What's new

Game Thread Dec 13, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Knicks

Added to Calendar: 12-13-23

Lauri is what he is imo. He's not a shot creator. When the Jazz have a better primary creator Lauri will be a perfect pairing.
It's not that he needs some genius distributing PG (not many of those around in today's NBA anyway). Last season showed that when he plays with at least a couple of guys who have a clear pass-first mentality (Conley and Vando for example), he starts getting the ball on his cuts, which is what ne needs to be truly effective in the long run.

On the other hand, last season only 65% of his 2pt field goals were assisted. Now it's up to a whopping 74%, which is a career high. It just shows you that he's both being used as an off-ball spacer AND game planned for by teams more than ever.

I checked some more of his career stats. In his 2nd season Lauri averaged almost 20 points per game, with only 53% of his 2pt field goals being assisted. That's a massive difference from what we're seeing this season.

As for 3pt shots, Lauri's been strictly a catch & shoot / pick and pop player all his career, so that's not gonna change.

Last edited:
Good to see Lauri back and its apparent he just raises the confidence of the team a lot, albeit he was obviously on minute restrictions and moving much less than normally. Bummer about the George injury, hopefully he will be back before Clarkson as I want to see the Jazz with Keyonte leading the show and healthy Lauri before Clarkson comes back with his version of the show.

Few random takes:
  • I havent watched the Knicks much but I'm pretty sure Julius Randle is one of the most overappreciated players in the league. Dude just absolutely stops the ball every time he gets it and measures the guy in front of him for 5-10 seconds before doing anything. It was disgusting to watch even though I was rooting against him.
  • Jalen Brunson gets such a generous whistle. Like what the hell were some of those fouls? I'm just happy the 11 FT discrepancy wasnt enough for them to win.
  • Sexton was a firecracker and competed so hard. His best game of the year.
  • Hendricks is a joy to watch, even if he doesnt do much more on offense but space the court at this point. He is gonna be really good. He got a "welcome to the NBA moment" when his dunk was blocked by Hartenstein but I was so happy he didnt seem to care and went back to drive and dunk like 2 plays later.
  • THT was absolutely horrible to start the game and then he suddenly turned into a world beater late. What else is new.
  • Ochai shot really bad in this one, but played great on defense.
  • Kris Dunn played very composed and stabilized the team offensively. His 7 assists were great, and none better than his lob to the back door cutting Kessler. On defense he had few dumb reach fouls but he played hard and earned his +13 rating.

Last edited:
It's funny though how Randle is like the polar opposite of Lauri in terms of decisiveness. Its like one is wired with 100GB fiber optic lines and the other one has 9600 baud dial-in modem attached to copper wirings.

Just look at the box score. Great win. We probably not bad enough to tank hard with Lauri. Lauri did not play heavy min, will be play tomorrow in B2B?

Having Lauri back makes a HUGE difference. We just don't have many efficient offensive players, and Lauri is so important to our offense. He doesn't make others better in the traditional sense of passing/distributing, but does in the sense of taking defensive pressure off them.

Sexton was so good that game. If he could play every game like that we would be a much different team. Being able to hit a couple of pull up 3's per game can open his game up a a ton. Having the ability to drive and kick will make him much better.

I'm super excited about having some defensive potential. Hendricks has been great and is making a big impact on our defensive potential.

Collin Sexton’s last 7 games:

18.7 PPG, 4.7 APG, 3.6 RPG on 52.3% shooting from the field in 25.1 mins per game. One of the best parts? Only 1.8 TOPG.
That's awesome! My favorite part is the 52%

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Having Lauri back makes a HUGE difference. We just don't have many efficient offensive players, and Lauri is so important to our offense. He doesn't make others better in the traditional sense of passing/distributing, but does in the sense of taking defensive pressure off them.

Sexton was so good that game. If he could play every game like that we would be a much different team. Being able to hit a couple of pull up 3's per game can open his game up a a ton. Having the ability to drive and kick will make him much better.

I'm super excited about having some defensive potential. Hendricks has been great and is making a big impact on our defensive potential.
I think the last part of your post is the exact reason we shouldnt yet scoff at this year. We need better guard play for sure (albeit I feel like Sexton/THT/Dunn combo had their best combined game by a mile), but last year we couldnt force shot clock violations or even bad shots really from any starting 5 in the league.... Now its happening a lot more often and if we find some groove and momentum offensively we might start to improve our record as the season goes along.

I mean biggest hindrance to our defensive rating this year has been giving up free points off turnovers and fouling too much.

That all being said, I want to find maximum minutes for George and Hendricks as they both look like they got good stuff brewing, and if that makes us stay as a bottom 5 team then so be it.

Good to see Lauri back and its apparent he just raises the confidence of the team a lot, albeit he was obviously on minute restrictions and moving much less than normally. Bummer about the George injury, hopefully he will be back before Clarkson as I want to see the Jazz with Keyonte leading the show and healthy Lauri before Clarkson comes back with his version of the show.

Few random takes:
  • I havent watched the Knicks much but I'm pretty sure Julius Randle is one of the most overappreciated players in the league. Dude just absolutely stops the ball every time he gets it and measures the guy in front of him for 5-10 seconds before doing anything. It was disgusting to watch even though I was rooting against him.
  • Jalen Brunson gets such a generous whistle. Like what the hell were some of those fouls? I'm just happy the 11 FT discrepancy wasnt enough for them to win.
  • Sexton was a firecracker and competed so hard. His best game of the year.
  • Hendricks is a joy to watch, even if he doesnt do much more on offense but space the court at this point. He is gonna be really good. He got a "welcome to the NBA moment" when his dunk was blocked by Hartenstein but I was so happy he didnt seem to care and went back to drive and dunk like 2 plays later.
  • THT was absolutely horrible to start the game and then he suddenly turned into a world beater late. What else is new.
  • Ochai shot really bad in this one, but played great on defense.
  • Kris Dunn played very composed and stabilized the team offensively. His 7 assists were great, and none better than his lob to the back door cutting Kessler. On defense he had few dumb reach fouls but he played hard and earned his +13 rating.
That lob to Kessler was awesome. Kessler dunked over like 3 dudes including a teammate iirc.
I would love to see that one again (a highlight video) if anyone can post it for me.

That lob to Kessler was awesome. Kessler dunked over like 3 dudes including a teammate iirc.
I would love to see that one again (a highlight video) if anyone can post it for me.

When looking for this, I also noticed it was Dunn who made that full court pass to Ochai. That was also an impressive assist by him.

Here is the dunk tho:

View: https://x.com/utahjazz/status/1735144808279425301?s=20

This is all quite obvious to anyone with eyeballs.

How can you not like the guy?

He does seem to work hard. Its pretty easy not to like him though. He is pretty obnoxious on the court and his teammates have frequently got irritated with him on past teams and the Jazz for putting his head down and just trying to score no matter what the defense or teammates are doing. Guys are wide open and he just takes it every time. Even this game he was better but still left teammates hanging out open while he takes hard shots. Lauri has got frustrated a couple times in the past, last game THT got upset and others have as well. This game was much better in that regard. Usually his only assists come when he gets himself too deep and double covered and kicks it to anyone else on the team open if he doesnt force the shot. But this game and a few other games more latley he has been much more alert of his teammates and the defense in general. I still only like him in a off the bench scoring role when he is needed and things are going well. He is an awful fit with THT and Clarkson on the team though. I am shocked how much people like watching him play. His defense is always rough but he does try hard, he is just too small and cant stay in front of his guy.

He does seem to work hard. Its pretty easy not to like him though. He is pretty obnoxious on the court and his teammates have frequently got irritated with him on past teams and the Jazz for putting his head down and just trying to score no matter what the defense or teammates are doing. Guys are wide open and he just takes it every time. Even this game he was better but still left teammates hanging out open while he takes hard shots. Lauri has got frustrated a couple times in the past, last game THT got upset and others have as well. This game was much better in that regard. Usually his only assists come when he gets himself too deep and double covered and kicks it to anyone else on the team open if he doesnt force the shot. But this game and a few other games more latley he has been much more alert of his teammates and the defense in general. I still only like him in a off the bench scoring role when he is needed and things are going well. He is an awful fit with THT and Clarkson on the team though. I am shocked how much people like watching him play. His defense is always rough but he does try hard, he is just too small and cant stay in front of his guy.

Sexton is second on the team in potential assists behind Keyonte in the last 7 games. He started the year off playing less than stellar but he’s starting to turn it on.

The play last night where he ignored Fonzie was really bad.

Sexton is second on the team in potential assists behind Keyonte in the last 7 games. He started the year off playing less than stellar but he’s starting to turn it on.
He has been passing more. Hopefully it keeps improving. He still needs big improvements in this area. He just has low court awareness. He seems like he can't do two things. He is either driving and trying to score or looking for the pass. He drives and realizes he has nothing then looks for a pass or forces a bad shot. He doesn't often notice cutters or guys getting left open until he has decided to pass. But games like this are a big improvement and he is young maybe his bb iq will go up with time. Mostly I want his trade stock to improve. But he could be a decent 6/7 th guy potentially

The play last night where he ignored Fonzie was really bad.
I agree and posted about it twice.
However, there was only like 2 or 3 seconds left in the quarter and he had a full head of steam with only 1 dude back under the rim and the dude back wasn't a big guy iirc. He scores in that situation the vast majority of the time and he might not have thought he had the time on the clock to make the pass and have Simone get the shot off
He should have made the pass but in the context of the situation it wasn't as egregious.