What's new

Game Thread Dec 26, 2023 06:00PM MT: Jazz at Spurs

Added to Calendar: 12-26-23

Tay Henny showed that he knows how to chuck and miss.
Ya rough couple minutes for him.
He did have one really nice one handed rebound that he went way up for though.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

It's funny how people were complaining about our guard play all year but after watching Detroit, Toronto, and San Antonio three games in a row, our guards smoke their guards.

SA have zero defense. Winning game like that is just normal. Let's wait the next 2 before getting too excited. Memphis wil make a run and be back in play in or play off position, Portland is starting to play better, GSW will stand up. We beat many bad teams but there is some progress. If Lauri and JC play this level,we may surprise people. Will also depend on trade situation.

Yeah just like in the Raptors game we controlled this game right from the start. Its weird that we seem to shoot 3s pretty bad in the 1st quarter while all our opponents seem to catch fire early. This game was more of the same, where we shot 1/8 from 3 in the first and they shot 6/10 (probably something like 6/7 in the first 8 minutes). I claim our looks were better on average.

KO and Collins are a horrible fit with zero paint presence. Kessler and KO worked well last year because they complement each other but KO/Collins is just tiny bit of extra offense at the cost of garbage rim defense. I actually think Hendricks might be the best fit we have to play with Collins if Hardy wants Collins to play 5 on offense. KO/Kessler we know is a solid product.

It was nice to see Keyonte back. He definitely looks like a rookie at times especially on defense where he overplays every shot fake, but he had a few nice moments offensively and I thought that one blocking foul he got called for should have been a charge instead (didnt see the replay though). Him and Clarkson definitely deserve a slap on their wrists for not getting back on defense after that one turnover by George.

Before the game I was about to post that one of Sexton/THT/JC needs to sit but I thought Hardy wouldn't do that as its hard to justify one of them being worthy of benching over the other two, but apparently Hardy now understands that those 3 just cannot combine for 60-70 minutes if he also insists on playing George 20+ (which he definitely should do).

Takes:

- I was happy to see Dunn playing within himself. That's really the key for him. When Kris sticks to facilitating, moving the ball, rebounding and smart defense, he's a useful player at 20mpg. What we don't need is him using possessions to dribble into the trees to do his bump-pivot-bump-pivot routine. He seems to have cut down on that stuff lately, though. Playing Dunn with Kessler is somewhat problematic because it puts a lot of pressure on the guys who can/will shoot, but that's why he's a max 20 minute player. Good game overall.

- I can't remember Lauri taking a single dribble in half court in this game. This was one of those magic trick games where he didn't seem to even touch the ball that much but scored 30+. Just a masterclass in supreme efficiency. Apparently the Spurs had never heard that this guy is a pretty good pick and pop shooter. How do you constantly lose him?

- Keyonte's OK box score really flatters him. Like I've said before, he has some raw talent for seeing cutters and zipping passes to them, but he's lacking every other NBA point guard instinct right now. I'm just not convinced that's his long term role. I get that Hardy is apparently telling him to look for his own shot more, but IMO that's just adding to his confusion.

- Wemby is so lost. He seems to have zero chemistry with his teammates and they're almost freezing him out. It's a tough situation – many of those guys know that they're essentially playing to be replaced.

Hardy's "play hard and pass" and "you have to want to wear the Jazz jersey" seem like complete ******** after a game like this. Keyonte in the 3Q played some of the worst basketball of the whole season. No defense. The same turnover over and over again. Not even taking a step to get back after the turnover. No effort. Selfish and stupid.

Yeah, sure, rookies make mistakes. If a rookie doesn't give a crap and gives zero effort, why does he get a completely free pass?

And then he takes a timeout and comes out to the logo to scream at Sexton in front of everybody.

The same silly pass twice and not even a thought of getting back on D. On the second the Spur who was probably 20 ft behind George comes and scores.

Hardy's "play hard and pass" and "you have to want to wear the Jazz jersey" seem like complete ******** after a game like this. Keyonte in the 3Q played some of the worst basketball of the whole season. No defense. The same turnover over and over again. Not even taking a step to get back after the turnover. No effort. Selfish and stupid.

Yeah, sure, rookies make mistakes. If a rookie doesn't give a crap and gives zero effort, why does he get a completely free pass?

And then he takes a timeout and comes out to the logo to scream at Sexton in front of everybody.

The same silly pass twice and not even a thought of getting back on D. On the second the Spur who was probably 20 ft behind George comes and scores.

There are so many things wrong about this post....

He puts in a lot of effort on D but he just isn't very good at it. He bites to pump fakes and leaves his feet way too easily, which is a height thing as much as a rookie thing. He is also THE ONLY Jazz guard this season to draw a charge, and even though he has gotten blocking fouls called on him way more often (had 1 this game as well) it still shows that he is willing to take a hit. You dont do that if you dont care.

Btw its not surprising that Olynyk leads the team in charges drawn (5), but its quite incredible that Keyonte is 2nd with 2 while all other guards combine for 0 (FWIW Collins has 2, Samanic and Kessler both have 1).

He puts in a lot of effort on D but he just isn't very good at it. He bites to pump fakes and leaves his feet way too easily, which is a height thing as much as a rookie thing. He is also THE ONLY Jazz guard this season to draw a charge, and even though he has gotten blocking fouls called on him way more often (had 1 this game as well) it still shows that he is willing to take a hit. You dont do that if you dont care.

Btw its not surprising that Olynyk leads the team in charges drawn (5), but its quite incredible that Keyonte is 2nd with 2 while all other guards combine for 0 (FWIW Collins has 2, Samanic and Kessler both have 1).
His part of his post about Sexton getting screamed at for any mistake and Key getting very little of the same seems accurate though.

He puts in a lot of effort on D but he just isn't very good at it.
For the whole season I would agree. Yesterday he put in zero effort, completely gave up on multiple plays and simple gifted the Spurs buckets. Even veterans/starters on many NBA teams would have gotten benched, no matter what, for such awful lack of any interest.

His part of his post about Sexton getting screamed at for any mistake and Key getting very little of the same seems accurate though.
Hardy scoffed both Keyonte and Clarkson after that play... I dont know if you both were watching the Jazz feed but in the Spurs feed the announcers said: "Will Hardy is nonplussed right now. He is not happy with the effort they are giving." The cameras didn't catch it, but it doesnt mean it didnt happen.

Besides what Sexton did was WAY worse (intentional showboating in a close game with 20 minutes left). Every single coach in the league goes super hard on their players if they do that, and some would just bench the guy without giving him another minute.