What's new

Game Thread Dec 03, 2021 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Celtics

Added to Calendar: 12-03-21

He’s going to be a rollercoaster. That’s what you should’ve been expecting with him.
Ride the waves. The good news is if he continues to struggle we can try some small ball stuff. Overall he’s been too good to mess with… now we can dabble maybe.

Good game. I get that we will have some turnovers but some of them are straight careless nonsense turnovers. That **** needs to go.

Officiating is wildly inconsistent. As Rudy Gay put it “can I get that call down there… then you gonna call that ********”. Marcus Smart is allowed to stab people with a trident and then he flips around and gets calls… Horford has a stiff arm on the driver the whole drive and nothing… bogey and JC getting called for touch fouls… it just seems there are two sets of rules based on reputation at times. The foul Rudy got where Smart flips into his legs repeatedly on a box out was egregious. What did the ref think happened based on how smart reacted… Rudy was backing away. Can’t reward that ******** for so many reasons.

Defense is not good.

Al Horford continues to shoot 69% against us from 3.

Grant Williams is All NBA Annoying Ho First Team. Fouls all game… argues every damn call, super punchable face.

The turnovers were weird, many of them were unforced and just complete laziness or lack of focus on our part. Thankfully our unreal shooting made up for it but we're not going to win many games when we turn it over like that.

Last edited:
Watched the replay game because I was waiting for my dad to get in town. What a win! Scared us. They tried hard to give this one way but won it anyway. Of course the officiating is still ****.
By the way, watching the game as a replay on league play is the way to go. Fast forward through all commercials and time outs and half time and such. Much faster, and more action for your time.

The turnovers were weird, many of them were unforced and just complete laziness or lack of focus on our part. Thankfully our unreal shooting made up for it, but we're not going to win many games when we turn it over like that.
This is the worst thing about this team by far. The sheer amount and stupidity of unforced turnovers. And we can't blame Quin's hyper-complicated schemes, because lots of these are just lazily thrown passes straight into the hands of the defense. It's mind-boggling. But apparently Quin doesn't care as it doesn't seem they worry about it much. They pay lip-Service but it doesn't really improve. It's maddening to watch. In the first quarter we just handed them the ball 5 times, 3 in a row, that all lead to scores. Otherwise we would have been ahead by 20+ and just rolling, but just giving the ****ing ball away just completely kills your momentum and energizes the other team. They get a handle on this and we'll win a lot more games.

I've been pretty discouraged and frustrated by our defense, and rightfully so since we've made no progress against 5 out offenses, and our defensive rotations when Rudy gets pulled out of the paint are still a mess.

On the other hand, I don't think there is a defense that can stop us. We've been destroying switching defenses regularly. Teams are throwing everything at us and basically the only way our offense struggles is when we have an off shooting night. We could be looking at a historically good offense this year.

I've been pretty discouraged and frustrated by our defense, and rightfully so since we've made no progress against 5 out offenses, and our defensive rotations when Rudy gets pulled out of the paint are still a mess.

On the other hand, I don't think there is a defense that can stop us. We've been destroying switching defenses regularly. Teams are throwing everything at us and basically the only way our offense struggles is when we have an off shooting night. We could be looking at a historically good offense this year.
Or when we throw the ball away for no reason.

Ride the waves. The good news is if he continues to struggle we can try some small ball stuff. Overall he’s been too good to mess with… now we can dabble maybe.

I think we would look pretty good with RG at the 5

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

By the way, watching the game as a replay on league play is the way to go. Fast forward through all commercials and time outs and half time and such. Much faster, and more action for your time.

How do you do that?

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Hope so (regarding offense). One of the two offensive things that stood out to me late in this game was letting Conley direct traffic for a spell instead of Mitchell. We were down four as I recall and instead of just casting off threes he played a couple of beautifully executed pick and rolls for Gobert. Mike is just so good at that.

The other of course was the absence of hero ball for the most part. Seemed like we were actually feeding the hot hand for a change as well. I feel like this game could be corner stone for us moving forward!

Last edited:
This is the worst thing about this team by far. The sheer amount and stupidity of unforced turnovers. And we can't blame Quin's hyper-complicated schemes, because lots of these are just lazily thrown passes straight into the hands of the defense. It's mind-boggling. But apparently Quin doesn't care as it doesn't seem they worry about it much. They pay lip-Service but it doesn't really improve. It's maddening to watch. In the first quarter we just handed them the ball 5 times, 3 in a row, that all lead to scores. Otherwise we would have been ahead by 20+ and just rolling, but just giving the ****ing ball away just completely kills your momentum and energizes the other team. They get a handle on this and we'll win a lot more games.
Along these lines, is it the new ball or something that is causing how much we are just bobbling the ball? Last night at least 4 different players dribbled off their own foot or otherwise just dropped the ball. Seems to be happening more than usual this year.

Along these lines, is it the new ball or something that is causing how much we are just bobbling the ball? Last night at least 4 different players dribbled off their own foot or otherwise just dropped the ball. Seems to be happening more than usual this year.
No it was super stupid careless passes or just not being aware that Boston has aggressive defenders. The three turnover that bothered me most were the Rudy one where he was dribbling in mid court, the Ingles hit ahead pass to Whiteside that was like 15 feet short, the Royce bullet pass to Rudy in the last few minutes that had zero chance of working. There were others that were a little more understandable I guess but they just show a lack of focus.

No it was super stupid careless passes or just not being aware that Boston has aggressive defenders. The three turnover that bothered me most were the Rudy one where he was dribbling in mid court, the Ingles hit ahead pass to Whiteside that was like 15 feet short, the Royce bullet pass to Rudy in the last few minutes that had zero chance of working. There were others that were a little more understandable I guess but they just show a lack of focus.
One theory, and I'm probably wrong, but maybe after 3 days of practicing against ourselves we got used to playing against a bad defense where lazy passes still work.

Yeah I addressed that in a different post. This was a corollary to it. We did a lot of bobbling the ball with minimal defensive pressure in addition to throwing the ball away a lot. I've noticed more bobbling the ball this year and wondered if it's partly the new ball.

The offensive dominance this year cannot be overstated. The Jazz are 4.4 points better than the second place Warriors. Same difference between 2nd and 15th.

It's not fun to watch Mitchell and Clarkson chuck when they are not making their shots, but there's something to their chucking that is allowing everyone else to be hyper efficient. It sucks when they take a bad shot when we could have gotten a better shot....but maybe there's an understated benefit to having every difficult shot taken by a decent shot maker. In other words, every difficult shot is taken by someone who is relatively good at taking those shots...even if they are inefficient compared to the average.

Last edited: