What's new

Danny Ainge hired as CEO of basketball operations

Found this really interesting from Tony Jones latest article. Sounds like no one is completely safe but Donovan, not even Rudy.

"The Jazz currently resemble a much more robust version of those Celtics, with veteran depth players who know their roles and how to fit together. It seems the bigger questions are whether they can keep the other key scorers around Donovan Mitchell healthy in the spring and if they can find a way to keep Rudy Gobert in the driver’s seat against playoff scheming. If the Jazz fall short of the conference finals for the sixth year of legitimate contention in a row, Ainge won’t be afraid to finally move Gobert or consolidate Utah’s depth for a more potent three-level playmaker."

Found this really interesting from Tony Jones latest article. Sounds like no one is completely safe but Donovan, not even Rudy.

"The Jazz currently resemble a much more robust version of those Celtics, with veteran depth players who know their roles and how to fit together. It seems the bigger questions are whether they can keep the other key scorers around Donovan Mitchell healthy in the spring and if they can find a way to keep Rudy Gobert in the driver’s seat against playoff scheming. If the Jazz fall short of the conference finals for the sixth year of legitimate contention in a row, Ainge won’t be afraid to finally move Gobert or consolidate Utah’s depth for a more potent three-level playmaker."
That would be incredibly stupid, considering that Gobert isn't the one getting exposed when he gets pulled out of the paint - everybody else is.

We are basically last year's Trailblazers without Gobert.

No, what the Jazz need to do is avoid people who say and do stupid things that make it clear that they are idiots and ***holes. Should be easy.
If you think that Danny Ainge's social stances are canceling level problematic, you are going to face a lot of disappointment in the coming years. He's not any more stupid that anyone else.

That would be incredibly stupid, considering that Gobert isn't the one getting exposed when he gets pulled out of the paint - everybody else is.

We are basically last year's Trailblazers without Gobert.
I've said that someone with an outside perspective like Ainge is good to not hang on to guys that the rest of the league wouldn't value (not that DL's shadow hangs over that much for guys like Oni or Udoka, but they're still here). But this is obviously the downside to that, in that we who have been following the team from this inside track have a certain (correct) narrative on Gobert that the rest of the league doesn't recognize. However, one would have to assume that Smith thinks more like us regarding Rudy (could be wrong) and that he'd at least have some awareness on Ainge's thinking regarding that issue.

This does feel like maybe he was brought in to do the thing we may need to do in 7-8 months. Well according to some people this is what we would "need" to do.

The Negatives: I'm now super nervous some of my favorites in the locker room may be going - including Quin Snyder. Danny is the guy got Doc Rivers to be a championship coach - and Doc has proven since that he can't do much without a Super Team.

The Positives: I can only assume that this deal is happening at this time, because ownership wants to make sure that we make the right deal or deals before the deadline - and get the assets that are going to put us over the top. They don't want to pay this deep into the luxury tax with no rings to show for it. That's the other positive it brings - the next time the Jazz have a free agent to recruit if DWade and DAinge are at the table - that's 6 championship rings on those fingers - that's something Utah has never had before.

Some valid points in here. A lot of deals get done on relationship, and a lot of deals don't happen based on relationship. Even DL hinted at this that he makes moves with people he's familiar with (more on this later). But everyone knows who Ainge is. He's not the quiet guy in the group, whether you like him or not. And a lot of people may hate that loud obnoxious guy who is a narcissist and has some level of popularity, but they will still interact with him, still invite him to the parties, and still be there to slap his hand when he's giving high fives. You'll definitely know what that guy wants, and at times you may desire what he has to offer, and it won't be hard to get that conversation initiated if you've got something he wants. DL, on the other hand, was more the quiet guy that doesn't carry a strong presence but that, way after the fact, people will tell you how much they respect him, but not that many people are talking to him. Back to us making repeated Cleveland trades... the Cleveland GM was a guy who was like 30. DL isn't fitting in the all the hot shots at the party so he goes and finds the other quiet nerd who will give him attention. It's kind of a Michael Scott move where he is ignored and on the outside with the heavy hitters, but uses Dwight as his backup to pump himself up. That's the vibe I got from all those repeat Cleveland deals.
Yep. This exactly. Deals don't get done over a phone call. Most have been warming up for weeks and months. You need to be in the club to be having those conversations on an ongoing basis, not hanging in the basement with Cleveland's GM.

That "basically saying" is doing a lot of work here.
It really isn't.

263506238_234054558859025_3787728342065898325_n.png

If you think that Danny Ainge's social stances are canceling level problematic, you are going to face a lot of disappointment in the coming years. He's not any more stupid that anyone else.
I'm addressing the stupid **** you said about upsetting Donovan Mitchel, and that instead of worrying about that we should get rid of him.

I wouldn't get rid of Donovan for 10 Danny ****ing Ainges and if it's because he said absolutely stupid **** about player activism then that's as good a reason as any. It isn't cancelling, it's making decisions based on a person's displayed character. That made Ainge look like the kind of person I wouldn't want working with the players on my team since he's expressed such a massive disregard for their understand and intelligence.

It really isn't.

263506238_234054558859025_3787728342065898325_n.png
Saying that he disregards their political opinions is not telling you that you have to as well. They aren't economists, policy experts, or, in most cases knowledgeable about foreign policy.

I think a better follow up would be to ask what players he does take seriously.

Saying that he disregards their political opinions is not telling you that you have to as well. They aren't economists, policy experts, or, in most cases knowledgeable about foreign policy.

I think a better follow up would be to ask what players he does take seriously.
last people on earth is super condescending.... Its a GM who works with basketball players for his job saying shut up and dribble.

I'm addressing the stupid **** you said about upsetting Donovan Mitchel, and that instead of worrying about that we should get rid of him.

I wouldn't get rid of Donovan for 10 Danny ****ing Ainges and if it's because he said absolutely stupid **** about player activism then that's as good a reason as any. It isn't cancelling, it's making decisions based on a person's displayed character. That made Ainge look like the kind of person I wouldn't want working with the players on my team since he's expressed such a massive disregard for their understand and intelligence.
You don't really know Ainge or Donovan. The fact you are out here being outraged on Donovan's behalf is part of a bigger problem. You don't have the right.

I would suspect that Donovan's largest concerns are professional, not crap he might read on Twitter. I could be wrong, but if Wade likes Ainge, it probably carries more weight than how you feel.

You are most certainly entitled to dislike who you dislike however without me telling you anything different though.

If we get a chip, it will be this year, and Ainge will likely have done 0 of the work and still get credit somehow.
If it’s because he signed Dunn then I’ll live with it.