What's new

Dante Exum vs. Zach Lavine

AlaskanAssassin

Watching summer league highlights from a few intriguing summer league rookies left me amazed at the reel for Zach Lavine. I found myself comparing him to Exum, and wondering how their careers will pan out. They are both 19 (Zach is 3 months older), have very similar measurables, and both right now are considered potential point guards in SG bodies.

Here are their reels. It's hard to justify Exum over LaVine based off this video (I know, it's Summer League. What else can we talk about?) Also, UCLA has a history of producing players that are better in the NBA than they were in college.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKOZksZcZ_Y

There are certainly going to be concerns about his attitude/behavior after the draft video of him swearing about being drafted by Minnesota. I'm happy we have Exum, but I think LaVine will be the steal of the draft.

Lavine has pretty poor passing instincts and settles for jumpers way too much. Reminds me a lot of JR Smith or Gerald Green. Not necessarily a bad prospect, but his bbiq is nowhere near Exum's.

I am very, very, very happy with the Exum pick.

Having said that, I was also really high on Lavine, and made several posts advocating making a trade to get him (bunch of different scenarios).

I think that Minnesota's future is a lot brighter than people realize. For Love, they get Wiggins, Bennett and a 2015 draft pick. W/O Love, they will add another top 5 pick next year.

Rubio
Lavine
Wiggins
Bennett (could be a lot better than 2013-14)

Could be solid pieces to build with. All star potential with Wiggins and Lavine. Their own draft pick next year, coupled with the Cavs pick could net them another really good prospect.

I am very, very, very happy with the Exum pick.

Having said that, I was also really high on Lavine, and made several posts advocating making a trade to get him (bunch of different scenarios).

I think that Minnesota's future is a lot brighter than people realize. For Love, they get Wiggins, Bennett and a 2015 draft pick. W/O Love, they will add another top 5 pick next year.

Rubio
Lavine
Wiggins
Bennett (could be a lot better than 2013-14)

Could be solid pieces to build with. All star potential with Wiggins and Lavine. Their own draft pick next year, coupled with the Cavs pick could net them another solid player.

They are getting Thad Young instead of Bennett.

Oh?

Well, that's probably even better for them.

https://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20140808_Source__Sixers_in_Cavs-Wolves_trade.html

"While news came out yesterday that Minnesota and Cleveland had agreed in principle to a trade that will send All-Star Kevin Love to the Cavaliers for Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a first-round draft pick, the Daily News has learned that the Sixers will, indeed, be involved in the deal.

A source informed the Daily News that the Sixers will be sending veteran forward Thaddeus Young to Minnesota for a package that will include Bennett, the No. 1 pick in the 2013 NBA draft.

The deal, which two sources have confirmed to the Associated Press, will not be official until Aug. 23, when Wiggins, this year's No. 1 draft pick, becomes eligible to be traded.

It has been reported that Minnesota sees Young as the right guy to fill Love's shoes. The Timberwolves, it has been reported, could use the first-round pick they get from the Cavaliers to help entice the Sixers to part with the 26-year-old Young, but that has not been confirmed."

Good post btw, I think the 76ers have equally as good players as well.

Carter-Williams, Noel, Bennett, Embiid, Saric, their 2015 1st round pick, etc.

Lavine has pretty poor passing instincts and settles for jumpers way too much. Reminds me a lot of JR Smith or Gerald Green. Not necessarily a bad prospect, but his bbiq is nowhere near Exum's.

Did you watch the video? I certainly saw better vision from LaVine!! (Granted, it's Summer League). There were multiple passes to Fesenko that were outstanding, and he showed a propensity to swing the ball when appropriate. They both averaged 2.8 apg in summer league. I don't think we can judge either of these guy's BBIQ yet.

Lavine may be the better scorer. Exum is quicker and has better IQ. What makes Exum special and more valuable is his size and quickness for the PG position. Lavine is really a SG in the mold of a young Brent Barry.

What makes you say that? Could a similar argument be made for Exum definitely being a SG?

I'm not the person you're addressing, but...

No, because Exum can't shoot. Lavine has a pretty promising jumper. Lavine, while having the ability to make some nice passes, hasn't yet proven he should run the offense. A lot of SG's can pass, but aren't really PG's. Every player should be able to pass. PG's are the ones who can be coaches on the floor. They see the whole game, not just a play here and there.

Love Lavine though. Definitely not a knock on him, nor on Exum. I am just pretty certain one has the character to be a PG, while the other is better suited to be an SG.

Watching summer league highlights from a few intriguing summer league rookies left me amazed at the reel for Zach Lavine. I found myself comparing him to Exum, and wondering how their careers will pan out. They are both 19 (Zach is 3 months older), have very similar measurables, and both right now are considered potential point guards in SG bodies.

Here are their reels. It's hard to justify Exum over LaVine based off this video (I know, it's Summer League. What else can we talk about?) Also, UCLA has a history of producing players that are better in the NBA than they were in college.

There are certainly going to be concerns about his attitude/behavior after the draft video of him swearing about being drafted by Minnesota. I'm happy we have Exum, but I think LaVine will be the steal of the draft.

That is reppable.

Also, his favorite artist is Chief Keef.

And what is he an artist of?

keefead01-181x181.jpg

I agree with Vermin 100%. Lavine is NOT a PG nor ever will be. Exum is a SG that WILL BE a PG. There's your proof.

I'm not exactly sure how this is "proof," but I don't see any specific skill that Exum has that makes him a potential PG that LaVine does not have. Someone suggested his character, but I think it's too early to suggest that for either one of them.

I do think that Utah will provide more opportunities for Exum to play PG than LaVine will get in Minnesota due to Rubio being there. However, if Russell Westbrook can play "PG", so can LaVine.

I'm not exactly sure how this is "proof," but I don't see any specific skill that Exum has that makes him a potential PG that LaVine does not have. Someone suggested his character, but I think it's too early to suggest that for either one of them.

I do think that Utah will provide more opportunities for Exum to play PG than LaVine will get in Minnesota due to Rubio being there. However, if Russell Westbrook can play "PG", so can LaVine.

Exum's passing ability is WAY better than Lavine's, imo.

I would LOVE to see empirical proof of Lavine having any leader qualities (for an NBA team) or PG type instincts. They're not there. He's much like Burks. Could.. but no.