What's new

Dante Exum - Jazz development plan

Litany

Found this very interesting.

@Tjonessltrib: Jazz in the market for another guard, but they fully, fully intend on playing Dante Exum in the rotation right away

@Tjonessltrib: They feel that the best way for Exum to develop is to throw him to the wolves.

Doesn't this pretty much show how stupid Lockes Oreo cookie theory is?

Excited they are taking this approach with Exum and I'm so happy that Lindsey and Snyder are in charge of this team now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkf

I believe in throwing them to the wolves but not necessarily with tons of minutes too fast. Use the minutes to evaluate, teach, and back in to implement. Rinse/repeat. I hate the idea of the bench teaching (except bad behavior).

Reactions: BTP
I need some big *** blanket statements on individual development without context. It wouldn't feel like home without them so please don't hold anything back guis.

Reactions: 8
The oreo cookie theory: If you put a oreo cookie into the milk for too long it becomes soggy and nasty but if you don't put it in long enough it doesn't absorb any milk and is just crunchy and dry.

If you play players too much too early, they are crushed by the weight of the NBA and they lose their confidence, but if you don't play them enough they never learn anything.

The oreo cookie theory: If you put a oreo cookie into the milk for too long it becomes soggy and nasty but if you don't put it in long enough it doesn't absorb any milk and is just crunchy and dry.

If you play players too much too early, they are crushed by the weight of the NBA and they lose their confidence, but if you don't play them enough they never learn anything.

I guess the adsorption option is out, right?

Wow. That's rich.

I believe in throwing them to the wolves but not necessarily with tons of minutes too fast. Use the minutes to evaluate, teach, and back in to implement. Rinse/repeat. I hate the idea of the bench teaching (except bad behavior).

Totally agree. I think with Exum his maturity stands out. He's self aware and there's very little risk he becomes Antoine Walker by overplaying him. So I'm all in on giving him as many minutes as he can shoulder.

@Tjonessltrib: Jazz in the market for another guard, but they fully, fully intend on playing Dante Exum in the rotation right away

@Tjonessltrib: They feel that the best way for Exum to develop is to throw him to the wolves.

Doesn't this pretty much show how stupid Lockes Oreo cookie theory is?

Excited they are taking this approach with Exum and I'm so happy that Lindsey and Snyder are in charge of this team now.

I forgot if it was Dennis Lindsay or Kevin O'connor but once Locke brought that oreo cookie theory into an interview and the person said to never bring up that analogy again. It is so stupid.

lol @ Locke. Every rookie of the year played a ton of minutes. How in the hell did any of them become good NBA players? Locke is such a moran.

No, that's Locke trying to defend how Corbin used anyone on a rookie contract.

And how many other teams do it as well. Most teams don't throw rookies to the wolves and those that do wish they had better options. Acting like this is about Ty or even about Sloan when he was here is total myopia. Very few rookies are NBA ready (there are a few) and very few coaches want to give rookies a lot of minutes.

@Tjonessltrib: They feel that the best way for Exum to develop is to throw him to the wolves

The real test comes if there ever is a moment a few months into the season where he is clearly getting out played by other possible guard options, the Jazz are dropping games right and left, and they still pump him minutes.

And how many other teams do it as well. Most teams don't throw rookies to the wolves and those that do wish they had better options. Acting like this is about Ty or even about Sloan when he was here is total myopia. Very few rookies are NBA ready (there are a few) and very few coaches want to give rookies a lot of minutes.
I would say that most coaches play thier best players the most.
Sometimes a teams best players consist of guys on rookie contracts.

For corbin (and sloan to an extent) they tended to just want to play veteran players rather than the best player.

No one can convince me that keith mcleod amd milt pilacio were ever better than deron williams...... even on derons first game of his career.

Raja, cj miles, josh howard, jamaal tinsley, earl watson, richard jefferson, and (too a lesser extent) randy foye all getting played ahead of a young and talented alec burks didnt make much sense.