What's new

David Locke takes call during interview on 1280

JFFR

Did anyone else hear this? I can't believe the guy. Has he followed up or apologized? Is his son okay?

No, i didn't hear this.

But really? Who cares. Welcome to the modern age when everyone has cell phones. He gets a lot of his info from phone calls, so he answers them. I am not offended.

Yesterday I was driving home and listening to the Big Show (Spence Checketts and Gordon Monson.) They called up David Locke to ask him about Media Day. He was on for about 10 minutes when Gordon asked him a question and Locke responded with something like, "I'm sorry, I'm getting another call and I missed the question, could you repeat it?" Monson responded in a somewhat annoyed/incredulous tone with, "Do you need to take this call David?" and Locke said, "Its my son, I'll call you guys back." To which Spence responded with, "Don't bother." Spence didn't comment on it any further, he just asked Gordon a question and they began talking about Big Al's inability to play defense.

I listen to a lot of AM radio, from time to time cell phone calls get dropped. It's annoying but it's life. A few weeks ago someone was hyping up a call to Patrick Ewing and then they couldn't get ahold of him...I thought that was probably very embarrassing for the guy who did the show. But I've never heard anyone take a call during the middle of the interview. I'm just curious if David Locke has explained himself.

Did anyone else hear this? I can't believe the guy. Has he followed up or apologized? Is his son okay?

If my daughters call me I answer it no matter what I am doing. They come first and it is that simple.

If my daughters call me I answer it no matter what I am doing. They come first and it is that simple.

I appreciate the comment. I don't have kids yet, so I don't have the same perspective. I've been thinking it over in my head. I think it depends on how often your kids call you. When I was growing up I called my dad at work maybe two or three times a year, but I had friends who called their dad every day when they got home from school.

I appreciate the comment. I don't have kids yet, so I don't have the same perspective. I've been thinking it over in my head. I think it depends on how often your kids call you. When I was growing up I called my dad at work maybe two or three times a year, but I had friends who called their dad every day when they got home from school.
We have a friend whose children call her constantly. It's annoying when you hear her say something like, "there's fruit and peanut butter and jelly in the refrigerator."

As for Locke, I know he's got some much-needed BB IQ (judging from what others have said about Utah radio guys), but his media day interviews were just annoying. His high-pitched laugh is irritating, as are his questions which lead off in 100 different directions...except for talk about basketball. You could condense almost all his interviews into 30-second sound bytes and glean whatever info you really want. Instead, you're left tearing your hair out for 8 mins each time.

I got through 3 interviews yesterday and learned it's moose mating season, and Locke has offered to give someone's daughter skiing lessons (at least that's what I thought he said). I was only half-listening until I'd hear something actually related to basketball.

This.
I understand being professional and all, but if a family member calls, your mind is going to be obsessed with what might be up if you dont take the call anyway. I will always take that call.

I guess it depends on your kids. If they are the type to call all the time for everyday issues then I think it's ok to call right back.
If they rarely call I could see how you'd be more inclined to take the call on air.

You can still do things as a parent though. I have explained to my girls when I am working. That if they call me during those times it better be truly important or it can wait till I'm off. But if they call I answer.

It is unproffesional but they come first. I personally make no bones about it.

I guess it depends on your kids. If they are the type to call all the time for everyday issues then I think it's ok to call right back.
If they rarely call I could see how you'd be more inclined to take the call on air.

I agree, reality needs to be explained to them. They need to know you are always there but that you have other responsibilities as well. SO my girls call me during the day for emergencies and all the other crap in the afternoon after work. I talk to them 2-3 times a day. They are both in grade school so it's not like they can't grasp reality that young.

Kids know.

Wow. Hadn't heard about this yet.

I'm sure new details will come to light over the next couple days, but for now not looking real good for Locke.