What's new

Delon Wright - Any Interest?

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
2024 Award Winner
I keep hearing he is available on various pods... Makes sense since Dallas is looking at hunting big game in next summer's FA bonanza. Some of the insiders indicate he might be someone they'd have to give something to get off but he only makes $9M a year and has two more years on his deal.

The trade would be Ed and Tony's expiring deal for Delon... they might offer up a second... one guy on the athletic said they might move him with #19... I don't see his deal as negative and definitely don't think its THAT negative. Good defender - gets a lot of deflections, steals and he has great size. Would fit with any of our backcourt guys pretty well. If you can pick up a second or maybe move up a few slots while doing it then great.

I keep hearing he is available on various pods... Makes sense since Dallas is looking at hunting big game in next summer's FA bonanza. Some of the insiders indicate he might be someone they'd have to give something to get off but he only makes $9M a year and has two more years on his deal.

The trade would be Ed and Tony's expiring deal for Delon... they might offer up a second... one guy on the athletic said they might move him with #19... I don't see his deal as negative and definitely don't think its THAT negative. Good defender - gets a lot of deflections, steals and he has great size. Would fit with any of our backcourt guys pretty well. If you can pick up a second or maybe move up a few slots while doing it then great.
Is he starting or coming off the bench? It’s a no if he’s starting

20 mins a game, a do it all kind of guy. My biggest surprise is his 3 pt%. He was not good in college, he is 37% last year and 34% overall with two attempts per game.

Honestly, I take him. He can come off the bench, he can play with Conley or Mitchell and you have him for two more years. If you like him, he can take over for Conley when Conley's contract expires and if you don't like him, he is a valuable role player the next two years then you let him walk. I think he'd be a great fit.

It makes a little bit of a crowd if JC comes back but if Delon was working well you could move one of the other guys. He gives us some JC insurance too if the price tag gets too high.

The trade would be Ed and Tony's expiring deal for Delon... they might offer up a second... one guy on the athletic said they might move him with #19... I don't see his deal as negative and definitely don't think its THAT negative.
They'd be crazy to give up 18 outright, but I wonder if they'd swap 18 for 23.

I would do the deal to get rid of Ed and Tony but I would like the pick too. We could use one of them to get Cy's guy out of Nevada. Then use the other on a big.

Last edited:
yep. he'd be our 7th or 8th best player and fill in the rotation right away. he isn't great, but still better than most of our bench.

I'd like to see him out of Dallas. Carlisle likes to mix things up with his rotations and they have plenty of guards. Delon has proven value when given minutes. He is turned himself into a good spot up shooter and is very aggressive on both ends , I think he would see good minutes under coach Q.

For Ed and Tony? And it comes with a pick? **** yes—especially since it forces the org to go a different direction with the backup big.
We aren’t in a luxurious spot when it comes to perimeter defenders. So, yeah.

For Ed and Tony? And it comes with a pick? **** yes—especially since it forces the org to go a different direction with the backup big.
We aren’t in a luxurious spot when it comes to perimeter defenders. So, yeah.
The athletic Dallas guy seemed to think it'd take a pick to offload the salary... tbh I don't think so. Even if we got 31 instead of 18 that'd be a nice pull.

We're planning to re-sign Clarkson, no?
You could have both and having one more rotation guard means you don't feel as inclined to overpay JC. The backcourt gets a little crowded but I think you can mix Wright in with other guards because he's got great size. You could also move on from JC in a sign and trade or Conley in a trade for a wing or big.

If the plan was to move Mike to the bench I think Wright would work pretty well with him and it might make the rotations jive a little better. If you traded Mike then I think Wright and JC work pretty well because JC can cook and Wright can defend and handle some PG duties. JC is a combo guard but is more like a ball handling SG.

Not sure how well a Joe, JC, Wright bench unit would work. Delon would be a shooter (not his strong suit) and defender... wouldn't see the ball much in that alignment.

I've been looking for a solid target we could use the expirings of Ed and Tony for... Its guys like Kyle Anderson, Aminu, Thad Young and Delon Wright. Could also work a sign and trade but that's a little tricky. Wright kinda peaked my interest when I kept hearing they'd like to clear that money and might attach an asset. He's not a world beater but would give us a defender on the perimeter.

I think the wish is to resign JC but he is making sounds like he is going elsewhere.
Not sure what you are hearing... not sure where he'd go. Capspace teams aren't likely to use space on him and there won't be a lot of good MLE options.