What's new

Dante Exum vs. Zach Lavine

I would LOVE to see empirical proof of Lavine having any leader qualities (for an NBA team) or PG type instincts. They're not there. He's much like Burks. Could.. but no.

I'm going to change my name to PointGod_ZachLaVine.

Exum's passing ability is WAY better than Lavine's, imo.

I don't understand how you could come to that conclusion from watching some YouTube clips of Exum playing HS ball in Australia and a few Summer League games. If you are suggesting that because scouts and ESPN analysts are saying it, fine, but I don't see how you have determined that based off of our limited video on these guys.

I'm not suggesting LaVine is the 2nd coming of Steve Nash, rather that he could possibly play PG similar to the way John Wall or Westbrook play.

I don't understand how you could come to that conclusion from watching some YouTube clips of Exum playing HS ball in Australia and a few Summer League games. If you are suggesting that because scouts and ESPN analysts are saying it, fine, but I don't see how you have determined that based off of our limited video on these guys.

I'm not suggesting LaVine is the 2nd coming of Steve Nash, rather that he could possibly play PG similar to the way John Wall or Westbrook play.

I'm hoping that you realize that John Wall is a phenomenal PG and creator.

Westbrook is good, no doubt, but he's not half the shot-creator (for others) that Wall is.

Moronic comparison.

If you're going to compare LaVine to a PG, the more applicable player would be Burks, and Burks is a better PG (and he's not a very good PG).

Lavine looks impressive from his highlights, but it could be a case of the grass is always greener... I am luke warm towards Exum and think he will take at least two years to even start showing how effective he will be. His BBIQ is incredible for his age. Minnesota should be exciting to watch at least.

Lavine looks impressive from his highlights, but it could be a case of the grass is always greener... I am luke warm towards Exum and think he will take at least two years to even start showing how effective he will be. His BBIQ is incredible for his age. Minnesota should be exciting to watch at least.

A.d.d. much?

I'm hoping that you realize that John Wall is a phenomenal PG and creator.

Westbrook is good, no doubt, but he's not half the shot-creator (for others) that Wall is.

Moronic comparison.

If you're going to compare LaVine to a PG, the more applicable player would be Burks, and Burks is a better PG (and he's not a very good PG).

I realize the video I posted is 9 minutes long, but I suggest actually watching it. LaVine shows much greater passing skills and vision than I have ever seen out of Burks.

I was high on both Lavine and Exum going into the draft, so I hope both of them succeed. Not much else to add so here's an insane video of Lavine's dunks at a pro-am

[video]https://instagram.com/p/q-RFlQnNrD/

I realize the video I posted is 9 minutes long, but I suggest actually watching it. LaVine shows much greater passing skills and vision than I have ever seen out of Burks.

You are hell bent on making something out of nothing huh? Exum and Lavines careers have both been defined by 6 and 9 minute highlight videos in summer league. Time to ship Exum out cuz he suxxx.

Haha, hypocrite much?

The difference between both is simple

LaVine
'+'
-verticality
-shooter

'-'
-character
-decisionmaking

Exum:

'+'
-speed
-finishing
-decisionmaking
-character

'-'
-strength
-shooting

Reactions: ema
Good post BTP.. but I just see them completely differently from one another.

Also, I bet a few here will disagree/debate your character assessments.

I know everyone is talking about Lavine, but one thing I like about Exum that reminds me of another rookie - Marcus Smart - is that both players are opportunists. They make smart plays that create easy points and they know how to take advantage of the other team's weakness.

Couple this with Exum's quick first step and court vision and we have an exciting, effective player.

A lot of people compare Smart to Wade and I can see some Wade in Exum - both Exum and Smart have a knack at driving to the basket and scoring. They all rebound well also (granted, Exum is taller). And as Exum gains strength he's only going to get stronger and finish better.

Exum is a hybrid. That's why he's compared to guys like Penny Hardaway.

Once Exum is in the rotation we will see games where both he and Hayward are 16-5-5 players, stat-wise.

The difference between both is simple

LaVine
'+'
-verticality
-shooter

'-'
-character
-decisionmaking

Exum:

'+'
-speed
-finishing
-decisionmaking
-character

'-'
-strength
-shooting

I'd call strength a draw, Exum has 15 lbs on him and is the same height. I would give Lavine a + for conditioning though, it was a clear problem for Exum in SL.