What's new

Dante Exum: shoulder injury

Exum's gonna have potential for a long while I think. He's got rare quickness and playmaking ability for a guy his size. Just has always severely lacked the skills and strength. He's Slowly working his way there. Hopefully he keeps working and another potentially serious injury doesn't diminish his desire.

Exum has been quite bad. I'm not overly discouraged tho. He was drafted for his physical gifts and potential playmaking ability, not for his glue guy m.o. and well-rounded game. He's always been best ball in hand making plays. Very, very few 18-19-20 year olds dudes are going to be efficient, primary playmakers for teams in the NBA, even fewer will be doing it for playoff teams or teams fighting for the playoffs. The fact that he was a perimeter player who sucked at shooting the ball and scoring from essentially anywhere on the floor made him a pretty poor offball option so it's no wonder he didn't play much and sucks. A rail-thin guard with virtually no skills having success in the NBA... proabably ain't gonna happen.

His rookie year he saw the floor more cuz he really focused on the only thing he could do well - he played great defense. He would a Probabaly played more last season if he played d like he had his rookie year.

I just think exum's gonna turn into a totally legit 2 way playmaker without ever being a great offensive player up to that point. Once his skills are up to snuff he'll be ready to make plays. Basically, I don't think he will bring much to the table offensively at all until he can be a primary playmaker, but he might be getting close, at least, he undoubtedly is getting closer.

Or he'll never gain many bball skills and his body naturally fills out and he becomes a journeyman wing player.

Exum's gonna have potential for a long while I think. He's got rare quickness and playmaking ability for a guy his size. Just has always severely lacked the skills and strength. He's Slowly working his way there. Hopefully he keeps working and another potentially serious injury doesn't diminish his desire.

Exum has been quite bad. I'm not overly discouraged tho. He was drafted for his physical gifts and potential playmaking ability, not for his glue guy m.o. and well-rounded game. He's always been best ball in hand making plays. Very, very few 18-19-20 year olds dudes are going to be efficient, primary playmakers for teams in the NBA, even fewer will be doing it for playoff teams or teams fighting for the playoffs. The fact that he was a perimeter player who sucked at shooting the ball and scoring from essentially anywhere on the floor made him a pretty poor offball option so it's no wonder he didn't play much and sucks. A rail-thin guard with virtually no skills having success in the NBA... proabably ain't gonna happen.

His rookie year he saw the floor more cuz he really focused on the only thing he could do well - he played great defense. He would a Probabaly played more last season if he played d like he had his rookie year.

I just think exum's gonna turn into a totally legit 2 way playmaker without ever being a great offensive player up to that point. Once his skills are up to snuff he'll be ready to make plays. Basically, I don't think he will bring much to the table offensively at all until he can be a primary playmaker, but he might be getting close, at least, he undoubtedly is getting closer.

Or he'll never gain many bball skills and his body naturally fills out and he becomes a journeyman wing player.

This is exactly how I feel. He may have been developing enough counters and options to start being effective. It looked like it was happening, and that his 3 point shot could at least be league average this season. That's really all he needs with his athleticism, defense, and passing ability. I was really encouraged by his decision-making so far. I really hope this isn't as serious as it seems.

Going by the tone of the players tweets I'm expecting out for the season / MKG type scenario. Can't ****ing believe it ... what kind of ****ing moron tries to make a play like that in preseason.

Gutted for Dante. Really liked what I saw in SL and the other two pre-season games.

The positives from this gut punch are that at least Burks has looked really good. Playing time will increase.
We have DMitch who needs time. We have a really deep team so this injury hurts Dante and his development more than our W/L total.
and I'm hoping he is back for our playoff stretch. Could be the X factor, yep pun intended.

I'm hoping for the best with Dante, but expecting the worst. His teammates sounded really down. I'm assuming Dante will be out for some time. Lets just hope he fully heals and is back for our monster play off run!

Get well Dante.

Going by the tone of the players tweets I'm expecting out for the season / MKG type scenario. Can't ****ing believe it ... what kind of ****ing moron tries to make a play like that in preseason.

Dislocations look freaky though.
They're not basing this on MRI info right?

Dislocations look freaky though.
They're not basing this on MRI info right?

It will depend on the direction in which it dislocates and the damage to ligaments, joint and nerves. My pal who had his bike accident tore all the ligaments and crushed the nerves (he got thrown in front of an oncoming car.) he's going through hell. I'm hoping this won't be too bad, there isn't a huge amount of momentum involved in the impact, if its a minor dislocation, and i'm really hoping it is, he might only miss 4-6 weeks.

This is a real gut punch for the Jazz if he is out for longer than a few weeks. No other way to spin this. Really a sucky situation for Dante, the Jazz, the fans and all parties involved due to a fluky play in a preseason game. I loved what I saw out of Exum in the summer league and in these first few preseason games. Confidence and experience oozed out of him. Let's pray it's not serious!!

I don't just feel bad for Exum, I feel bad for us and the Jazz. The team loses a lot of potential and depth with Exum's absence.

It sucks for Dante and yes it hurts the team but people have forgotten Burks. He has played well in preseason and this opens playing time for him. The PG depth is hurt but Jazz have plenty of SGs who can handle the ball for short amounts of time. Neto is fine in a backup role too.

I just feel sorry for Dante because it was obviously that he is finally growing up and ready to fulfill his potential when this happens. For all you fans who are calling him a bust especially right after he is hurt, there are no words to express how disgusting your comments are.

According to the Tribune he has suffered ligament damage and could miss significant time. No word on surgery yet.