What's new

Game Thread Dec 13, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs Pelicans

Added to Calendar: 12-13-22

Last night is just another example of why coaches are dumb for worrying about foul trouble so much. Zion gets 3 fouls early so of course he gets yanked because they dont want him to foul out. He finishes the game with……. 3 fouls lol. So their coach only plays thier best player 26 minutes because they are scared he will foul out and not be on the court. So the coach takes him out which is literally not having him on the court.
Might as well play him until he fouls out. That way you know you got every possible minute you could out of your best player.

There is like a million examples of this.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Last night is just another example of why coaches are dumb for worrying about foul trouble so much. Zion gets 3 fouls early so of course he gets yanked because they dont want him to foul out. He finishes the game with……. 3 fouls lol. So their coach only plays thier best player 26 minutes because they are scared he will foul out and not be on the court. So the coach takes him out which is literally not having him on the court.
Might as well play him until he fouls out. That way you know you got every possible minute you could out of your best player.

amen. so effing stupid.

True, but on the flip side, Hardy left JV in when he got his 4th, and moments later he got his 5th and had to sit. It's not always about playing so-and-so many minutes, it matters to have your key players down the line in the 4th too.

amen. so effing stupid.

And another thing. When a player gets in foul trouble what does the opponent do? Goes after that player to try to make them get another foul right? Seems like you should be able to use that knowledge to your advantage somehow as that makes the opponent more predictable. You know where they want to go with the ball now.

You arent going to play the same with 3 fouls with 10 minute left in the 2nd quarter as you would 3 fouls in the 4th (especially Zion). His aggressiveness would go down, he would be very cautious not to foul, so he would be playing sub optimally while also being at risk of getting a 4th foul. Better to just rest them and let someone else play. The Pelicans played really well in those minutes as well, keeping the game very close.

You arent going to play the same with 3 fouls with 10 minute left in the 2nd quarter as you would 3 fouls in the 4th (especially Zion). His aggressiveness would go down, he would be very cautious not to foul, so he would be playing sub optimally while also being at risk of getting a 4th foul. Better to just rest them and let someone else play. The Pelicans played really well in those minutes as well, keeping the game very close.

No they did not lmao. They had 36 points and were up 1 with 9:25 left in the quarter. They ended up with 45 points and down 7 at half.

As Cy said, he might be the better option out of him and sexton to be point guard of the future (if we dont draft or trade for one). His size gives him an advantage and he appears to be a better outside shooter too.
Embarrassment of Riches. We seemingly went from no real point guards outside of Conley to finding minutes for all of them (including THT). So do we become buyers (or even sellers) at or before the deadline or just roll with what we know?

Zion is a fun player but it's fairly obvious that Ingram is their most important player.
Evidenced by the fact that they were 11-8 after the game where Ingram was injured and followed that with a 7 game win streak without him.

First of all, is there any debate that we’re the real deal? I think we gotta go full tilt with the idea of homecourt advantage in the playoffs and I believe it’s attainable. Is there anybody you’re scared of right now? Please, no more tank threads unless we look like a fringe player at or around the ASG. By that time I think we should have enough perspective and experience to know who we really are and what our chances are.

Could we be the first storybook ending since the 2004 Pistons beat the Dream Team Lakers in the finals? I mean the sky’s the limit right now it seems like. And yet, why does it feel like we’re being targeted by the refs?

I was shocked to see that Pels shot 33 free throws last night to our measly 12. And yet I also learned from a graphic in the preceding Houston/Phoenix game that the Jazz are the #2 team in the league (behind Houston) for field goals between 2-12 feet out. Seems like both the eye test and the data would suggest that we should be getting more help at the charity stripe.

But hey I guess if we can beat both the other team and the refs, like we did last night, it doesn’t even matter, right?

First of all, is there any debate that we’re the real deal? I think we gotta go full tilt with the idea of homecourt advantage in the playoffs and I believe it’s attainable. Is there anybody you’re scared of right now? Please, no more tank threads unless we look like a fringe player at or around the ASG. By that time I think we should have enough perspective and experience to know who we really are and what our chances are.

Could we be the first storybook ending since the 2004 Pistons beat the Dream Team Lakers in the finals? I mean the sky’s the limit right now it seems like. And yet, why does it feel like we’re being targeted by the refs?

I was shocked to see that Pels shot 33 free throws last night to our measly 12. And yet I also learned from a graphic in the preceding Houston/Phoenix game that the Jazz are the #2 team in the league (behind Houston) for field goals between 2-12 feet out. Seems like both the eye test and the data would suggest that we should be getting more help at the charity stripe.

But hey I guess if we can beat both the other team and the refs, like we did last night, it doesn’t even matter, right?
I wouldnt go full tilt in a sense of burning stacks of draft picks, but I'm not opposed to spending some making a targeted trade to bring in an immediate impact player... as long as he fits the long term plan as well.

I wouldnt go full tilt in a sense of burning stacks of draft picks, but I'm not opposed to spending some making a targeted trade to bring in an immediate impact player... as long as he fits the long term plan as well.
So what were you thinking? I almost hate to mess with the chemistry right now. Prolly just high from last night’s win though.