What's new

Dante Exum re-signed

If this precludes us from keeping Rubio long-term, I'm rioting.
I really hope there was an option or two attached.

If this precludes us from keeping Rubio long-term, I'm rioting.
I really hope there was an option or two attached.

First, I applaud you for being an ex-Chargers fan as well. San Diego native here, **** Spanos.

Second, I think this extension gives the team max flexibility at the PG spot.

If Rubio kills it next year, and is firmly the starting PG, I don't think Dante's deal wouldn't preclude him from re-signing.
If Dante gets cranky about this and has a strong season, he would be a very tradeable young player on a great contract.
If Rubio has a mediocre year, and Dante kills it, maybe we let Rubio walk comfortable knowing we have a great starting PG with two years left on a team-friendly deal.

Oh my......some of you are acting like this is some huge contract. IT IS NOT. The matching value wasn't going to be that much lower, he has too much upside, and is barely older than Donovan. Jazz will have Burks contract coming off, can offload Favors, Ingles contract goes down year after year, hopefully this one does too. This should not preclude the Jazz from resigning Rubio.

Oh my......some of you are acting like this is some huge contract. IT IS NOT. The matching value wasn't going to be that much lower, he has too much upside, and is barely older than Donovan. Jazz will have Burks contract coming off, can offload Favors, Ingles contract goes down year after year, hopefully this one does too. This should not preclude the Jazz from resigning Rubio.

He hasn't played a full season since his rookie year.

But I'm with Grimmetal on this. If this cost us Rubio, if he is really the slick Rick we had at the end of last season, I'm leading the riot.

Worth overpaying in order to retain him imo as I still view him as a key piece. He obviously hasn't developed as quickly as originally hoped due to injuries but the tools are def still there & his mental approach/confidence seems to have improved greatly since entering the league.

Imo it's only a matter of time & health before he becomes a starting caliber player. And he has the potential to be much more imo. Glad we were able to keep him at a reasonable price, excited to watch him continue to develop.

I thought he should get $28M or $29M over 3 years. This isn't a big deal.

If Exum pans out, he'll be a great value and a good asset to keep. The Jazz now have a lot of quality depth and flexibility to improve the roster through trades or free agency.

Exum and Mitchell could still end up being our best backcourt of the future, offensively and defensively.

He hasn't played a full season since his rookie year.

But I'm with Grimmetal on this. If this cost us Rubio, if he is really the slick Rick we had at the end of last season, I'm leading the riot.
You'd also lead the riot if they let him leave and he panned out good for someone else I'm sure. This should not affect signing Rubio. It's a risk and reward contract for sure......but the reward could be very good if hes healthy.

You'd also lead the riot if they let him leave and he panned out good for someone else I'm sure. This should not affect signing Rubio.

I hope. To succeed, Dante is going to have to work on his shot quite a bit. Same with Favors. I doubt not his potential. But I question his ability to remain healthy. I really hope I'm proven wrong there.

Favors and Exum got a little too much per year, but that's not a big deal. I think Exum will never reach his full potential, but he can get close.

This was mentioned a bit, but I think the Jazz learned from the Hayward situation and are trying to show loyalty to their talent
by giving them a little extra. This makes them more likely to stay, stay happy, and shows other players and agents that you get
a good deal signing with Utah.

Here's the Jazz salary breakdown/not completely up to date obviously https://hoopshype.com/salaries/utah_jazz/

They'll have plenty of money to unload if need be, and will likely choose to not pick up Favs 2nd year to re-sign Rubio if need be. Re-signing Rubio if he's that important in a year is not even a question IMO. The Jazz can make it happen and it won't even be a question they can make it happen. That's the benefit of a lot of these contracts DL has signed, he leaves flexibility.

Favors and Exum got a little too much per year, but that's not a big deal. I think Exum will never reach his full potential, but he can get close.

This was mentioned a bit, but I think the Jazz learned from the Hayward situation and are trying to show loyalty to their talent
by giving them a little extra. This makes them more likely to stay, stay happy, and shows other players and agents that you get
a good deal signing with Utah.

Good point about showing others what they've learned from Hayward. I made that same point with Favors. I need to remember that.

It should be noted to that Exum's deal expires when Donovan comes due, worst case scenario.

I just got off work and heard Monson on the radio asking if we paid too much but I never got the details. Not going to lie I was a little aggravated wondering how much we paid him. Came straight here when I got home and I feel better. Still an overpay but nothing crippling.

For the love of God just stay healthy please.

I’m not overly concerned about these contracts, I know the salary cap will go up. If it were not for the salary cap I wouldn’t care how much players get, I’d think the more the better. I think though, that if the jazz are going to bid against themselves and overpay, they should restructure Royce and give him a raise.

worst case he just becomes the new burks contract after next year lol. not thrilled about the $ but whatever. could be a good trade chip tbh if he ends up being good