What's new

Dante Exum: shoulder injury

Particularly with him coming off a huge injury. Can anyone point to an example of a team overpaying to sign away an oft injured young player that hasn't proven anything in the league?

I mean, don't get me wrong I like Dante and think he has the potential to be a special player, but why would a GM take that kind of risk? It just doesn't make sense.

Sent from my SM-G935V using JazzFanz mobile app

Mavs gave Wes Mathews a big contract after an achilles but I can see your point.

DLpJMk7VYAA_Z1k.jpg

People want to give him 10 million a year for 4 years on this board? If a team offers him that, you let him walk. I'm thinking, at best, a 1 + 1 player option. He's going to miss ANOTHER full year of basketball. He's probably 1 injury away from no one even looking at him sadly

People want to give him 10 million a year for 4 years on this board? If a team offers him that, you let him walk. I'm thinking, at best, a 1 + 1 player option. He's going to miss ANOTHER full year of basketball. He's probably 1 injury away from no one even looking at him sadly

1. He just turned 22.
2. Dante is by all accounts a good kid. Let's show some loyalty and faith by giving him money and assuming he won't get hurt.

I wouldn't be opposed to giving Dante an extension but it was pups have to be at a steep discount... pre-injury his market may have been 4/40, so maybe I'd go 4/28 with the last year a team option.

None of it has to do with being loyal or him being a good kid. Just I think it could be a bargain when he gets back.

This injury is not career ending and nowhere near as catastrophic as the knee injury.

lol, what many things he sacrificed? Did not go to university to become an accountant? or engineer? You guys are so out of touch. Any of you would give your current career just to have what Dante has now, don't even lie to yourself. Get paid guaranteed millions for playing a game + 5 month paid vacation. Sounds like a dream to me.

Don't take this the wrong way MVDouche but you are coming across as an envious heartless ****. Just because someone has money they don't go thru emotional & personal struggles ?
And you really think these guys don't give up a lot and sacrifice to get to where they are ?? Kk

just rejoining this topic, so is he out for the year then?

Last I heard they're going thru the process of getting a couple more opinions to see if here's any posssible course of action that doesn't involve losing the whole season. I'm assuming the initial advice was surgery which means out for season.

I don't know how much you know about shoulders, but I have always thought and read that AC separations are far more dangerous nowadays than a dislocation. In fact, some players with dislocations come back same game and play after a dislocation. Not the same joint, but remember when Wade dislocated Rondo's elbow in the finals, and Rondo was only out for like 5 minutes?
Not true. Every case is different but shoulder dislocations are typically much more serious than ac separation.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Fwiw, the entire city of Houston is collectively depressed after the Watt injury. Its like if John Stockton had gone down with a career ending injury in his prime. Sucks to see Dante go down but watching everyone around me crestfallen really puts his injury in perspective.

They have no say in it. Unless they give Dante what he wants.

Inigo Montoya must be rubbing off on you in stating the obvious. Nobody is saying Utah can force him not to take the QO.

Like I have posted before, Utah will take some risk with an overpay, with the idea that Dante will live up to his contract, in order to avoid Dante becoming unrestricted in one year. And Dante, who has now suffered 2 serious injuries, is not going to turn down 35-40 million to gamble on more money. He just watched George Hill get torched by turning down money, and the entire league is aware of what happened with Noel.

Last edited:
All I know is that when you have a dream and your path is blocked, it is not easy and can be painful, and some people never overcome the obstacles. As to say his injury is not career-ending, I think you fail to realize that it is troubling. It is the second major injury in Dante's short career. It could be a sign that he will not endure in the NBA. Injuries take their toll. Look at AK47. What many don't realize is the series of many small injuries he had that gradually affected him and short-changed his career. By the time of his retirement, he was only the shell of his former athletic self. It's easy to criticize someone, but if you have not had similar experiences, it's not fair to judge.

Wtf, Cappy Smurf, you are such a Dante homer that even when I am supporting him, you dislike it because you don't want to hear the realities of his situation.

Let me get this straight. I'm not talking about personality or anything like that. Let's just leave his name out and consider this.

People want to give someone (COULD BE ANYONE for this example):

1. Has career averages of 20 mins, 5 pts, 2 assists, shoots 38% from the 2 and 30% form the 3.
2. Has had multiple injuries (basically made of glass).
3. Doesn't look like a leader at all.
4. Has almost as many turnovers per assists.
5. Averages 1 rebound in 20 minutes of play.
6. Looks like a lost puppy the majority of the time playing.

and people want to give this guy 10 million a year? Doesn't matter where someone was drafted. Someone please make sense to me why other than "He's only 22 LOL." or "He has potential."

Most people would give someone the vet minimum with those points.

Reactions: MVP
I wouldn't be opposed to giving Dante an extension but it was pups have to be at a steep discount... pre-injury his market may have been 4/40, so maybe I'd go 4/28 with the last year a team option.

None of it has to do with being loyal or him being a good kid. Just I think it could be a bargain when he gets back.

This injury is not career ending and nowhere near as catastrophic as the knee injury.

They might get him that cheaply, but if they do, I think it will be because they let him go to FA and then matched someone else's offer sheet. If they decide to try and avoid that situation, I think he'll get a little more. I said 8-10 million, so that's 32-40 million, which isn't that far off.

Let me get this straight. I'm not talking about personality or anything like that. Let's just leave his name out and consider this.

People want to give someone (COULD BE ANYONE for this example):

1. Has career averages of 20 mins, 5 pts, 2 assists, shoots 38% from the 2 and 30% form the 3.
2. Has had multiple injuries (basically made of glass).
3. Doesn't look like a leader at all.
4. Has almost as many turnovers per assists.
5. Averages 1 rebound in 20 minutes of play.
6. Looks like a lost puppy the majority of the time playing.

and people want to give this guy 10 million a year? Doesn't matter where someone was drafted. Someone please make sense to me why other than "He's only 22 LOL." or "He has potential."

Most people would give someone the vet minimum with those points.

Why do you pay 6-8 million a year to 19 year olds that have never played a minute of professional basketball?

Contracts are gambles and if you pay attention rarely represent present value, especially in players so young. Throwing away the fact that he is young and has potential is being ignorant.

Why do you pay 6-8 million a year to 19 year olds that have never played a minute of professional basketball?

Contracts are gambles and if you pay attention rarely represent present value, especially in players so young. Throwing away the fact that he is young and has potential is being ignorant.

Because you have to if they are a high pick.

Wtf, Cappy Smurf, you are such a Dante homer that even when I am supporting him, you dislike it because you don't want to hear the realities of his situation.

I disagree with the idea you label somebody injury prone over a freak accident. Dante could have been in a car accident and some fans would be calling him injury prone. Good for you for supporting him, but I dislike your post. Don't worry though, I dislike other people's posts, and they all seem to get over it, so I think you'll be ok. If not, I'm afraid you might be prone to oversensitivity, which means you might not last as a Jazzfanz poster.

Because you have to if they are a high pick.

I mean same logic basically. If the open market dictates your player is worth more than his current value than that is what you pay.

To make this clear I am by no means saying we should extend Exum at that number. The risk of a large contract going Exum's way is so small that the Jazz can sit on their hands and see what happens. I'm saying I could see that being an offer sheet Exum does obtain.

From what I've heard x is going to need the 6 month surgery period. He can postpone it but it'll have to be done eventually.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk