What's new

Dante Exum Free Throw Attempts

Maybe mildly. I think it just highlights deficiencies in his game offensively. He needs to work on his ability to attack the rim. He doesn't look like he'll ever be the true slasher type, though.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...omp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=fta_per_mp

Exum has the lowest FTA per 36min of any teenager in NBA history ("qualified for for Minutes Per Game Leaderboard"). PRO TIP: All the players on the list are teenagers, so don't remind us that he is "only 19".

But I shouldn't be concerned about this right?

I am trying to be positive on this guy, but I knew that if I checked this (like you did) that it wouldn't be encouraging at all. Trey was horrible at getting to the line last year, and Exum is horrendous. Not a good ft shooter when he gets there. He's going to have to totally change his offensive game to fulfill his potential.

Compared to a couple of other Jazz rookies that eventually turned into great players:

Kirilenko (age 20): 6.2 FTA
Deron (age 21): 2.1 FTA

He is overpassing. Better than the opposite from your PG. He has shown he can get in the lane. I am not worried.

Be concerned all you want but its too early to be concerned. I'm assuming most of the players on that list had some glaring issues in their game that they had to rectify . Exum is no exception . He's so early in his development I don't think any of his stats tell us much about his future. I know just as much now as I did before the season started which is that he is from Australia.

Exum has been getting a lot better the last two or three games. He's actually been getting into the lane. He's had like 2 floaters (although missed) and a layup. That's not much at all, but that's a lot more than the beginning of the season. He's going to be getting into the lane more and more as the season progresses, and I would expect his FTA to go up too.

I'm absolutely think that this is a worrying stat. However, I've already seen improvement and I think he'll continue to improve.

I'm as concerned as anyone. But given his unique circumstances (hardly ever played against serious competition, severely lacking in strength, seems like a naturally careful player, etc), I've decided to keep my bitching about Exum to a minimum until the end of next season.

He is simply trying to run the offense the best he can, that is his number one priority right now. Learn the offense and run the plays, you can see that is what he concentrates on when on offense. The game is too fast for him right now and he is physically not ready for the NBA. Personally I think he is going to be a great NBA player he is just a slow developing. Plus the coaching staff is not letting him come into the game and do whatever he wants he is running their plays. This means he has to think about what he doing more and it makes him move and think slower. Unlike when he played in the U19 games and other places where he has looked really good. Someone should make a poll about Exum and whether or not they think he will be a bust or good player. Probably the same people who think Exum is a bust thought Hayward was way over paid and we should not have matched since he wasnt that good. But the stats say... I am 0% worried about Exum I think he is developing fine and will continue to progress and will be a solid starter in this league in 2-3 years.

Lower than Nikolos Tsikititititititiittishvili...
Wow...

I still love his game though.

Can we please stop making threads about worrying about Exum for at least a year or two. We all knew he was going to be a project and take at least 3-4 years to become what we're hoping he can become. He's half way into his first season with no college experience. I don't care what his age is, he needs time regardless. Unfortunately the Jazz aren't going to get superstars to come in FA, and aren't likely to get them in trades, so we'll just have to wait for them to develop.

Well his game right now consists of spot up three point jumpshots. Not going to get to shoot many that way. I just hope as he gets older he gets more aggressive. If so we will look back at this and wonder why we pancaked

Are the jazz hurting Exum's development playing him not only so many minutes but also having him go up against starters night in night out. He is driving less to the hoop now then when the season first started. I'm starting to think this is the case.

I still think back to Sloan benching Deron when his numbers started declining. Deron was sat down for a month or two and. When he was put back in the starting lineup he looked better then ever and had his best stretch of the year his rookie year. I think it might be good for him to sit and watch. Not sure how much he will learn completely failing night in night out like he's been doing the last few games.

Are the jazz hurting Exum's development playing him not only so many minutes but also having him go up against starters night in night out. He is driving less to the hoop now then when the season first started. I'm starting to think this is the case.

I still think back to Sloan benching Deron when his numbers started declining. Deron was sat down for a month or two and. When he was put back in the starting lineup he looked better then ever and had his best stretch of the year his rookie year. I think it might be good for him to sit and watch. Not sure how much he will learn completely failing night in night out like he's been doing the last few games.

I think for most of the season Quin has been putting Dante in a position to succeed. His most recent poor play may be due to physical and mental fatigue which to your point he may need to spend some time off the court to get his mind around things a little bit. I think this is where the Jamal Tinsley types become useful since I don't think Quin trusts Ian Clark at the point.

https://www.basketball-reference.co...omp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=fta_per_mp

Exum has the lowest FTA per 36min of any teenager in NBA history ("qualified for for Minutes Per Game Leaderboard"). PRO TIP: All the players on the list are teenagers, so don't remind us that he is "only 19".

But I shouldn't be concerned about this right?

It's a legit concern. I'll be more concerned after next season if we don't see a substantial (20%?) increase in said rate.

I'm as concerned as anyone. But given his unique circumstances (hardly ever played against serious competition, severely lacking in strength, seems like a naturally careful player, etc), I've decided to keep my bitching about Exum to a minimum until the end of next season.
I'm trying