What's new

Game Thread Dec 28, 2023 06:00PM MT: Jazz at Pelicans

Added to Calendar: 12-28-23

Key was rough tonight… JC was gawd awful. Sexton continues his strong play. Had a few really bad defensive moments but wasn’t a great defensive night from anyone really.

Pretty meh game after the first. We really gotta make some deals and play the youngsters and actually ask them to do stuff. Key was so passive tonight he needs to be looking to attack out of actions and not just run the three man weave.

Key was rough tonight… JC was gawd awful. Sexton continues his strong play. Had a few really bad defensive moments but wasn’t a great defensive night from anyone really.

Pretty meh game after the first. We really gotta make some deals and play the youngsters and actually ask them to do stuff. Key was so passive tonight he needs to be looking to attack out of actions and not just run the three man weave.

I think we need to pump the breaks on Keyonte a little. He has been really bad shooting the ball. 49.0 TS% which would be worst in the entire league if he met the qualifier.

I think we need to pump the breaks on Keyonte a little. He has been really bad shooting the ball. 49.0 TS% which would be worst in the entire league if he met the qualifier.
I keep thinking the catch and shoot percentage will climb but it’s not.

In his defense one was a heave. He’s just not hitting the outside shot as much as you’d hope. Only his second game back but there’s some evidence building that his shot isn’t as good as many of us think it should be.

Too bad because he's a really good facilitator.

A bunch of things went wrong tonight and we were still within a couple 50/50 balls of beating a solid team on the road. Would have liked to see more minutes for Kessler and fewer for Clarkson. Also, THT should have gotten some first half minutes to help him get in rhythm. It wasn't Hardy's best night by a long shot, but overall not a bad loss.

We should've done this a few games back. You think it was a coincident that we are 4-2 in the 6 games he's missed? Forget about the poor shooting. His poor defense alone was enough to cost us games.

I think that was a pretty decent game considering its the last of a 5 game road trip. Definitely had a chance to win but came up short due to a number of things.
  • We dominated the offensive glass and used our strenghts to perfection to compensate for a bad shooting night.
  • Clarkson, Keyonte and Tech all had rough games for various different reasons. Clarkson had by far the biggest negative impact of them and like half of his touches in the half-court lead to either turnovers or his own missed shots. Tech was fouling everything and Keyonte wasnt hitting anything.
  • Lauri struggled hitting his shots but he was great on the offensive boards and had another promising 5 assist game (2nd time in 3 games!).
All in all mainly a positive display on the road against a playoff caliber team. We could have taken this simply without Clarksons turnovers or with Lauri, JC and Keyonte hitting their shots at a more decent rate.

Pros:
+ Our starting five (or any lineup with Dunn, Sexton, Lauri and Walker) were pretty competitive against their starting five. Although Valanciunas helped a lot by killing any momentum they were about to have.
+ Herb didn't give Lauri anything for free, but Lauri still contributed until the very end despite having no legs left.
+ On the offensive end, Sexton has made great strides in getting rid of bad habits. His drives led constantly to a good shot selection or to a kick-out, and when neither of those were available, he kept his dribble alive.

Cons:
- The second unit was struggling big time. My favorite possession was when KO and Walker were both standing at the dunker spot, and Clarkson, Keyonte and THT took turns taking a dribble or two and passing the ball to the next guy. Not a single step was taken without the ball.

In his defense one was a heave. He’s just not hitting the outside shot as much as you’d hope. Only his second game back but there’s some evidence building that his shot isn’t as good as many of us think it should be.
His shot is just fine and will start falling.

Pros:
+ Our starting five (or any lineup with Dunn, Sexton, Lauri and Walker) were pretty competitive against their starting five. Although Valanciunas helped a lot by killing any momentum they were about to have.
+ Herb didn't give Lauri anything for free, but Lauri still contributed until the very end despite having no legs left.
+ On the offensive end, Sexton has made great strides in getting rid of bad habits. His drives led constantly to a good shot selection or to a kick-out, and when neither of those were available, he kept his dribble alive.

Cons:
- The second unit was struggling big time. My favorite possession was when KO and Walker were both standing at the dunker spot, and Clarkson, Keyonte and THT took turns taking a dribble or two and passing the ball to the next guy. Not a single step was taken without the ball.
Really good summary

His shot is just fine and will start falling.
36/32 splits are not just fine. He;s shooting 67% from the FT line in December. It's been awful.

Good lord people. You can point out something bad a rookie is doing. This crazy need to paint everything in a positive light is ridiculous and just completely unserious behavior.

36/32 splits are not just fine. He;s shooting 67% from the FT line in December. It's been awful.

Good lord people. You can point out something bad a rookie is doing. This crazy need to paint everything in a positive light is ridiculous and just completely unserious behavior.

Yeah, he’s been pretty terrible shooting the ball. I don’t know how someone can say it’s fine when he has the worst TS% in the league.

Key was really, really struggling, had the monster game vs OKC and then gets injured early in the Knicks game. In his absence the Jazz looked decent.

The form looks good but he hasn’t been a dead eye shooter in college or the pros. I believe he will be a good shooter but with each game he struggles my faith drops a bit.

To be a good shooter the ball must go in the hoop. There are plenty of guys with nice looking jumpers that don’t go in enough.

The form looks good but he hasn’t been a dead eye shooter in college or the pros. I believe he will be a good shooter but with each game he struggles my faith drops a bit.

To be a good shooter the ball must go in the hoop. There are plenty of guys with nice looking jumpers that don’t go in enough.
Yeah, it's always going to look good.

I'm not panicked, like I said, I still think he has bright future, but at some point he has to start putting together better games for me to be excited like that about him.

Keyonte will turn it around. Simone looked like complete *** last year (like, halfway out of the NBA), and he's a full grown-up.

- George

Lots of players who look like **** continue looking like **** though.

But I do think Keyonte will be okay. I don't think he'll ever be an all-star personally, but he has the tools to be an average starter.