What's new

Game Thread Dec 26, 2023 06:00PM MT: Jazz at Spurs

Added to Calendar: 12-26-23

Has anything come out about why THT didnt play?

He wasnt super active during warmups and I didnt see him at the half-time warmups.
I haven't heard anything but I figure its because we are healthy and because Dunn, who is usually the DNP guy in this scenario, finished so well in the previous game so hardy gave him the nod. Hardy aint gonna sit george, sexton has been balling out, not gonna sit clarkson and dunn earned time recently. So it came down to THT and ochai I guess and he chose to sit THT. Add in that THT was coming back from an ailment. Thats just my thinking though.
We really need a trade

Any evidence of sexton going of script on the play the he was yelled at for?
This is what tanktastic posted: Sexton got the timeout called and screamed at not for the dunk, but for being a half-step too far from Vassell and allowing a catch & shoot 3.
Being a half step too far from his man isn't going off script imo, and like tanktastic said is something that happens dozens of times in a game.
Yes, it's a gameplan thing. Part of the gameplan is who you help off of and how much and when you help. It's also something Sexton does often. IDK what play to timestamp for you, but I was at the game live and it was obvious Hardy was mad at Sexton for defense, not a dunk.

There was also a play where Sexton left his man to do like a soft double that did absolutely nothing and his man backdoored him for an easy dunk that you could see coming a mile away.

Also, we played Lauri at the 5 and it was amazing. Still think that is ultimately going to be our best playoff lineup at some point in the years to come. Not something you play a ton, but a 10 minute per game lineup where you just absolutely dominate.

I saw a few twitter reports that he was confused for an average San Antonio woman and was sent back to the churro line.
Lololololol
Post of the thread

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Yes, it's a gameplan thing. Part of the gameplan is who you help off of and how much and when you help. It's also something Sexton does often. IDK what play to timestamp for you, but I was at the game live and it was obvious Hardy was mad at Sexton for defense, not a dunk.
This was the play.

I mean, he's on Vassell - not asleep 6 ft away. Just not plastered to him, which allows the catch & shoot over him.

Also, we played Lauri at the 5 and it was amazing. Still think that is ultimately going to be our best playoff lineup at some point in the years to come. Not something you play a ton, but a 10 minute per game lineup where you just absolutely dominate.
That was because it was Wemby. And he's the only 7-footer that Lauri can absolutely physically dominate, bully and take his candy away. It won't look pretty against someone else. Could work against someone like Porzingis or Vucevic, but other top big guys would feast. And Lauri is a clear plus defender, when used against guys his style on D suits, but he isn't what he isn't.

It's funny how people were complaining about our guard play all year but after watching Detroit, Toronto, and San Antonio three games in a row, our guards smoke their guards.
Sexton and THT have really turned the corner. So much so that I’ll be pissed if they’re gone at the deadline. Move Clarkson, I can live with that. He’s a ball stopper and too old to build around anyway.

This was the play.

I mean, he's on Vassell - not asleep 6 ft away. Just not plastered to him, which allows the catch & shoot over him.

That was because it was Wemby. And he's the only 7-footer that Lauri can absolutely physically dominate, bully and take his candy away. It won't look pretty against someone else. Could work against someone like Porzingis or Vucevic, but other top big guys would feast. And Lauri is a clear plus defender, when used against guys his style on D suits, but he isn't what he isn't.
For some reason teh NBA.com videos arent working for me lately so I cant comment.

Sexton and Hardy have a relationship where Hardy can be harder on Sexton than others. That’s what Sexton wants. He’s a ****ing dawg.
That's kind of my thought on it as well. If hardy is that hard on a different player for a minor thing then he will lose them so he knows he has to take it easier.
Sexton can handle it though.

That's kind of my thought on it as well. If hardy is that hard on a different player for a minor thing then he will lose them so he knows he has to take it easier.
Sexton can handle it though.

Sarah Todd reported that is the case so people shouldn’t read into it as deep as they are.

My point was that Hardy has preached loudly how everyone has to play "the right way" or there will be consequences. Which never arrive. His bluff has definitely been called. I'm not saying he should be benching players left and right, but the minutes and rotation seem to be completely unrelated to how a player performs and gives effort.

And playing the right way and giving maximum effort of course is the only way this Jazz team can win against teams that aren't full-on tanking.

Not concerned one bit about Sexton, I'm sure he's fine. But coming out to the logo to scream at a player for the tv cameras to capture every syllable is a decision. Hardy could've done that at the bench, five seconds later and no-one but the team and the San Antonio front row would be any the wiser about it.

Threatening to limit minutes if players don't play hard for the Jazz jersey and then not doing it, and berating players in the most public way for minor mistakes is not a style of coaching that can last long in the modern NBA.

Jazz are back where they were last season. Lauri, Clarkson, Sexton and Kessler are too much talent to really tank. Also, give Will Hardy credit for generating as many open 3pt looks as he does with pretty mediocre point guard play.

We are catching up to last years record, except now we are trending in the right direction.

Part of it is opponent strength but we have also played progressively better as a team.

Our next 4 games we can theoretically tie the record vs last year albeit I doubt we win all 4. However it is perfectly plausible that by January 18th we are tied or ahead of last years record. All we need is a 7-5 stretch (and we play 8 of those 12 at home).

This season is starting to get really interesting. Just three weeks ago it seemed like there was no hope, we were playing terrible basketball, and a there was a resigned consensus emerging – maybe it did make sense to trade Lauri and the rest of the vets scorched-earth style and embrace a painful multi-year rebuild.

But winning tends to change things. Now we have 6 W's in 8 games and things are unexpectedly looking better. If the team miraculously manages to keep this up for a while, IMO we're facing a situation where Danny is risking the wrath of the large casual fanbase (you know, the people who matter) if he basically repeats last season's fire sale and again pulls the rug from under the team to go into tanking mode. Back then there was the rather dubious justification that we were improving our Wemby odds in the final stretch, but how do you explain such a move this time?

Last edited:
This season is starting to get really interesting. Just three weeks ago it seemed like there was no hope, we were playing terrible basketball, and a there was a resigned consensus emerging – maybe it did make sense to trade Lauri and the rest of the vets scorched-earth style and embrace a painful multi-year rebuild.

But winning tends to change things. Now we have 6 W's in 8 games and things are unexpectedly looking better. If the team miraculously manages to keep this up for a while, IMO we're facing a situation where Danny is risking the wrath of the large casual fanbase (you know, the people who matter) if he basically repeats last season's fire sale and again pulls the rug from under the team to go into tanking mode. Back then there was the rather dubious justification that we were improving our Wemby odds in the final stretch, but how do you explain such a move this time?
I could see ainge trading a couple of guys that piss off the casual fan but actually make the team better.