is silly.

The last paragraph is why I think sometimes DL may have gotten lucky.... once you are good the other stuff is easier... so you shouldn't screw up that stuff. He did the hard part of getting the top tier talent (JZ had a role in that with Conley and Bogey by all accounts). Its the stuff where you go "what the hell?" that should have been easier to nail. Just like JZ taking Butler this year in the draft... do the obvious thing... don't draft two centers who can't shoot... take a shot at a wing or the obvious guy. Don't roll the full MLE out for a backup center with iffy health history for the feel goods... especially if the salary situation about to get iffy.

JZ did the obvious and kinda easy stuff this offseason... its an easier job than getting the all-stars in the door... do if DL was awesome why did he eff that stuff up so spectacularly?

I think DL is a great guy to have to build a culture and program... I think Houston or NO should consider bringing him in. I am not sure what to make of the last couple years of his tenure... was he lucky? did he get lazy? did he see the writing on the wall and say eff it?

Overall he left us soooooooo much better than he found us. So I thank him for his service.

I don't think being good makes it easier to land Joe, Ingles, Niang, Clarkson or land Gobert and Mitchell in the first place. If anything, maybe you give Quin more credit for developing those guys....but the way we built a title favorite is pretty incredible when you take a step back and think about it.

I see why some of his moves are extremely bad and frustrating, but how does that hold up to drafting Gobert and Mitchell? He could have drafted 10 Dok's with the 27th pick, but if he also drafted Gobert with the 27th pick his draft record is extraordinarily good. It sucks to completely blow a late first round draft pick and probably have to pay even more down the line to undo it, but compare that to the consequences of not having a future HOF player....yeah it's not really close IMO. Btw, we can blame DL for making the Dok pick, but JZ is the one who picked up his option and we're going to be reminded of that mistake in a few months.

I get that there's a lot of luck involved, especially with the draft, but you've got to give credit for the moves they make. DL built this team with a series of several great moves. I don't think I necessarily believe that he's a great guy to build a team but not bring us to the finish line. I understand if he has to go because you wanted Quin more and they couldn't work together, but the moves that we need now and the moves we needed in the last couple of years are the moves he hit on. It would be killer if we found another Ingles/Royce, made a trade for a huge upgrade like JC, or found a key contributor with our limited draft assets.

Can't wait for the next racist outburst at a Jazz game and Danny to say he's never heard anything racist from a Utah fan in all his life so therefore it doesn't matter.

I’ve said that I think Danny overplayed the “Players as assets” model of roster management, but to act like he’s just wildly out of phase with other GMs is silly.

Sure, maybe it's overblown. But how many GMs have that reputation? I don't think Ainge is just unlucky that he has the rep he does.

That's just one of the bad reputations he has too...and maybe they're overblown too, but he developed those reputations for a reason. Some of those reasons are well publicized things that came straight from his mouth.

Sure, maybe it's overblown. But how many GMs have that reputation? I don't think Ainge is just unlucky that he has the rep he does.

That's just one of the bad reputations he has too...and maybe they're overblown too, but he developed those reputations for a reason. Some of those reasons are well publicized things that came straight from his mouth.
Honestly 90% of NBA fans can name like 5 GMs tops. Ainge is probably one that they know. Generally, if you get a shot at someone like that as an "afterthought" team, you should probably take it.

Sounds like we’re talking about more than his deal-making all of the sudden.

I’m not an Ainge fan. I just bristle at the idea that he’s on an island as far as deal-making practices or philosophy is concerned. Mostly because the reporting doesn’t support that idea.

I don't know how you're flipping this into me being outraged. You made a comment about "If we have to politics check everyone the Jazz do business with, we just need to trade Mitchell while he still has value. He's really not worth all that."

First, we don't need to politics check anyone. But we do need to character check people who are going to take high level positions in the organization. That's what I'm saying. For me Ainge would have failed the character section of my pre-hire checklist for many reasons, not the least of which was his comment about player activism.
He needs to paint you as hysterical in order to segue into the rest of his stance. Where do I see that rhetorical strategy employed ad nauseam? Hmm..